1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent Sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cyrex, the 2dims won't fit in my dash i have the older truck remember... Drbalazo, that is perfect, just what i priced on crutchfield but it's $100 cheaper.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 AM
v10lampert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was going to say check ebay. they always have stuff a lot cheaper

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
one_wicked_element
Senior User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
cyrex, the 2dims won't fit in my dash i have the older truck remember... Drbalazo, that is perfect, just what i priced on crutchfield but it's $100 cheaper.
You can get a Double Din to work - it just takes a bit to get it in there.

First, you will need a double din kit:

Metra 1995-Up Ford/Mercury/Mazda Installation Kit
Cost: $19.99
Kit: 995805

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do

Picture:

End Result:

You will have to shave the top and bottom of the radio opening a little to fit the avic (there is a small lip there - you will not notice once it's put back together).

Harness is a 70-1771

Info taken from: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8808

Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
I also am not a big fan of Jensen products. They do not last.

You can fit a double din unit like one_wicked was saying. I had one in my 99 F250. It really isn't all that hard. Just take the dash panel out of the truck and use a dremel to grind out the upper and lower lip inside the radio opening. Just grind it until it is flush with the main flat area around it. Leave the lips on the sides as that is what the install kit that one_wicked suggested hooks on. Also, by leaving them it will allow you to put the stock stereo back in if you get rid of the truck. There was also a screw and a clip in the radio opening on the dash structure in the truck that you have to remove.

Crutchfield has a good selection and great customer service, but they are expensive compared to other online retailers.

I would suggest you buy the Kenwood DDX-7019. It's a bit more than you were hoping to spend but it will be worth it in the long run.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8777_Kenwood+DDX7019+-DDX-7019-.html
Then you can get the Ipod cable iP300V for video ipods, or iP200 for regular.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9141_Kenwood+KCA-iP300V.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KCA-iP200.html

That will probably take up most of your budget now. If you decide you want more bass, start saving your money and then get one of these boxes with two Image Dynamics IDQ10s.
http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/48.htm

Last edited by Beerstalker; 08-24-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GregsSD
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it (cough,cough) but the pioneer AVIC-D3 is awsome!!!

I love having the navigation, dvd, ipod interface, backup cams, and it's all very easy to use.
Here's Mine:
You do not happen to have the Audiophile setup with this HU, do you? Its a slick unit, and certainly something that I might consider. I would want to use it though, with the Audiophile packaged speakers and amp. Thanks

Old 08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
cyrexpl
Junior User
I think you should go double din, as you can see they fit, albeit with a little more work, but they fit. Not only is a double din look better there are also less parts to break from the screen motoring in and out on a single din.

As to Crutchfield as has been stated they have excellent customer service and are quite knowledgeable. That said, the customer service and knowledge comes with a price as they are generally quite expensive.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
Kris,
I have the Jensen VM9312 and I am kinda on the fence..... I have a few friends that work in local stereo shops and they have all had bad experiences with the screens failing. I have used it for about 4 months fairly trouble free. My issues have been: I cannot get the clock set any time I set it a minute later it changes to exactly 7 hours slow. It doesn't bug me to much so I just kinda deal with it. I feel it is a little slow to open and close. And last sometimes when using the XM function I get no sound and or when I select a station the touch screen doesn't register. Other than these few issues I have not had any major issues. installation was extremely simple other than the fact that there are so many damn connections you almost cannot fit all the wire behind it. I will try to post some pictures today.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Thanks for all the continued input. I actually really wanted a double din indash unit, i don't prefer one that flips out and etc, youre all right, just too much to break. I like the fact i can fit that in my truck and i've had the dash off several times... I am going to keep looking around... If any of you can point me to the following it would be great: CD/DVD player, radio tuner, double din indash screen, with outputs for connecting my iPod and possibly a USB connection. I do not want navigation or GPS, no satellite radio. I love the AVIC and how it looks but i dont want the navigation. Does Pioneer make something similar without the navigation but still relatively the same features? Ive been going over the Kenwood ddx7019 and looks appealing so far. Question, can i adjust the colors to match my factory green lights and the green gauges in my cab. I don't know why, but alot of HU's i see are blue?

Last edited by PowerstrokeJunkie; 08-24-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first of all, i would stay away from sony's head units..

i have a pioneer i cant find the box to remember the model number but it is very similar to this one here .. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...194603,00.html

its not the most expensive or best on the market by any means but it looks great in my truck and i love the color

as you can tell by the picture, it is mostly blue, however the green lights you can see in there too match the stock green lights perfectly. when i get gauges i am going to get blue to match the cd player so i have both a mix of green and blue

Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question, can i adjust the colors to match my factory green lights and the green gauges in my cab. I don't know why, but alot of HU's i see are blue?
I can speak from experiance with the Kenwood DDX-8017 that you can change the background colors and the background picture as well and I believe they have some color that comes close to the factory green, but not necessarily green, but still close. I actually like the blue color, in my mind it's easier to look at then the factory green, the green is a little "harsh" in my opinion. Now, you don't have to add the nav brain to any radio that can handle navigation(unless it says it's built into the unit then your stuck with it, but if it says you can add it or something along those lines you don't have to) and you don't have to buy an xm(or sirius) tuner, or even activate it if it comes built in, but it's there if you want it. If you spend a lot of time in your truck then it might be worth getting, I spend too much in mine, so I more then make up for the monthly subscription.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
As far as I know you can change the background to custom images on the DDX7019 (I can't on my 6019). I can't remember what color the buttons light up on it, but it doesn't realy matter because there is only like 6 really small buttons, that you don't even really notice when they are lit up. The maority of the functions are controlled from the touchscreen. I will try to pay attention tonight and see what colors they are when I drive home.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:31 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I love my ipod hookup. Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwoods are good units. I had a JVC and i blew it up, i have a pioneer in my closet from about 4 years ago and it still works. My alpine probably has the best sounds out of all of them though, but i dont know if they make a in dash screen though, and they are pricey. The kenwoods are nice, my buddy has one in his truck. It weird watching a movie in a truck to me.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John311t
My alpine probably has the best sounds out of all of them though, but i dont know if they make a in dash screen though, and they are pricey.
They do make an indash screen. The only bad side to Alpine is customer service, if you have a radio in for repair you have to be on them constantly to make sure that you are going to get your radio back in a timely manner.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
You do not happen to have the Audiophile setup with this HU, do you? Its a slick unit, and certainly something that I might consider. I would want to use it though, with the Audiophile packaged speakers and amp. Thanks
No, I don't have the audiophile system. I do have some infinity reference speakers and it sounds great.
Later on I will add an amp and subwoofer.

Some info for everyone, with the avic-d3 you can load your own background picture and you can customize the button colors to any color you want.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
I need to talk to some pros I guess, to make sure the stock Audiophile setup would interface with something like this deck easily.

Quick Reply: Decent Sound system?