Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
New User

pete2294 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Auxiliary Fuel Tank for the Excursion

Hi I am going to mount a second fueltank on my excursion -- I have measured and build a simple cardboard model. Does anyone here have any ideas, comments or even measurements that they have used in the past? I looked at the tanks on http://transferflow.com/ford_chassis_tanks.html they don't have any specificly for the Excursion I am thinking that the shortbox 250/350's probably are too long for the excursion. Again -- any type of info you might have -- I would greatly appreciate it if you share it.

Thanks,

Henning
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior User

emptyd is starting off with a positive reputation.
This topic has come up a few times on the this forum. You might try the search feature to see if answers have already been given.

One caution - there appear to be a lot of laws regarding the modification of the fuel system on vehicles. In part because of the safety factors involved, and in part because it has become part of the emmissions control system of the vehicle (pressurized tanks...). So be careful! Not only do we not want to see you get "cooked", but we also don't want to seek you get "booked".

--- edit ---
I did a search and didn't find much - but I'm sure I've seen this covered here before. Anyhow, I found this vendor: http://www.aerotanks.com/ that has a variety of standard tanks. None of them specifically say they are for the excursion, but with the similarity between our Xs and the F truck line something might work.

Here is a quote from their page " We build custom fuel tanks to your specifications...".

One benefit of going with a vendor instead of fabricating something yourself is that they have already "fought" the "liability fight" so things are more likely safe.
Hellwig rear anti-sway
Zoodad mod (Monsta's version)
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 285/75R16 E
Towing 7800# Hornet Travel Trailer using Hensley Arrow hitch

Last edited by emptyd; 08-23-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Senior User

weberr7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am just wondering..........why?

06 StarCraft Antigua 235SRG
Old 08-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior User

emptyd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberr7
Toting 70 or 100 gallons around may seem like a lot, but at 8 MPG or less (when towing) it doesn't go as far as you might think. Also, the added range allows you to be choosy when buying fuel. Some like to wait for lower prices, while others prefer fuel only from certain vendors.

As an example, where I live fuel prices are 20 to 30 cents higher per gallon than in the next city over. My savings would be even greater if I could cut the frequency of fillup trips by buying 100 gallons at a time instead of 40.

This mod is on my wish-list also, but I haven't seen a good (and affordable) option yet.
Hellwig rear anti-sway
Zoodad mod (Monsta's version)
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 285/75R16 E
Towing 7800# Hornet Travel Trailer using Hensley Arrow hitch

Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Senior User

Move over I'm coming is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs down Looked like the project from hell..........

I already did some research on an additional tank. It would make sense with a diesel but the gasoline tank would require too much expense. Look in northerntool.com
They carry auxilary fuel tanks but in order for you to get one to work on a gas system an auxilary pump must be mounted so you could transfer fuel to the primary tank at the filler neck. There is a kit to prevent overflow but it states it is for diesel only at 69.99.Remember your fuel pump and return emission equipment are pressure monitored on a gasser and I can already forsee you responding to a MIL light problem after installing an auxilary tank.
I don't think you could install a dual fuel pump like in the pick-ups system since you cant install the tanks at the same level and the harness nightmere and the added cost of another pump + return line plumbing. If however someone has figured this out i'll bow to their skills. I'm just an opinionated beer drinker.
Good reading I've got to go. While your at it,Move over I'm coming C-ya, Rich.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyd
--- edit ---
I did a search and didn't find much - but I'm sure I've seen this covered here before. Anyhow, I found this vendor: http://www.aerotanks.com/ that has a variety of standard tanks. None of them specifically say they are for the excursion, but with the similarity between our Xs and the F truck line something might work.

Here is a quote from their page " We build custom fuel tanks to your specifications...".

One benefit of going with a vendor instead of fabricating something yourself is that they have already "fought" the "liability fight" so things are more likely safe.
Thanks for the link -- I did a search before posting and did not find much... I have seen some pictures of custom tanks under excursions -- but thats about it.

