6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Strange Regen Behavior

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 AM
mcc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the presence of any soot at all, regardless of how little, in the tail pipe a sign of a cracked dpf? Have about 5000 miles on my F450 4x4 KR , at about 4000 or so I started noticing a little soot when I would wipe my finger in the tips. Seems to run about the same, but I dont really dog mine that much. Mine is a job1 built in 6/07, other than a driver seat safety belt latch that stopped working I have had no problems ........

Old 03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+10,000 miles on mine

Tailpipe tips are as clean as when I picked up the truck new on October 1, 2007.

No soot at all.

Bob

Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
Question Regen DPF

Does anyone have a idea as to how long the average regen burn would be ?? Mine is still doing it.

Bill in KY

Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
rvtec
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hodgekuter
Does anyone have a idea as to how long the average regen burn would be ?? Mine is still doing it.

Bill in KY
My truck was in regen for just about 3 days. Just as i was going to take it in for service it stoped. Since then the regens have been short. about 5 to 10 min..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
If the truck is at operating temperature and you let the regen complete fully it should only last 5-10 min. It will last longer if you are driving at low speeds or with stop and go driving.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 AM
hodgekuter
Senior User
SouthTexasDiesel. I let it go yesterday for 1/2 an hour and the exhaust really got hot. The pipes were clicking and pinging (hot metal) noise, but it still wanted to keep on. Are you familiar with a good Ford service dealership around Plano/Richardson area ?? That's where I'm staying and working, just in case I want to have it checked. It is a job#1 build, so I'm not sure of any reflash that may help. I've had the truck since 12/31/07 and really like the truck.

Thanks
Bill in KY

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I'm not too familure with that area. I would say to bring it in and have it checked but odds are what they're going to do is hook it up to the computer and check for codes. And the truck probably isn't throwing any at all.

Were you letting the truck idle in park for 1/2 an hour w/o your foot on the brake?
Are the tips of your exhaust clean or sooty?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
Yes I let it idle for a full 1/2 hr this AM. It got good and hot and the exhaust odor was actually very clean smelling, if you understand. I thought it would idle down and get over it, but it didn't. Yes the ends are just a tad sooty, not as clean as when I was home, but no where near as bad as my 7.3 or 6.0 at times. They are both gone now. I don't think it will throw codes, unless there really is a malfunction in operation. That said, it will have to burn long enough to clean the sensor at the filter . Am I correct in assuming that ??

Thanks a lot for your input

Bill in KY

Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
I really don't know what to tell you now. It is a possibility that the pressure sensor is clogged, but not likely. It's located between the Cat and the DPF on the top of the pipe, and if it was malfunctioning you would get a CEL.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Bill in KY
This is the info you need stright from ford. This should go in the 6.4 tech file as much as its asked for. Hope this helps

07-4-11 6.4L DIESEL - REGENERATION FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS

Publication Date: February 20, 2007

FORD: 2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
2008 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.

ACTION:
Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.
The following is also normal and may be observed by a technician using a diagnostic tool. It is not likely that a customer would be aware of these:

The throttle body is only active during the regeneration process and during shutdown.
EGR is not operating during regeneration.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
Thanks for the info. It was doing everything listed. I went to work this morning and when I arrived I let it run in the prkng lot for a couple of minutes and low and behold, it completed its mission and all went back to normal. I'll know now what is happening and when I can expect it to finish. Thanks again for all the info.

Bill in KY

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 AM
bhill2625
New User
SouthTexasDiesel. I let it go yesterday for 1/2 an hour and the exhaust really got hot. The pipes were clicking and pinging (hot metal) noise, but it still wanted to keep on. Are you familiar with a good Ford service dealership around Plano/Richardson area ?? That's where I'm staying and working, just in case I want to have it checked. It is a job#1 build, so I'm not sure of any reflash that may help. I've had the truck since 12/31/07 and really like the truck.

Thanks
Bill in KY

Hodgekuter ... I used to have pretty good luck with Prestige Ford over in Garland. They have a dedicated diesel engine shop. I havent been there in a few years, but they should still be pretty good.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 AM
DelfinoTX
Freshman User
I've learned that if my truck begins a regen in stop and go traffic, i put it in tow/haul mode and the regen finishes quickly... The tow/haul mode allows the engine to run at higher RPM's in stop and go traffic or city driving.. Usually finishes in 10 min or less.
This has worked for me several times and I don't need to leave it running in the parking lot to finish the regen when i get to the office.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
chairman13
Junior User
Hi. I've got a question, is it complicated to remove a DPF ? i've got 08 F250. What do i need to do in order not to have any error codes. Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
goatgirlva
New User
ok, I have a 2008 Ford 350 and have had problems after problems with it. I think that the white smoke that you talk about is really antifreeze going thru the exhaust. My egr coolers went down and white smoke PUMMELED out of my engine. Now the egr valve is seized up and the dealership is replacing the particulate filter. There are 4 valves on the exhaust and yesterday it completely fried the last sensor. Broke down... It keeps regen'ing every 100 miles, not normal.