6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Trucks been flagged

Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
and honestly I think they did the proper thing by voiding it......
Totally agree!

biz

Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Where you comin from?

Cowboy Steve
Every week, from Snohomish... To Bend. Lovely 6 hour comute...

Lots of haters on the forums today huh...

SO your telling me Ford alocates a $1000 for warranty costs over the life of a vehical? No wounder there nearly bankrupt...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two
Totally agree!

biz

Ditto

I don't see how anyone can even think its fair to claim warrenty work on a chipped or modded vehicle.

Don't think a new intake will hurt anything though.

All the hits FMCO took over the years in warrenty work from modded chipped diesels, you did it to yourself.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously if I removed the Diesel Particulate Filter and Diesel Oxidation Catalyst from my vehicle I would not expect any engine failure to be covered. This is a VITAL component on these new engines. Without proper tuning removal of those components could be depramental to the engine. (i.e. - timing, fuel, boost, egr)

Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
AGREE!

If I had a product that I sold and it had a warranty on it and it was modified from it's original engineering and design, I wouldn't want to have to pay for it's repair? It really is deceitful and it really comes down to being a thief! Those may be strong words but hey stealing from Ford is what it is! Explain to me how it is any different? This is easy for me to say since my 6.0 Ex is stock...........

Old 08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Let me ask you this Steve......., how can I tell if my truck has been flagged? I took in my truck last week with the 4" exhaust, and AFE intake on it. Truck was in to have the updated flash done to help minimize the regen. No one ever mentioned anything to me about it.

Nick

Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't see how anyone can even think its fair to claim warrenty work on a chipped or modded vehicle.
I've had 5 warranty repairs and one recall repair done to my truck while it was modified. Not a single one of them was related to my mods, and the dealerships that worked on it knew it. That's why my warranty was never voided, and I was never once threatened to have it voided, flagged, etc. Any time I took it to the dealer for repair, I explained the problem in detail, told them about my mods, and they fixed it without question. Mind you this wasn't just one single mod friendly dealership, my truck has been to 4 different ones in 3 different states.

Now mod your truck, break it because of the mod, then try and get it warrantied, well I don't agree with that. But a warranty should never be voided entirely due to modifications, especially if the mods in no way played a part in a failure. Most dealerships understand this concept, but a few don't. Always talk to the service reps before taking your truck in for repairs, and never try to pull the wool over their eyes, in the end they'll find out.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
mikey2000
Senior User
The problem is he removed critical emissions equipment that is federally mandated and necessary for the engine to run properly. This is not a "mod"... it is a re-design. Think the space shuttle will fly without it's navigation system?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mikey2000
The problem is he removed critical emissions equipment that is federally mandated and necessary for the engine to run properly. This is not a "mod"... it is a re-design. Think the space shuttle will fly without it's navigation system?
But it has zero effect on many other engine components, transmission, differential, etc. It's a truck, not the space shuttle.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've had 5 warranty repairs and one recall repair done to my truck while it was modified. Not a single one of them was related to my mods, and the dealerships that worked on it knew it. That's why my warranty was never voided, and I was never once threatened to have it voided, flagged, etc. Any time I took it to the dealer for repair, I explained the problem in detail, told them about my mods, and they fixed it without question. Mind you this wasn't just one single mod friendly dealership, my truck has been to 4 different ones in 3 different states.

Now mod your truck, break it because of the mod, then try and get it warrantied, well I don't agree with that. But a warranty should never be voided entirely due to modifications, especially if the mods in no way played a part in a failure. Most dealerships understand this concept, but a few don't. Always talk to the service reps before taking your truck in for repairs, and never try to pull the wool over their eyes, in the end they'll find out.

I should have specified in my previous post that the entire warrenty should not have been void, just the powertrain. The powertrain has nothing to do with say a windshield wiper motor that failed or the cruise control and etc.

All of the warrenty being voided was somewhat unfair. However I guess that was the easiest way to do it.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
66f25red
Senior User
Talking warranty

Originally Posted by powerstroked162
Haha, nothin fishy about it. Sure wish it was tho, I might still have my powertrain warranty.

Cowboy Steve
Cowboy,

A warranty can not be voided out of hand. The Warrantor must prove that a modification caused the failure you seek to have repaired.

Typically, the Dealers who "flag" your warranty are those who have a high warranty expense in relation to other Dealer of the same size. If the Dealers waranty expenses are high in a given catagorey, the manufactuer can require the Dealer get prior approval for the repair. As a factory rep for 20 + years, I dealt with the issue on occasion, refusing warranty is very difficult. If you maintain your truck (retain all reciepts) denial of a claim is not likely; unless any modification can be shown to directly cause the claimed failure, the factory must take care of it.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
mikey2000
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
But it has zero effect on many other engine components, transmission, differential, etc. It's a truck, not the space shuttle.
How do you know what the engine management system controls? What if the engine never reaches optimum operating temp without the cat/dpf and sends out a signal to the other components which causes them to fail? Could be a ripple affect. 6.4's are the space shuttle compared to the dinosaur 7.3's.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Mike SVOR
Junior User
If you know anything about engines and turbos, you would know that having a glowing hot turbo for 20 minute regens along with high back pressure isn't exactly 'good' for the engine.

I'm paying for the fuel. I will get the best for my dollar.
When I put a tuner on that removes the regen, I don't care if it adds a single hp.
I am shooting for gas milage.
That isn't gona break a darn part because of it either.
So how can ford be just in saying a waranty is denied because of the removal of a part that works the engine even harder through it's life time?

It's just like denying a waranty because I put a larger radiator in.

Last edited by Mike SVOR; 08-28-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mikey2000
How do you know what the engine management system controls? What if the engine never reaches optimum operating temp without the cat/dpf and sends out a signal to the other components which causes them to fail? Could be a ripple affect.
Obviously in this statement you don't know how the new emissions controls work.

My point I was trying to make earlier is what was stated here:
A warranty can not be voided out of hand. The Warrantor must prove that a modification caused the failure you seek to have repaired.

Typically, the Dealers who "flag" your warranty are those who have a high warranty expense in relation to other Dealer of the same size. If the Dealers waranty expenses are high in a given catagorey, the manufactuer can require the Dealer get prior approval for the repair. As a factory rep for 20 + years, I dealt with the issue on occasion, refusing warranty is very difficult. If you maintain your truck (retain all reciepts) denial of a claim is not likely; unless any modification can be shown to directly cause the claimed failure, the factory must take care of it.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:02 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mike SVOR
If you know anything about engines and turbos, you would know that having a glowing hot turbo for 20 minute regens along with high back pressure isn't exactly 'good' for the engine.

Well the turbo(s) won't be glowing hot for 20 minute regens because they are upstream from the DPF and the "high back pressure" is not near as high as many seem to want to believe.
Ford warranties it as they designed and manufactured it and that is all they can & should really be expected to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trucks been flagged