Nav/stereo/cd/dvd Combo

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Bouts21
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav/stereo/cd/dvd Combo

Looking for an aftermarket system that has nav/FM stereo/DVD/CD/MP3/USB capability. Panasonic has one 7" screen and JVC has one, much smaller screen. Anyone know of any makes that combines all that? Or any comments as to how the Panasonic version works?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:41 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i'm not too fond of Panasonic or JVC. Look at Pioneer's line AVIC-D3 or AVIC-N4. I think the AVIC-Z3 is the top of the line w/ a 30gb hard drive. The D3 and N4 are much cheaper but with all the nice trimmings. (Don't think they have USB though, not sure)

Old 08-30-2007, 05:02 AM
mitch150
Elder User
I have the JVC you speak of!

Originally Posted by Bouts21
Looking for an aftermarket system that has nav/FM stereo/DVD/CD/MP3/USB capability. Panasonic has one 7" screen and JVC has one, much smaller screen. Anyone know of any makes that combines all that? Or any comments as to how the Panasonic version works?
Hey Bouts, I have the KD-NX 5000 and it has everything you ask about plus bluetooth & Sirius. All I can say is, this damn thing is awsome!! It is only a single din but the screen on it is just about as big as the screens on the garmin, tom-tom, and magellin plug n plays. The 2 things I think I like most about it, is I get to keep my Sirius programming (didn't want to pay for another subscription as I already had a JVC w/ Sirius and I haven't listened to FM in almost 2 years), and the cost is almost less than 1/2 of the 7" Pioneers, Alpines, and Panisonics. Don't get me wrong, all of those products are quality stuff (I checked some of them out and was very impressed) but I have had several JVCs and I am pretty happy w/ their units plus money was factor. The navigation system is real nice too and so far works as good if not better than the ones I have had experience with (only 3) plus it has live traffic reroute and avoidance if you want to subscribe to it. I know it isn't a touch screen, but I can control that w/ the remote the unit comes with and I know some people who have had the touch screen units that have gone out on them and they ended up having to buy new units which really sucks. This JVC is all hard drive, so theres' no map discs to load up for the nav. syst. and it has 24 gb of storage. You can store up to 6000 songs on this headunit. All in all I am VERY happy with this unit and would recommend this to anyone who is looking for one that isn't a dbl din or 7" screen. Cost: headunit $649 + bluetooth adapter $98 + shipping $21 for a total of $768! Hope this helps a little.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Bouts21
Elder User
Been reading up on these systems, and a couple of reviews mentions connecting them to the vehicle speed sensor, I want this for a 1978 Crew, there ain't nothing close to a speed sensor in that thing! Is the speed sensor actually necessary??

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
ncslim
Freshman User
The speed sensor is not necessary. The connection is for a digital guage option you can pop up on the screen. Just a repeat of your stock guages plus an incline meter so you know you have gone too far past your center of gravity and are about to flip over!

The guage option is just someting different to look at on the screen if you are not in nav more, monitoring your XM or Sirius chanel, or watching a DVD. I have the Pioneer and love it!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 PM
drbalazo
Senior User
if you are interested in a Pioneer N2 dvd/cd/mp3/Navi single din with 6.5" screen with the 60mtp west navi cd, ipod adapter, and navi antenna, let me know.
used but in great condition. $750 shipped to your door.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:46 AM
mitch150
Elder User
Originally Posted by drbalazo
if you are interested in a Pioneer N2 dvd/cd/mp3/Navi single din with 6.5" screen with the 60mtp west navi cd, ipod adapter, and navi antenna, let me know.
used but in great condition. $750 shipped to your door.
Single din w/ a 6.5" sreen? Is it a motorized flip-out sreen?

Old 09-02-2007, 04:23 AM
drbalazo
Senior User
Originally Posted by mitch150
Single din w/ a 6.5" sreen? Is it a motorized flip-out sreen?
YES it is.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:09 AM
riggz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ncslim
The speed sensor is not necessary. The connection is for a digital guage option you can pop up on the screen. Just a repeat of your stock guages plus an incline meter so you know you have gone too far past your center of gravity and are about to flip over!

The guage option is just someting different to look at on the screen if you are not in nav more, monitoring your XM or Sirius chanel, or watching a DVD. I have the Pioneer and love it!
While the gauge option is also a nice feature, the real reason for the VSS connection is so that the gps unit can calculate your position if you lose sat. signal. It has a built in gyro and can calculate if you turn, while the VSS will let the gps know you are slowing down or speeding up.