Quote:
Two tank Vegistroke system

So I am not worried about gas tanks I am going to leave the stock tank untouched. When I get the tank put together I will make sure to share the dimensions etc with anyone interested.

Thanks for all the responses
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

vegistroke james is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello,
I am curious if you are looking for a steel tank or alum.? Also how many gallons were you looking to get out of the second tank? What were you thinking you would like to see for a filler neck to the tank? Will you be running diesel or gas in it?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegistroke james
Hello,
I am curious if you are looking for a steel tank or alum.? Also how many gallons were you looking to get out of the second tank? What were you thinking you would like to see for a filler neck to the tank? Will you be running diesel or gas in it?

I will probably go with Stainless Steel as I don't have access to Alu welding. I think I can squeeze ~30 gallons of diesel into the tank.. the filler neck is still an open question.. any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I agree with weberr7......WHY! The tank cost, tank installation (you know you have to mod or add something to get it to work) then the cost of plumbing the tank into the fuel system (valves, switches, lines, wire, labor, extra fuel inlet on the side of the X, etc.). You can buy a lot of diesel when you consider the cost of the extra tank and hardware and the diesel price differential (5 to 10 cents/gal). Is it really worth it? FWIW!

DSMMH
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell SS Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
New User

jwpaul is starting off with a positive reputation.
pete2294

Any luck with the tank? I am trying to do the exact same thing, but am having a heck of a time finding a tank to run the WVO through.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Senior User

jjbirish is starting off with a positive reputation.
this may allow you to be a little more selective on where and when to buy fuel, but all i see is negitive benefit when compared to the cost and i don't need to carry another 400# of weight around all the time...
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM
New User

2EXP & 1EXC is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am in the same situation and need to add more fuel when I tow. I have a 5gal jeep tank that I strap to the trailer but I would much rather have the fuel already in the vehicle rather than carry the 5 gallons as a just in case. I travel from NJ to FL a couple times a year and although I am not picky about where I buy my fuel I am limited on where I fit. I tow a 34foot trailer, adding in the truck I am over 50 foot long and regular gas stations won't accomodate. I run gas not deisel, so pressurization is a concern.
NJ used to be a joke for inspection but over the past couple of years it has gotten stricter. I have bought 5 fuel caps over the past 5 years for my 3 Fords. I don't need this adding to my inspection headaches.

I was thinking 10-15 gals of fuel but if it turns into a costly endevour I might as well go as large as I can.

Any new info would help my cause as well.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

vegistroke james is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey guys, we are currently working with RDS on an underbelly tank that should be at least half the cost of our previous Excursion tank, also we are shooting for around 40+ gallons. Of course that sometimes is eaiser said than done, so hit us up in two to three weeks if you think you would be interested. I hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Senior User

pdx02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegistroke james
Hey guys, we are currently working with RDS on an underbelly tank that should be at least half the cost of our previous Excursion tank, also we are shooting for around 40+ gallons. Of course that sometimes is eaiser said than done, so hit us up in two to three weeks if you think you would be interested. I hope you all had a great weekend!
I am eagerly awaiting, cash in hand, this 40 gallon tank so I can get that new vs system installed on my ex. Keep us posted!
2002 Excursion Limited Ultimate 7.3 PSD. DP Tuner NS, Stock, 1100 HI, 60t, 80e, 120r, 140a. 4" MBRP Exhaust. AFE stage 2 w/ Pro Guard Intake. 35" Toyo M/T & 20" AR Thug w/ Teflon Coating. Bilsteins. Vegistroke V3 VO System. 203* Therm. Pilot Bi-Xenon Head & Fog Lights. Foil Delete
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
New User

marty2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any news on the "RDS underbelly tank " ? Sounds interesting
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
auxiliary, big, capacity, cost, diesel, excursion, extra, f150, ford, fuel, gas, install, large, tank, tanks, truck