1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Door Adjust or Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 PM
JohnMcHugh1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Adjust or Repair

My new to me in October 2000 E250 Cargo has some challenges with it's condition as to various doors. Driver front door 'swings free', ineffective as to 'stop' when swinging open. The hardware is visible that 'should' cause the door swing to be limited, and it is not working. Also, and perhaps this is the problem, I can see the edge of the door moving, it's 'welded' features no longer intact at the front most inside edges. I suspect it caught the wind one time too many. Where do I begin? A welding shop to resecure the edge and the inside panels? Replace the door limiting hardware, or perhaps some adjustment?
Same applies to the rear most passenger door. (side doors are OK, as is the driver side rear most door, as to 'not swinging free' but behaving as the doors should). The rear door came to me with a bungee cord, to clamp it to the rear wheel well, and keep it from slamming into me unexpectedly. Again, where to start is the question I have. All replies are valued.
While on doors, my front passenger door 'lock' is not connected to the top indicator. I should say, when I key the lock, I can hear it work, and cannot open that door lock with the key mechanism. I can access from inside, via the top 'indicator' (not sure what to call the screw on lock 'pulls'), to unlock and may use the door handle to open the door from inside. I suppose taking off the access panels I may find an obvious 'connection' point, buy a part or two, and that will be that. Just have not gotten to it yet. Anything to be aware of when removing, reinstalling the inside panels on the door? All manual locks (real manual these days), and manual windows.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 PM
cocot
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back doors should have the bracket that clips on to the door to keep it from swinging all the way out and to keep it from samming closed.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 PM
JohnMcHugh1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brackets same?

Thanks for the info. Will review each door in the morning, for mounting holes.

Originally Posted by cocot
The back doors should have the bracket that clips on to the door to keep it from swinging all the way out and to keep it from samming closed.
Do you think the identical bracket is on multiple doors, maybe left or right but similar for side and rear? I will try to chase this down further. Turns out I have a nephew in the 'auto customizing body paint' business in NJ, who I plan to get to know much better. I know he is a vintage Mustang fan, and I expect will be able to enlighten me further with this project.