EGR spacer plate + gasket advice on what I believe is a 390

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 10:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1971 F-100 4x4 390?

I finally found all the numbers on my truck's engine. To get the intake number I had to remove the carb. Unfortunately, I had to destroy the gaskets. I am having trouble getting the one that goes between the spacer plate (1" thick aluminum) that holds the EGR and the intake. Noone seems to have one with the correct setup for the holes.

On this truck it was set up like this
intake
++black paper type gasket
spacer with EGR valve
thick fiber gasket
--black paper type gasket
carb.

My engine numbers:
C5AE-A block
C4AE-C heads
D5TE 9425 KB intake manifold
D9TL-BTB carb tag.

++ what is the correct gasket for this part. NAPA was not much help and Autozone people could only figure out how to give me black gaskets with the holes in all the wrong places.

I ended up putting black RTV around the edges and reinstalling the spacer on the intake manifold.

-- left this one off, it did not seem right to install it on top of the fiber gasket.

Thanks for any leads.

Old 09-18-2002, 03:33 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help you on the gasket but why are you running EGR?

Barry

Old 09-19-2002, 05:14 AM
Blown65
Junior User

>Can't help you on the gasket but why are you running EGR?
>
>Barry

Exactly what I was wondering as well! EGR is just trouble. Probably run better and cleaner without it.

lata
CHRIS

Old 09-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Charles-65F350
Senior User

I'm not sure if a 1971 engine is supposed to have EGR or not, but if the carb and distributor are designed for it, the engine will run "better and cleaner" WITH it.

Reason is, EGR only works at part throttle cruise (assuming the valve and controls are working properly) by diluting the incoming fuel/air charge with a small amount of nonburnable exhaust gas (up to 10% I think). It is disabled at WOT and at idle so there will be no effect there. It does two things - allows more advance to be used which generally improves economy, and reduces NOx emissions by dropping the peak combustion temperature.

If the distributor is curved to expect EGR, if the EGR valve is disabled there will be too much advance in the midrange. In order to get it to stop pinging, the overall timing has to be backed off unless it is recurved. So now it is too retarded at idle, and wide-open which will certainly not make it run better. As for running cleaner? Well, too much advance and no cruise dilution = more nitrogen oxides, more smog, etc. In short, a properly functioning system will not hurt anything and will help in these areas. If your engine is not stock, then all bets are off..

I'm not sure about the carb calibration/jetting with vs. without EGR but I'll bet there is a difference. Anyone know?

Old 09-23-2002, 01:01 PM
deantac
New User

what you need is part # napa G26242 carb mounting gasket(EGR plate to manifold) and part # G26048 carb insulater gasket. hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:26 PM
karlsd
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Sep-02 AT 05:27 PM (EST)]>1971 F-100 4x4 390?
>
>My engine numbers:
>C5AE-A block
>C4AE-C heads
>D5TE 9425 KB intake manifold
>D9TL-BTB carb tag.
>

I can't answer your question, but I will say that you have an odd combination of parts there. They certainly aren't factory original. The block and heads may be original, so I don't think I've ever seen C4 and C5 heads and block in a '71. C8 and C9 numbers are what you usually find. In any case, the intake is a 1975-76 part, and the carb is a 1979+ part. Neither could have been stock in a 1971 truck. I've also never seen a D5TE intake on any engine other than a 72+ "reverse 105" block with D2TE-AA heads.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:50 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Not knowing <-72 Fords that well, it "looked" like it was together except for some missing trim. Now that I have all the numbers and paper catalogs I see it is a mess. Nothing matches anything else. I think it is mostly a 1965 that has had later model pieces added to it over the years, including a 1971 body and front axle.

I thought it had at least a 71 body. Steering column is a <-70 or under.

Just one big butchered mess! But, it was only $850 (threw in about $700 in parts), it runs, its got torque, and it did not have to get emissions inspected.

That said, I got it to avoid red tape hassles, computers, emission testing. Though I would like to get it running as clean as possible. Even if I have to put $300 into it eventually.

One of the "road draft" tubes was "almost" hooked up to the non-functioning heater core because they thought that was were it went. I put a PCV valve on it and hope to hook it to the carb somehow.

I think the road draft tube (driver's side) hooks into the carb air cleaner (running a triangle Edelbrock thing from Autozone), it had a 351 air cleaner on it that for some reason did not fit right ...

