General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Joe Gibbs Racing Soon To Race Toyotas

Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Gibbs Racing Soon To Race Toyotas

Just thought some of the nascar guys would like to see it and see what they think about it.

I am thinking Toyota put out a good chunk of change to pull them in.
http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2007/09/joe-gibbs-racin.html

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/FREE/70905003/1531/FREE

Last edited by DaMole; 09-05-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Shoot I got reading the some darwins thread and was laughing so hard I posted it in the wrong place.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
To me Joe Gibbs just sold his soul, but hey...money talks. I wonder how much he got?

Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I think it is great, now maybe Toy will start kicking some Chevy and well those other teams butt....good for a sport that is as close to WWF as it can be.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bad part is,if the toys kick the chevies butts,they will most likely be kicking the fords butts as well,because ford is a step behind chevy on the COT which they will be running full seoson next year

Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Who really cares? Its not Toyota, Ford, Dodge or Chevy vehicles you see on the track. Selling your soul... its a freaking business and he made what he thought was the best financial descision --- its not a church. Let's get real! Don't anyone tell me for one instant that if your boss offered you a raise you wouldn't take it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
jomac11
Elder User
Basically, Gibbs went to Toyotas because it was the only place that they could be #1. At GM, they were #2 or #3 to Hendrick/RCR. Plus you figure Toyota is giving them a lot more money than GM was, the kicker is that TRD has like 240 employees that are dedicated to working on nascar, GM has 6 (I think those were the #'s, read them on ESPN.com). I think it was a stupid move on their part, because it is going to take them a long time to get the Toyota engine right. I dont expect them to win a race until during the chase next year.

It has also screwed them for this year, because there is no way GM is going to give them any help during the chase, and neither will the other teams. So, not only are they screwed for most of next year, but they basically took stewart and hamlin out of the chase for this year.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Don't anyone tell me for one instant that if your boss offered you a raise you wouldn't take it.
Well by gawd, if they made me drive one of them dad-gum Toyota's I sure a heck wouldn't take it...I'd rather walk carrying a Ford hubcap than drive one of them Toyota's...By gawd!!!

Tim

Old 09-06-2007, 01:59 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Don't anyone tell me for one instant that if your boss offered you a raise you wouldn't take it.
It would depend on what the job entailed.

I've known a few people who declined a raise and promotion because of the new position requirements.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Where did I say "promotion." I said a "raise."

If you got more money and more support for doing the same job with the same responsibilities, you'd take it, wouldn't you? Especially if it meant less headaches because you'll be able to hire additional help.

Let's see:

1. More money
2. More equipment
3. More support
4. More people
5. Less worry about all the above
6. Doing the same job.

And all he has to do is exchange/change decals. Sounds like sound business judgement. I don't fault anyone for making the best choices for themselves and their families.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 09-06-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
CLVNGR
Junior User
I was dead against it, but after watching NASCAR Now yesterday, I feel a little better about it. JB Gibbs said, if Tony was not on board with this, then they wouldn't have done...period. I think it will be good because Gibbs is established unlike any of the current Yota teams, other then Bill Davis (that's why Dave Blaney is doing better then anyone else), because they've been in the business for so many years, and have their act together for the most part. Yota also told Gibbs that they'll basically get first dibs on the best they have to offer, because they would be the best Yota team out there. Gibbs also has better technology then the others do too...and the money to put on it. I've been a Stewart fan since he rookie season, so believe me...I wasn't happy at ALL. I wasn't happy when they went to Chevy, but since Pontiac was going away anyway...I didn't bother me as much. I'm a die hard Ford man...but that's besides the point. I look at it this way...the cars will all be COT, so it's sort of gonna be an even playing field. Plus...Tony can drive anything no matter what it is. I've seen him go from a Cup car one day to driving a World of Outlaws, and win both races. As long as the car itself holds up...he'll be fine...same with Hamlin. Of course Kyle Busch will be with them too...so Gibbs will be a team to keep an eye on. They'll definitely be the best Yota team. ANYWAY...GO SMOKE GO!!!!

Last edited by CLVNGR; 09-06-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:18 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FTE Ken, I know what you said.

I was thinking more along the lines of pay raise AND promotion.

Of course no one in their right mind would decline a "raise".

It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not surprised one bit. Everyone knew when Toyota got in they would head to the top as soon as they could. Look at the truck series. Toyota is #1 and it only took a few years to get there. I was told by a NAPA owner that TRD is an American owned company that works for Toyota. They own the racing division of Toyota.
Second is NASCAR still racing? Went you minipulate the finishes by throwing yellow flags. I agree with those that call NASCAR the WWF of racing. If you want to watch REAL RACING head to your local dirt or paved track. That is what I call REAL RACERS RACING. I do watch NASCAR some of the time & I have respect for Joe Gibbs. He is a man of faith that walks his talk. He lets his employees be who they are. Tony Stewart is about the only driver that doesn't kiss NASCARS A$$. He will speak out even if it cost him a fine, but you never hear of Joe Gibbs or his Racing Team trying to change Tony. To me that is some people I can respect. I wish them the very best with Toyota. I have owned Toyota's and they have always given me excellent service. Their dealers have never given me the crap that Ford, Dodge or GM dealer have.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 PM
jomac11
Elder User
Do I blame Gibbs for taking the money? No, but he is taking money at the expense of success for a while. They will be good later on, but right away, they are gonna suck. The big question is, do they start working on the toyota motor now, and hope they have a big enough gun for the chase...They either sacrifice this chase for the next one, or vice-versa.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs Racing Soon To Race Toyotas