Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

86 6.9L wont start period

Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 AM
clay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 6.9L wont start period

i have a 86 6.9L with new battiers and it has been sitting for abot 1-2 years and decided to get it running it was running when i parked it we primed the fuel system and still wont crank used starer fluid and still nothig it wont even crank up with the starter fluid and also has new starter.any help would be great.

THANKS
clay

Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
USMC Diesel
Senior User
So It will crank over but not fire.
Check to see if you have power to the fuel cut off solenoid it should be one wire going to the metering pump.
Also you can check the glow plugs by doing a continuity test with a multimeter.
If all checks out you may have some kind is buildup in the combustion chambers, or your injectors are plugged up.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM
j-redsjeep
Junior User
that sounds odd it wont fire with starting fluid. you need compression, ignition and fuel to run. the ignition is dependant on the compression and you have fuel........

is it spinning fast enough? it would fire on starting fluid even if the fuel shut off was bad. could the intake be blocked up with a nest or something?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM
clay
New User
i have took the injectors off and sooked them in diesel and cleaned them up i have power to the ip and glow plugs removed the air intake and still nothing i noticed when i am turning it over the battiers seem to run dowm fast i get about 5 times of turning about 5 sec each turn could it be just alot of carbon built up.

THANKS
clay

Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the batteries won't hold a decent charge, then you will need new ones, these engines demand good cranking speeds to wake up from a long sleep.

If you have a heat gun, and a working block heater, then that would be a safer alternative to either.

Plug in the block heater for a good couple of hours (1986 has a good block, so don't worry about cracks).

When you're ready to start it, take the lid off the air cleaner, and point the heat gun down the intake at full blast, mine starts easiert than with glow plugs using theis method.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM
ford trans tech
Elder User
diesels need to spin at least 100 rpm while cranking , also check your exhaust see if it has become a nest for a critter , no flow through the exhaust will not let any air into the cylinders

Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
clay
New User
tried the ol heat gun method and still no start could it just be so gummed up and still no smoke comeing from the tail pipe but smoke comes from the intake.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay I have a TSB on IP crud......... after a long layup rust and crud will screw up the IP. Is the old water separator still installed, check the fuel lift pump for quantity and pressure......

Take the filter header Schrader valve core out and hook a hose and pressure guage to the outlet.........crank engine see what you get for pressure, should have 4-6 psi from a good lift pump.

Volume test same place hook a hose to it crank over the engine 10 seconds you should get 1/3 pint of fuel minimum or 1 pint at 675 rpm in 30 seconds... engine running

Important the fuel shutoff solenoid (FSS) wire on the IP should be disconnected if you do not want a start just cranking. Re connect FSS after test complete.

If you have fuel pressure and quantity at the filter .....then the IP may be rusty...........

Click on my name and email me... ask for the.......... IP TSB it shows how to safely remove the cover and check for crud and rust.

Search this Thread