2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Steering Wheel "bump" anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel "bump" anyone?

I have a new (1500 miles) Expedition Limited 4x2. I love this truck - it is FAR superior to the 2007 Denali I traded in. Any of you who are making the decision between the two should save the $10 grand and get the Ford - no question.

That being said, my truck has developed a slight "bump" or "thud" transmitted through the steering column on acceleration from a stop or deceleration to a stop. Sometimes you can even feel it when going over bumps. My GM trucks used to develop this after about 30,000 miles and it always was a need to lubricate (or replace) the intermediate shaft.

I reached under the hood, and the steering shaft feel just a little loose. Is that normal, or is it my problem? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

The only other thing I am not thrilled with is the A/C. It really seems to struggle in the hot florida sun!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdsmooth
I have a new (1500 miles) Expedition Limited 4x2. I love this truck - it is FAR superior to the 2007 Denali I traded in. Any of you who are making the decision between the two should save the $10 grand and get the Ford - no question.

That being said, my truck has developed a slight "bump" or "thud" transmitted through the steering column on acceleration from a stop or deceleration to a stop. Sometimes you can even feel it when going over bumps. My GM trucks used to develop this after about 30,000 miles and it always was a need to lubricate (or replace) the intermediate shaft.

I reached under the hood, and the steering shaft feel just a little loose. Is that normal, or is it my problem? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

The only other thing I am not thrilled with is the A/C. It really seems to struggle in the hot florida sun!
comming up on 18,000 mile's on our 2007 eddie bower4x2 and it's been flawless,the AC will drive us out,we have the auto control but run it on manual in recurlate set at 74 degree's and on the 2nd blower speed front and back is just right,we also live in florida,take it in,you spent your money and it need's to be RIGHT!!!,no noise from the steering,just the contintal tire's huming along,they are noisy.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Newton007
Senior User
No nothing here on my 07, but this can't be right and being in the steering it may be something unsafe. I would sure get it looked at soon.

Sometimes there is a kind of a mild clunk from a stop, but it is mild and seems to be in the drive train.
I am used to this as my 94 Bronco did the same thing from a stop, but it did not seem to be a problem as it went 100,000+ and never had a drive train failure of any kind, plus it never got any more "clunky" over the years.
I figure as long as this 07 don't get any more "clunky" it should be ok.
I don't feel this in the steering wheel, but just sort of a mild noise through the SUV body.
The Bronco did require several non drive line front end parts to be replaced over the years, but this was after 55,000 miles.

As for the AC, so far so good, But it just don't get that hot where I now here at 7000 feet so it is hard to say.
However I was living for the past two years in Miami Beach Florida, so I know that it can get hot and humid there in the summer, but the the fall winter and spring was really nice weather.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Well, I dropped the truck off at the dealer on my way to work this morning. I don't know what was wrong with it yet, but I know that it is still there waiting on parts. Clearly I wasn't imagining things!

I will post tomorrow when I have the expy back.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Well - the expy is still at the dealer. Here is what they told me: the steering clunk was verified and traced to a control arm "out of adjustment". The A/C not cooling great was verified and traced to a part of the fan shroud bloacking airflow. They are waiting on "push pins" required to keep that part of the shroud in position.

What do you guys think about all this? Does it sound reasonable or like I have wasted a week driving a loaner Fusion (do not buy one) only to have to return to the dealer after I get the truck back?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Newton007
Senior User
It don't sound right to me. Just what is out of adjustment? If it is just an adjustment, why don't they just adjust it and return your Expedition? A good front end shop should be able to do this in a hour or so. I almost have to think that something is broken and they need a part from the factory to fix it.

The loose fan shroud blocking the air flow on their 07 Expedition has been found by other people on this site as well. Seems like a common problem. As far as waiting on the push pins looks like they could have went to an auto supply and found some. I mean golly gee, they are just little plastic pins.

