2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator
View Poll Results: What do you think? (Hunter Bull Bar)
I like it.
41.18%
I love it!
17.65%
I don't like it.
11.76%
Would have purchased a different brand.
5.88%
Not my cup of tea.
23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2014, 03:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Hunter Bull Bar Install / Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunter Bull Bar Install / Review

For those of you interested in a bull bar here is my quick and dirty review of the Hunter (Truck Gear Direct) version. As there are other choices i.e. Westin, Aries, etc. I found this as a bargain on eBay from a recommendation from another member (Tylus) in this forum.

25 minute installation time... more of a pain to remove the factory tow hook and bolts than the install.

I can tell you that I can stand on it confidently.....but I would NOT recommend pushing another vehicle with it or pulling with it.

One of the license plate brackets was bent(see pic below) but this is a moot point for me as I plan on keeping it in the factory location.

Pros:
  1. Cheap
  2. Fast Install
  3. Mounts for additional lighting
  4. Looks

Things to improve on:
  1. Better Instructions (Install was simple but a hand drawing, really? )
  2. I wished the bottom end of the tubes came a bit closeer to the tow hook opening.
  3. I wish it allowed me to keep the factory tow hooks
  4. Thicker light mounts and black washers

Cons:
  1. None really...at this price...you should know its for asthetics only..

I am planning to add lighting which when I have the time I will update this post.

Yes I did google before I purchased..I have read some bad reviews on quality(mainly rust) but given the price I looked past it.. and if its does I may have it line-xed.

Below are the pictures.

Boxed

Packaging

Bolt on locations to bracket

Frontside

Backside

License plate brackets

Passenger Side Bracket loose fit

Instructions

Side View Closeup

Corner Comparison

Side View Comparison

Front View Comparison

Old 10-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
dang it...seeing that makes me wish I had pulled mine off the FX4 before trading it in. Looking good. Maybe I will give in and order another one. Those pictures really bring back memories. Mine looked exactly like that. At least you got directions. Mine didn't, but to be honest it's a pretty straightforward install

as an aside, I re-used the factory bolts to install mine. I still have the Hunter u-bolts they say to use somewhere in the garage, but the factory ones were easier to use...and already there inside the frame channel.

edit: another reason I like this bar is because you can fully see the liscence (sp?) plate without needing to relocate it. Which is important in front plate states.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Does this have any functionality other than driving light mounting?

I ask because I had my front license plate violently removed by a truck tire tread that popped up link a snake directly in front of me on a one lane ramp. Just snatched the plate and bracket off. Plate was non-repairable.

I also took out one of those middle of the road cross walk signs with a guy almost ran the red light and I swerved over the centerline to avoid him. Nothing happened I could see in this case though.

Preventing this would be nice, but not if the whole bull bar bends and takes out my grill!

-- Chuck

Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by tylus
dang it...seeing that makes me wish I had pulled mine off the FX4 before trading it in. Looking good. Maybe I will give in and order another one. Those pictures really bring back memories. Mine looked exactly like that. At least you got directions. Mine didn't, but to be honest it's a pretty straightforward install

as an aside, I re-used the factory bolts to install mine. I still have the Hunter u-bolts they say to use somewhere in the garage, but the factory ones were easier to use...and already there inside the frame channel.

edit: another reason I like this bar is because you can fully see the liscence (sp?) plate without needing to relocate it. Which is important in front plate states.
I would have reused both bolts but Ford decided to fuse the two bolts together with a metal strip it ease in the installation of the yow hooks from the factory.

The instructions require you used the 3rd hole set farther back on the frame so the nut assembly did not line up.

I may replace the hardware with stainless steel from West Marine to be in the safe side.

Tylus did you have any aux light when you had it on th FX4?
I'm looking at HIDx lights but I've read in another forum that HIDs do not likes to turned on and off frequently. I don't plan on taking this off road but I do travel a bit up north to NH for the ski/snowboard season and having the extra light at night would be nice.

I was also looking at the Hella black magics as it would look nice with the color if the truck.

I'm just not sure what the max size light I could put in their is.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by chuck s
Does this have any functionality other than driving light mounting?

I ask because I had my front license plate violently removed by a truck tire tread that popped up link a snake directly in front of me on a one lane ramp. Just snatched the plate and bracket off. Plate was non-repairable.

I also took out one of those middle of the road cross walk signs with a guy almost ran the red light and I swerved over the centerline to avoid him. Nothing happened I could see in this case though.

Preventing this would be nice, but not if the whole bull bar bends and takes out my grill!

-- Chuck
I'm sure it would offer minor protection but I would not try to play chicken with a deer or a moose. $130 worth of protection for a minor head on is better than $$$$ for a new bumper and paint. Heck the license plate bracket is like $40 itself.

To each their own, but I'm satisfied!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
no lights on mine. was planning on running fogs behind the grille instead but traded the truck before starting that project

Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Only 3 votes? lol

Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 AM
freerider
Freshman User
sorry man...I voted against the bar... from the front it looks ok, but looks kinda cheap from the other angles!

What make/where did you get the grille inserts? Those look bada$$

I put a SteelCraft Brush Guard on and mounted 4 Lightforce Striker 170's on it... Nice part is the guard is set to the frame and dosen't vibrate... well... except for the slight vibe coming from the back end that vibrates the whole vehicle and the local Ford Dealership won't do anything about b/c they say it's inherinet in the model! BS!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:31 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Updated 12/13/2010

Lights mounted. I will post pictures of light output later in the week.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:05 PM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Front View

Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM
eddiemoney
Senior User
Looks good except for that awful side view. I really wish it integrated better in the frame/bumper

Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Cabinboy07
Freshman User
I second eddiemoney. The mounting braket just looks too flimsy, but then again, you did mention that these are really only for asthetics and not demolition derby style driving.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Update 12/17/2010:

Low Beams

Low Beams & Fog Lights

HID Lights Only

Low Beams and HID Lights

Low Beams, HID, and Fog Lights

Result?

I'm happy.

I think the HID compliments the Low and Fog lights filling in the gap between the two. I aimed the HIDs so that they shine near the level of the low beams so that I can run them without blinding oncoming traffic.

I would like to post pictures of the light output distance wise, maybe will I'm up north later this month.

Bring on the SNOW!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:13 AM
hjsimpson
Senior User
Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Looks good except for that awful side view. I really wish it integrated better in the frame/bumper
Maybe in the future I can get something fabricated to added ono the bracket and painted to match.

I did a quick photoshop of the sideviews.

Side View Closeup Rendering (Photoshopped)

Side View Rendering (Photoshopped)

Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Cabinboy07
Freshman User
That's cool. Thanks for the updated light output. The HIDs reall help. Also, I like the photoshoping. Makes the bull bar look much more substantial from the side!!

Quick Reply: Hunter Bull Bar Install / Review