1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Sand Blasting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sand Blasting

Ok... newbe question (again).
I built a blaster cabinet (like Earl's) and am getting ready to set up the "air"... I want to lubricate my air tools... but I'm thinkin I should use a separate "line" to run the blaster... don't want no oil on the blasted iron...
Am I thinkin right?

Duh, me...

Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just turn down the oiler and use the same hose you use for your other tools. You always want to wipe down fresh metal with a metal cleaner/mineral spirits/alcohol to clean off finger prints and other contaminants before any paint. Most compressors put some oil out so the air is never going to be pure/clean air. The cleaning step will be necessary regardless of which tool oiling technique you decide to use. If you plan to do any painting down the road, I'd keep that hose system away from the oiler and add a good water filter/seperator.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would put a water separator on your cabinet just as a precaution.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
MP&C
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Steve, I think you have it right, run another line. Why introduce oil somewhere you don't want it? Plus the sandblasting effect will leave a not so smooth finish which will make it more difficult for your precleaning steps prior to painting to remove everything. Additionally, I don't put anything oily or grease covered in my blast cabinet for the same reason. Degrease the parts before blasting.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I hand oil my air tools, a couple drops in the air inlet every few hours of use. I don't want any oil in my air lines if at all possible. If I felt the need for an auto oiler I would put it on a snap connector and use a dedicated air hose attached to it.