1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

stupid alternator

Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 PM
mandrielle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid alternator

battery light came on in 97 expy and I knew it had to be the alternator( heard bearings). Took it to autozone had it tested, was bad. Had a lifetime warranty on it, since I burned the last one up 3 yrs ago, giving a jump. installed the new one, tried to crank it up, didnt work, so I went back and bought a brand new battery. Put that in and it rode fine for a day. Battery light came back on stalled. Took alternator back to get it check, after I checked all wires running from it,they said it passed. Installed it again, cranked but can see voltage go down to 8 on the dash. They said bring expy to store to get them to check it. what could this be? Is there a fuse i could have blown fooling with the alternator before disconnecting battery?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How's the battery cables? Most neglected item in the charging system...

Might wanna replace both of them.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
01fmlyexpy
Freshman User
1. The easiest way to check your alternator is to disconnect the battery while the truck is running. If the alternator is good, the truck keeps running. If the alternator is bad, the truck stops running.

2. You can also use a VOM (volt-ohm-meter) and check battery voltage with the truck not running (~12 VDC) and running (~14 VDC). If there is no change in voltage, then your alternator is bad.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
mandrielle
New User
thanks, found out why alternator was not working properly. there was a 20 amp fuse in the primary battery fuse box on the passenger side firewall. It was blown. I replaced it, got another battery again(warranty), expy working OK. Only issue, battery light on dont know why. Got any ideas? Battery and alt. testing good.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 01fmlyexpy
1. The easiest way to check your alternator is to disconnect the battery while the truck is running. If the alternator is good, the truck keeps running. If the alternator is bad, the truck stops running.

2. You can also use a VOM (volt-ohm-meter) and check battery voltage with the truck not running (~12 VDC) and running (~14 VDC). If there is no change in voltage, then your alternator is bad.
NO NO NO

Do not disconnect the battery cable as there are sensitive electronics on board. That was fine back in the 60s, but not anymore.

To the OP, glad you got it fixed. I was just gonna suggest checking that fuse. I have had it blow on me on my car before and cause the same problems.

Search this Thread