I will try those NAPA numbers and see how it comes out.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:57 PM
mlf72f250
Elder User

Rebocardo,
I'm wondering if that "EGR" spacer is actually the PCV adapter.

I have a California spec '72 F250 with a 360 2bbl and it doesn't have an EGR, but it definitely has the 1" think aluminum PCV adapter between the carburetor and manifold.

I'll try to post a few pictures and you can see if that's what you have. Gimme an hour or two to dig out the camera and post them.

--Matt

1972 F250 Custom Sport Camper Special 4x2 360 2v C6 3.73
Soon to have a 104" wheelbase as part of a Broncification project
My FTE Website -- http://www.clubfte.com/users/mlf72f250/index.html
My Galleries -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaygallery.php?userid=1108

Old 09-25-2002, 11:40 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

>I'm wondering if that "EGR" spacer is actually the PCV adapter.

Well, the EGR is hooked to the dist. and the two holes line up on the EGR that lead to the holes over the intake manifold and carb. Though one of them is plugged up with some sort of putty because someone broke the aluminum casting torquing the EGR bolt on.

I think the EGR is suppose to suck air from a vent on the carb. , I have not figured it out yet

Electric idle solenoid and electric choke are not hooked up to anything. It runs okay, though I imagine not correctly. I might try replacing it with a manual choke.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:03 AM
mlf72f250
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Sep-02 AT 01:12&nbsp;AM (EST)]Rebocardo,
Here's a link showing several photos of how my carburetor is plumbed:
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mlf72f250/StockCarburetor/photogallery.html

Also included in the photos is the under-carb PCV plate. I'm reasonably sure my '72 is stock, with a few known exceptions listed in captions.

I'm wondering if someone installed later model engine or parts. Not sure if later model 360/390 engines had EGR. Typical EGR setups include a valve with a zinc or cad plated diphragm housing connected to a cast iron base. They are typically mounted to the manifold or adapter with two or three bolts. When you remove an EGR valve, you can very often see see the black carbon coated passage leading to it.

This is an interesting problem. Please keep us posted.

--Matt

My Galleries -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaygallery.php?userid=1108

Old 09-26-2002, 12:10 AM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's got the D5 intake ('75, '76 390) with the EGR hole in the carb. base, why I don't know.

Barry

Old 09-26-2002, 12:18 AM
mlf72f250
Elder User

Hmmm... Sounds like a trip to the salvage yard is in order.

In the yards I've observed that even if the most of the parts or even whole engine is missing, one will very often see the stock 2v manifold resting in the box or within a few feet of the truck. There doesn't seem to be much of a demand.

I think I've seen them on ebay, too.

--Matt

Old 09-26-2002, 03:17 PM
1974fordtruck
Freshman User

My 390 also has an egr valve riser under the carborator. Can I take it off and have just as good of flow or is the taller profile of some help to the carb. flow? The egr doesn't look like it has been hooked up in a long time and for all appearances appears non functioning. Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2002, 10:39 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Thank you VERY much for the pictures. Where you can see the Ford# in back of your carb., is totally hidden on mine by the EGR spacer/plate.

I can see why the PCV hose is not at the proper angle to get to my carb, it is suppose to be used with a spacer like yours! At least I know what to look for in the junkyards now.

The inside of the plate was loaded with carbon so I cleaned it out, the carb bottom, and the intake manifold.

The funny/sad thing is this EGR is not hooked up to any exhaust fumes to recirculate, and now looking at your pictures I see no way to add it unless I do a custom bung to the exhaust!

Wish I had a camera so I could post a few pictures.

That tube at the back of the carb. facing downwards, I plugged mine (along with three others on the carb.) and it seems to run okay. What is that tube for?

Old 09-27-2002, 12:28 AM
mlf72f250
Elder User

My truck has no provisions for EGR.

It sounds like someone swapped in a '75 or newer engine (or manifold) into your truck.

Older EGR systems used the exhaust cross-over which is actually internal to the intake manifold. It goes under the plenum to vaoprize the fuel. But still, I think I'd try to get it back towards stock for your '71 truck, and I'm guessing that EGR wouldn't be a part of that. Steve Christ's book says that the FE engines didn't get EGR until '73 and I'm guessing the trucks may have taken longer to get it.

I never paid attention to Ford type numbers on my carb. I'll see if I can take a look tomorrow.

--Matt

Quick Reply: EGR spacer plate + gasket advice on what I believe is a 390