1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

How'd you get your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
slow64
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How'd you get your truck?

Lifelong Chevy guy here...I know, save the boo's, I've repented. I drove by her (64 F100 Custom Cab Styleside shortbed) a dozen times while she was parked on a street near my house. She was and still is a little rough. After I saw the for sale sign had gone into the window, I stopped by.

The guy who owned it said that it had a "noisy lifter" but ran fine. The noisy lifter turned out to be a bone jarring rod knock. And it had been near serially overheated from the look of things under the hood, dried rusty water/coolant spray pattern sediment covering everything. After some wheeling and dealing, I drove her home...

Funny, my wife saw it for sale before I did. A few days later when I called my wife from the guys house to ask her for permission to buy..umm..., I mean when I laid down the law and told her that I was buying it and that was final..., she said..."I knew you'd see that old thing and fall in love."

You can't stop true love you know...

How'd you come to own yours?

Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM
FE352
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My great grampa was a dentist in the Bay Area, the moved to Loyaltin, Ca. He was a dentist up there also. He died ten years ago, my grama gave it to my uncle to hold, then when i turned 19 I got the truck. 55,000 miles on her, all good paint, inside is clean, nothing missing. Mats, head liner, seat, steering wheel, all good. Engine runs like a top. I like her.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
I have a 65 F-100 and that my grandpa bought new in 65. He gave it to me when I turned 15 and got my drivers license. I have been driving mine for the last 10 years now, but no where near the miles that i put on while I was in high school and college. That pretty much was my main mode of transportation where now it is lucky to see a 1000 miles a year, all making runs to the home depot and such. It is still my baby and I could never get rid of it. When my grandpa comes out to visit he always wants to go for a ride in it, when he sees it its like a little kid in a toy store. He just loves the fact that I got it running and looking good again.

Jeff<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
slow64
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
I have a 65 F-100 and that my grandpa bought new in 65. He gave it to me when I turned 15 and got my drivers license. I have been driving mine for the last 10 years now, but no where near the miles that i put on while I was in high school and college. That pretty much was my main mode of transportation where now it is lucky to see a 1000 miles a year, all making runs to the home depot and such. It is still my baby and I could never get rid of it. When my grandpa comes out to visit he always wants to go for a ride in it, when he sees it its like a little kid in a toy store. He just loves the fact that I got it running and looking good again.

Jefffficeffice" /><O></O>
Two thumbs up

Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
slow64
Junior User
Originally Posted by FE352
My great grampa was a dentist in the Bay Area, the moved to Loyaltin, Ca. He was a dentist up there also. He died ten years ago, my grama gave it to my uncle to hold, then when i turned 19 I got the truck. 55,000 miles on her, all good paint, inside is clean, nothing missing. Mats, head liner, seat, steering wheel, all good. Engine runs like a top. I like her.
Two thumbs up also..I wish I had a grandpa truck

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
FE352
Senior User
lol my truck is actaully the same year as mr. bigblock over there. Funny, musta been a trend.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a page about the search for my truck here.
A bit of a long read, but I think you'll find it enjoyable. Not easy coming up with trucks when you live in the northeast.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Macon ACE
Freshman User
I wanted a '56 F100 for years. Got serious about looking for 1 earlier this year. Most I saw were rusted out POJs - others were too nice and too expensive. I was bummed. Then I remembered my brother talking about a '64 F100 he had once that he regretted selling. Started looking at "newer" trucks after that and found they were much more reasonably priced than the mid 50s trucks. Briefly considered something from the late 50s, but the styling of those years just doesn't do it for me. Zeroed in on 61-66 because I really like the body style: especially the fenders.

Found my '64 on ebay. It was about 5 hours away. Won the auction and the rest is history!

Last edited by Macon ACE; 09-04-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
magee
Elder User
I got my 66 from my wife's grandfather. Sort of. The truck was stolen out of his yard about four or five years ago. It was bought, sold and registered in a nearby county THREE times before a guy who lives in Savannah, Ga. tried to register it and it came back stolen. Funny thing about where it was found, Savannah is where I was born and the guy who bought it lived next door to a close friend of one of my sisters. Anyway, the truck was brought home by my father-in-law and sat in his front yard for a while until I talked him into passing it on to me. My wife's grandfather never saw the truck after it was stolen as he died from congestive heart failue about a year after it was gone. We've named the truck R.B. as a tribute to him (those are his initials) and intend to keep it in the family forever.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Yellardawg101
New User
I had been looking for a project truck, something to occupy my time, give my sons and me something to do together (they are young, but like helping me) and my father in law was wanting to help (He's rebuilt several vehicles over the years...from Studebakers to Galaxies to Chevelles). So I was looking at different trucks. The first vehicle I ever owned was a Chevy, it threw a rod at 77k miles so I have been a Ford guy ever since and owned several F series trucks over the years. So, I settled on a 61-66 Ford and started my search. I searched locally for a few months but couldn't find anyone willing to sell what they had (if it was decent) so I expanded my search to the internet, saw many on Ebay, but just didn't like being obligated to purchase a vehicle that I'd never seen with my own eyes. Finally, my FIL sent me a listing of a '65 F100 on an "old car" Classified site. I called the owner, told him I'd think on it....he came down in price to the point that I drove 8 hours one way to see it, buy it and haul it back the next day. It needs work, but I was able to determine that prior to buying it and factor that into my decision.

YD

Old 09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
-Doc-
New User
One word. Craigslist.

I called the guy up in northern WA right when the truck posted. Put a $500 hold on the truck, sight unseen. Drove it around. Got him to fix the brakes, and now she is sitting at my house in Tacoma begging me to tear her apart. Sounds almost perverted in a way. Great thing is, my girlfriend ENCOURAGED me to get it. She plans on putting as much into this as I am. She is already planning the interior and what have you. You cant mess with true love. HA!

Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Bought my 63 F100 Uni for $50, 25 years ago, running. It already had the 390, C6 conversion.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Orange '63
Senior User
I bought my 63 shortbed 12 years ago for $425.00. The guy I bought it from said he was selling it because he was too fat and didn't like the way the steering wheel rubbed against his belly.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 PM
-Doc-
New User
Originally Posted by Orange '63
I bought my 63 shortbed 12 years ago for $425.00. The guy I bought it from said he was selling it because he was too fat and didn't like the way the steering wheel rubbed against his belly.
Musta been a pretty big cat. I am 6'4 and 210lbs. and I have PLENTY of room.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Yellardawg101
New User
Originally Posted by -Doc-
Musta been a pretty big cat. I am 6'4 and 210lbs. and I have PLENTY of room.

I'm 6'2" and 290 and have no problems.

BTW, I paid $300 for my '65 back in July. PO started pricing at $1000 and needed to sell it desperately. My FIL asked if I felt right stealing the truck.

Quick Reply: How'd you get your truck?