1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anyone getting work done 8/25-26

Old 08-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! This has been a productive weekend for most of you. Except tomato.

Someday...I will get something productive done to mine.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updates (covers June through 8/26);

Picked up a new MIG welder (Millermatic 135) , a 7.5 HP - 60 gallon air compressor, a bead roller, and a planishing hammer . Even less room in my tiny garage now, but they sure help get the work done….

Still working towards my goal of having the box and rear fenders finished and in primer by the fall, however actual progress has been slow. (Have been adding pictures to my gallery from time to time).

- Fabbed steel crossmembers to mount box to frame
- Filled gas cap door (going with flush mount pop-up cap from a chopper)
- Removed the old wheel tubs and built new ones flush to the inner bed walls to give me a clean rectangular bed area with no tubs jutting into it.
- Tailgate is finished (including the famous FORD script) and in primer.(see gallery)
- Have filled the feature line along the top edge of the box with metal and filler.
- Filled lower feature lines with metal and filler also
- Removed bottom rear corners and pulled them in ¾ inch closer to the box, so the roll pan won’t stick out more than the bottom edge of the tailgate.
- Changed direction on the taillights – rather than using the 89-93 Caddy units (which are now for sale) I’m going with the old stand by – 59 Caddy bullets – two per side….filled the stock taillight holes, made the cans to hold the bullets and installed the them. (Extremely snug fit)
- Filled the stake pockets.
- Using 70-73 Camaro RS front two piece bumpers on the rear. In the process of lengthening them approx. 4 inches each for better appearance. They will end more or less flush with the outer edges of the rear license plate box.
- Have welded the fenders to the bed and am doing preliminary body work on the joint.
- Roll pan is almost finished and has been tacked in place.

To do –

Tried to fit 2000-2005 Pontiac Sunfire back up lights to the roll pan, but would be too large. Need to find something smaller in diameter.

Finish bumper mods and mount them.

Install flush mount pop-up gas cap (from a Harley chopper)

Build new inner walls for the bed and purdy them up with the bead roller I put together. (Bought the bead roller from Eastwood and then modified per a discussion and example found on the HAMB message board.)

Build and install new wood bed floor.

I should mention – the original intent of going with a mid-90s Chevy bed in a quasi step- side manner was to achieve a look I liked but primarily to save money. It’s looking like by the time it’s done, I will not have saved a dime (admittedly, some of the changes I’m doing could have been omitted). However, it has added considerably to satisfying my urge to create. To put it another way – I’m having a lot of fun making this all work together…….and to be honest, who cares if it’s ever finished – for me, it’s always been about the journey, not the destination……

Later,

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,108 Likes on 2,642 Posts
ferguson777, Just checked out you gallery that bed is turning out great. I like your ideas. Wish our towns we live in were closer. Keep up the good work.

John

Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
worked the usual split shifts , the hot rod supernats for awhile as we know , and i actually got around to cleaning bessie today . she actually has a bit of shine again . now it'll probably rain like hades again and muss it up .

Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Installed door glass, windshield, back window and lower door rubber seals.
Polished up some door handles and got them on. Stripped and primered my hood.
Installed emergency brake handle and looked over a wiring harness and scratched my head trying to decide if I should use some of it and wire it myself or hack through the mess and eliminate what I dont need.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
dongc1
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did a Little

Got both running boards back on my 49. They look good.
I replaced the pinion seal in the 9" rear end. The yoke was badly worn, so I pressed on a ready sleeve. Put in new crush washer, seal and buttoned her up. Feels good to get something done!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
I hung both doors, which by yourself is a pain.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Here instead of heat we have way below normal temps, it`s jacket weather!
Nothing much got done as I went to a cruise and a wiener roast Sat.
Today was another slow day with visiting company but I did manage to pull the other head off the 292 for my 56 M100 and clean up in my shop.
I hope that by later this week the motor and the cab should be back on the sandblasted and painted rolling frame.
Then it`s time to start getting the 56 back in to mainly one big piece instead of a many smaller ones all over my shop.

Last edited by Fomoko1; 08-27-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Then it`s time to start getting the 56 back in to mainly one big piece instead of a many smaller ones all over my shop.
At least it is in a shop. Mine is in a muddy spot at the end of my parents house. The garden hose would not reach the driveway.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Fomoko1
For a few years I had to do without a shop so I can relate Brian, it`s very tuff.
Now both shops are full of vehicles, projects, parts and tools, I`m almost shop less again.

Last edited by Fomoko1; 08-27-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fomoko1
Forafew years I had to do without a shop so I can relate Brian, it`s very tuff.
Now both shops are full of vehicles, projects, parts and tools, I`m almost shopless again.
I am not complaining. I am picking on you. I am thrilled just to finally have my truck. I waited enough years (age 14 to age 38) for it.

Now...if you would quit buying new projects...you would have more room to work!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
As my last post showed I got mine back together after slicing and dicing my rear fenders and c-notching the rear adding reverse eye mains on the rear. Added four degree shims to correct the pinion angle and thought I was ready to go. Awhile back I posted a thread about a 45-55 mile per hour shimmy. When I pulled her all apart to do the c-notch I found all my pins and brackets were shot. Replaced all that and the shimmy is worse. So, back to sqaure one on wtf is going on, exuse my french. Under those speed however it drives like a champ. I am at a loss but will get it.....

Old 08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
56efffie
Elder User
got the rear brakes put back together including lines. Front disc kit installed minus lines (still scraping road grime from the front cross member) I was happy that the front bearing adapters fit without problem. Now I'm just waiting for the adapter for my MC

Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Fomoko1
Originally Posted by Brian_B
Now...if you would quit buying new projects...you would have more room to work!
NOW you tell me....

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Weak end

Wedding all weekend, did body work today; hope to spot paint cab and box so I can assemble all winter. Just need to decide on paint, either Sheridan Blue or Meadow Green. I pick up my box sides next week, from metal shop, had them braked from 16 GA metal

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone getting work done 8/25-26