Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Performance Chips (KEN)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:38 PM
rsjohnsn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

I heard somewhere that 92 octane fuel is required for the Diablo chips but is this required for the Superchips? I am aquiring for the vehicle below and would it require a custom chip?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2002, 08:55 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

I'm not Ken, but maybe I can answer your questions.

Superchips do require 91+ octane fuel. However, you can buy a "flip chip" that has two different programs. You can have a regular (87 octane) program and a performance (92 octane) program on a single chip. Or any other combination of two programs.

Your mods do not require you to purchase a "custom" program.

Old 02-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Feb-02 AT 10:43 AM (EST)]Hey, my name is Ken, do I count?

I read a post written by Ken Payne who said that the Flip chip for the V10 is basically a waste and he wouldn't recommend it. Of course, if he reads this, I'm sure he'll verify.

On edit: I found what I was referring to...

Quote by Ken Payne:
The gas engine flip-chip (not V10 gas) is listed for almost $100 more than the standard gas engine chip.

The V10 and diesel flip chips are not listed, they cost alot of money and I don't recommend it for the V10. You're going to pay in excess of $600 for a V10 flip-chip and you won't save any money on fuel with 87 octane because the high octane program generally gives a mileage increase.

Old 02-04-2002, 02:58 PM
rsjohnsn
Senior User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Thanks Guys, unless Ken post's otherwise then I guess I'll buy the Diablo. If I have to run 92 octane then I might as well go for the extra ponies and cheaper price!

Old 02-04-2002, 03:50 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

While it's very true about the cost, I wouldn't count on getting any extra MPGs from the chip. A few people do see an increase, but it's not "normal"... depends on whether you can keep yourself from using that extra power. ;-)

Old 02-05-2002, 09:10 AM
350R
Junior User
Performance Chips (KEN)

I put a Diablo in my 99 about three weeks ago. Before that I started using 91 octane and found 1.8 miles better in milage which offset the difference in cost. Since I put the Diablo in I have lost about a mile per gallon (possibly the heavy foot syndrome, smile factor). All in all I wouldn't go go back to running without it, certainly not this summer when I get the ATV's loaded on it, hookup the trailer and start heading for the mountains. The first thing I noticed is that it deleted the power delay. Now when you step on it, it doesn't feel like a slug, it just takes off and moves.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

>While it's very true about the cost, I wouldn't count on
>getting any extra MPGs from the chip. A few people
>do see an increase, but it's not "normal"... depends on
>whether you can keep yourself from using that extra
>power. ;-)

Very true! IF you driving habits stay the same your mileage generally goes up. But its so hard not got "get into it" with the extra power!

Old 02-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Edmo
Senior User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Hey 350R,

I just looked at your gallery and had to say...

Nice Rack!

Edmo

Old 02-14-2002, 02:43 PM
looeedog
New User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Hi guys; how about some advice. I have a 2000 F250 Superduty with the V10. I'm about to add a Paxton supercharger. Although it's not required for the supercharger install, I also want to change the factory chip to eliminate the 95mph limiter. The only thing the Paxton people have warned me about is to NOT get a chip that will advance my ignition timing as that could cause serious problems for the supercharger. Any advice or suggestions as to where I might find the chip I need will be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Old 02-14-2002, 07:33 PM
rsjohnsn
Senior User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Get in contact with Ken (above) and he can answer all your questions. They can custom program a chip for you with a list of your mods. Now, why would you want to drive your truck over 95mph? These things aren't built for that kind of speed. I can see the supercharger for towing or playing in the mud but not for racing.

Old 02-14-2002, 08:16 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Performance Chips (KEN)

In fact, post your question in the chip forum and see what answers turn up! Ken may respond to it there probably a bit more readily there than with it buried here in the V10 forum.

Old 02-15-2002, 01:01 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Performance Chips (KEN)

Basically, what you would need is a custom chip coded. One with shift modifications and the speed limiter raised (you can select how high most of the time), the timing left stock and the fuel curves possibly modified.

We could do it with either DiabloSport or Superchips. Unfortunately, Superchips just doubled the custom programming fee earlier this month....

Old 02-15-2002, 02:22 PM
looeedog
New User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Scott: In Nevada we have a 75mph daylight rural speed law (no points, $25 ticket, non-moving violation) and the highway patrol normally doesn't ticket between 65 & 75. I'm 100 miles from Las Vegas and about 60 of those miles are two lane, uphill with tons of big rigs, motorhomes, 5th wheels, etc. If passing, its normal to pass several at once & if you start out at 70+ its real easy to get to 95 before you get around everyone. Its real uncomfortable to have your engine cut out when you're about half way around a long string of bunched up vehicles. In fact, I'm waiting for the heirs of some unlucky guy to sue Ford because their late, lamented loved one got killed in a head on.

Old 02-15-2002, 02:29 PM
looeedog
New User
Performance Chips (KEN)

Ken: If Superchips is the better chip I don't have a problem with an increased programming cost, especially with what I'm spending on the supercharger. I don't know anything about Superchips vs Diablo though, my one & only chip upgrade was a Jet for my 93 GMC Suburban, and by the time I got my 96, I had to buy a Hypertech programmer. This is a long way of saying I appreciate, and will follow, your advice in this area. Jeff

Old 02-15-2002, 03:30 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Performance Chips (KEN)

With a custom chip, its a toss up since either will provide a chip to your exact specs. Superchips is going to run about $100 more than Diablo for the custom programming. If it had been 6 months ago under the same circustances I'd say go with the Superchips because they have faster turn-around. But not any longer. Diablo now knocks out custom code within 24-48 hours and I'm putting enough volume through them that on occasions I get some requests within a few hours (the vast majority of dealers code a small handful each month). Also, you may want to wait because the Diablo Delta chip is due soon.....

Quick Reply: Performance Chips (KEN)