N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

In your travels if you come across a 289/302

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In your travels if you come across a 289/302

That's in running condition let me know...I need one that date codes "pre-smog"...pre-'73 I guess.

I'm thinking forward for the CHP check and VIN issueing on my '36...since, since I rendered the only frame numbers illegible, I'll need to have a new VIN stamped into it. The CHP told me today that any vehicle emissions needed would be based on the year of the engine I run. That's fine by me, but I don't want to be held to '93 standards of the 5.0 I'll eventually install.

ANyway, keep an eye open for me. I'm off to Craigs List.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I have a neighbor kid that works for the local Mustang specialty shop. I'll check with him tomorrow and see if he knows of something available..

Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I can fix you up, I should have everything you need. We'll talk...

Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Awesome, I'll trust you guys on the engines more than the "ran good when pulled" ones I found last night on CL.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:00 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a 4.6 V8, but that's a little too smoggy for ya. Hey Dan, wanna trade a 302 for a 4.6? My nephew wants to V8 his dad's old 89 Ranger while he's away in Iraq.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
My neighbor has a '66 289 that could be patched together for you. An offer of $100 makes it yours.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
That's not bad at all, is there enough parts to make it a runner?

Also waiting to hear back from Dan as well...I need to make a trip up his way in a few weeks with my trailer...so I'll have the pickup and be driving right past you as well Chet.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
It runs. I helped put it together. It is a two barrel. The valve seats are not hardened, but they are not completely rotted away. It did not belch smoke. He replaced it with a 5.0 a month ago and has the old engine hanging around in his garage. It has some miles left. It is not going to be a high performance engine without investing a bunch of cash, but it will get you to the dmv and back.

Don't ask about our challenge in determining whether the distributer turned right or left. We sort of messed up on that one. It was pretty embarrassing.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 09-01-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Lol! Hey, did he keep the accessories for the 5.0 swap? I don't know if my serpentine setup will bolt to the older engine or now (ex-Chevy guy speak).

It won't be in that long, just about long enough to get the CHP to see it run and inspect it and stamp a number for me.

Used to be able to get this stuff done with a few calls, but now my buddies who are in Law Enforcement have a lot of "eyes" on them...they won't even run plate numbers for me anymore...seems they have to make a report as to why the numbers were run, and just to find an owner, doesn't qualify as a good reason.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Lol! Hey, did he keep the accessories for the 5.0 swap?
Probably, his whole family is a bunch of pack rats. I know, you would know nothing about that. If you decide you want the engine you'll be talking with him directly and can ask. He's a good kid.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:14 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Mike, what I have is a whole bunch of parts that I can assemble into a decent running engine to loan you. I may even have a complete engine, I'll have to take a look the next time I'm over the hill in Ukiah (I have to get over there some day soon to pick up that shifter for you anyway...)

Dale, we may be able to work something out. I've thought it might be fun to have a 4.6 to play with. You can swap a 4.6 into a Ranger, but it's a really tight fit.

If he wants the Ranger to be smog legal, he has to run an '89 or newer engine and keep the EFI and cats on it. That's what I did, mine is an '89 as well. I also have a V8 conversion manual for the '89 I can loan you, as well as Helms manuals for the '89 Ranger and '90 Mustang.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Thanks Dan, I think Chet's neighbors engine will be the easiest route to take, you don't need to haul parts, and we won't have to put anything together.

Chet, PM me your contact info again, when it heats up today I'll give you a call and we can start working out some details.

Thanks!

PS.accessories aren't too much of an issue the more I think about it, all I need to run is an Alternator, I'm sure I have a few spares and brackets around that'll hold things up.

My only concern though, after reading your reply is you helped put it together.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:08 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Dan, I'll run it by & see if a 4.6 would work. They're in OR, so no smog. My nephew was wanting a carbed 302, but not sure what his dad thinks yet.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
The 4.6 takes a lot more work to get into a Ranger than the 302. On the site I was looking at when I started my 5.0 swap they were saying it couldn't be done, so one guy went ahead and did it to prove them wrong. I can see if I can find the info on that. But for that matter, you can even get a 460 into a Ranger, but there's not much of the Ranger left from the firewall forward except the exterior sheet metal by the time you're done.

The 302/5.0 is a tried and proven swap, there are even motor mount/header kits available from several different manufacturers. Best to use the mounts and headers from the same manufacturer for best fit. I made my own, here's a little bit about that:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/344645657dMpWey

For simplicity, going carbed isn't a bad idea. The biggest PITA for me has been the wiring for the EFI. I still have a bit to do but it's almost done. With a little luck, I might even be able to work on it a bit today or tomorrow...

Last edited by TigerDan; 09-02-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
My only concern though, after reading your reply is you helped put it together.
I'm not so bad at engine stuff. Just don't ask me to weld bits together. I've rebuilt a whole bunch of VW engines, a 360, a 4.6, and a 289. I'm not a pro, but they all ran well after I stepped in and turned a wrench.

Interesting bit is that the 4.6 was not as difficult as I thought it would be. No carb? No distributor? It just bolted together like the book said it would.

Quick Reply: In your travels if you come across a 289/302