There may be something really out of whack, but they don't know what to do about it yet.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
I agree with you 100%. I guess I'll see what happens Tuesday. They claim the control arm has already been adjusted and the front end is now fine. They say they are wating on the push pins only. Seems like an odd thing to keep a truck for three days for.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are we talking about the radiator fan shroud blocking what exactly?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
OK - You folks are not going to believe this... My Expedition with 1400 miles on it is STILL at the dealer. It has been there for over a week now. (Electric Blue Fusion still in driveway) Today I got a call from the service manager to tell me that the push pins had come in and been installed, but that the a/c was still "not cooling well enough." Apprently they called Ford and Ford told them to change out the compressor. They expect the compressor to arrive tommorrow.

I am of 2 minds on this: I am happy that they are making sure my problems are resolved before giving me back my truck thus eliminating multiple visits that many on this board have experienced. But it seems like an awfully long time to have two relatively simple issues repaired. I am truly getting a little worried that this truck is going to have issues. Like someone said "sounds like something else is wrong they are trying to figure out."

So - they say the steering wheel "bump" was a control arm adjustment that has been taken care of and that the a/c was the fan shroud issue and a compressor problem. I'll keep posting updates...

Old 09-06-2007, 10:28 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Well another problem is parts for these trucks are not plentiful yet. If all the parts were at the dealer you would probably have the truck back. Keep us posted.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Update for Thursday: Well, I visited my Expy today. They replaced the compressor and the a/c still did not work properly. They again consulted the "hotline" and were told to replace the accumulator and one of the pressure switches (I don't remember which one). It seems the strategy is to replace the entire a/c system 1 or 2 parts at a time. Each part order (and they are never in stock) takes two days.

I was polite, but annoyed. I told the service rep that I had a trip to Miami planned for the weekend and they would have to find me a loaner Expedition or Explorer for the trip. I am tired of driving a $15,000 Fusion for $38,000. I think that if the truck is still at the dealer next Tuesday it will have spent more time there then in my driveway since I bought it.

Don't really know what else I can do at this point. The dealer is clearly doing their best to fix the problem without me having to bring it back and they did give me a loaner, but 2 weeks in servie is a little (lot) ridiculous. I think I need to research Florida Lemon Law.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
jackson3000
Freshman User
JD, did they give you a new Expy for the trip ? When my transmission got a leak, We had a trip planned and they let use a new expy for it . They got it back with 1500 miles and a chipped windshied. my other loaner was a new Mustang GT. Ford messed up with the transmission and they had my truck longer in the shop then I did at that point in time. I owned it less then 1 week , they had it for the next 2 weeks Tell them they need to give you the same style expy to drive till they fix yours. Go to the GM of the dealer ship if you need to . To have the dealership have your expy in the shop longer then you have owned it really sucks and they need to make it right with a good vehicle for you to drive ( not one out of the loaner pool worth 15K )

Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
They did give me an Expy for the trip, but an '06 with 15K on the odometer. It is off the used lot with a dealer tag on it. My dealership doesn't have any Expys in the rental/loaner fleet. BTW: What a difference from the '06 to the '07! I am very glad I own the '07. So far the loaner has 500 new miles on it and some fast food spilled on the carpet. I will check on my truck again tommorrow and let everyone know what is going on. I am just hoping they don't have to change the condensor out next.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
jdsmooth
Freshman User
Smile

Well everyone... the Expy is back. It has been in service for 13 days. So far it seems that everything has been fixed. The a/c blows MUCH colder and my steering "bump" is gone. Highlights from the service invoice (I left it in the car) are as follows:

Steering Wheel Knock: Diag. Excessive play in the intermediate steering shaft. Replaced intermediate shaft.

A/C: They referenced a TSB and an SSM. They replaced the compressor, dryer, front expansion valve, rear expansion valve and added the pins to the fan shroud. Service invoice read R&R Compressor, R&I Condensor, R&R Rear expansion valve, R&I RR Quarter Trim, R&R Front expansion valve, R&R Dryer.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same issues. I also hope that this is not the start of issues with this vehicle. I guess only time will tell.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
I don't think this means you will have further major issues.

Let us know if the AC shuts off again. I read somewhere else that the dealer replaced the AC control module? whatever that is.

Can you post the TSB numbers when you get a chance? Thanks.