1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First paint job

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First paint job

Paint job number 001. My buddies 64 Econoline Van. He got it from his grandfather who bought it new. We built a paint booth in his garage adding a 60 gal single stage Home Depot compressor with an inline filter and a moisture ball at the gun. Used a Devilbiss Finishline 3 HVLP gun and PPG Acrlic Enamel single stage with hardener. He remove the paint from the wheels with a paint remover for metal primed and painted to match the side panels. Plan to buff it out his week. My 55 is next in a couple of months. We learned alot on this project which will help number 002. Best part is when he has the truck out he can say he did it and be proud.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
mamelukesword
Junior User
Thumbs up Looking Good!

paint job 001 looks good, that should mean that paint job 002 will look better (and it your truck!).

Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks, goood, hope my 001 looks that good when (if) I ever get it ready for paint...

Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks purdy! I like the color. A paint job is the next thing up for me and it's looking like I'll have to paint it myself. This would be my 001 paint job, too.

I'd like to know more about what you did to make the garage a servicable paint booth.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Joe;

Nice job on your maiden paint job ...I'm sure you learned a lot.

Keep the info/tips coming.

I hope to be in the paint stage this winter, I'm looking at renting a space in a booth to see if I can do it myself.I'll weight the costs, but I idea on these projects is DIY so we'll see.

Tom

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
joe hoffman
Senior User
Paint Booth

The garage is about 24x32 plus or minus. We built a temporary frame wall and stapled on sheet plastic to separate half off for the booth. There are two small windows on one end and a garage door on the other with a standard door beside the garage door. in the standard door we installed a attic fan point to the outside and sealed off the top with plywood for our vent fan. We can control the amount of fresh air inby opening and losing the windows at the opposite end with the garage door shut of course. Installed a dozen or so 48" flouresent lights in the ceiling and walls. It ventilates great with the fan on high never having a real high buildup of overspray. The compressor is in the other side of the garage. Jack ran the 3/4 pvc air piping at a slope going up from the compressor all the way to the drop leg for the hook up. So far never had a moisture problem and that is saying alot coming from Orlando in August. we did the final color application while it was raining and did not have any problems. when we get done with my truck we can just knock down the temp wall and the garage will be back to normal. Joe

Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great pic of the paint job Joe. I also like the idea you guys had on the paint booth and how you set it up. Nice. The previous owner of my house (carbuff) set up my garage for painting also. I was told he used to paint boats in the garage. I have this huge ventilation system on the ceiling. I have the compressor, lines, etc. I don't have paint gun yet and have never shot paint. This give me an idea of doing my running boards, which need some help. I heard it's all in the prep work. Looks like you guys did your homework.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post Joe, thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Nice job Joe. My only critical point is the hose behind the lower grill. Or is that coming out to be replaced by a new one? Great color too. Jag

Old 08-22-2007, 04:32 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
Wow!! The van looks incredible, nice job. I can't wait to see how your truck comes out. Thanks for the tips on getting the garage set up for painting

Bobby

Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
53 Effie
Senior User
Nice job with the paint. I hope your truck turns out as nice.

I painted my boat trailer in my garage last winter, but I wasn't happy with the results. Didn't have proper ventilation to control overspray so the finish turned out rough and dull. Also made a mess in my garage. After that I decided that paint will be one of the things I add to the list of things I get someone else to do. Along with upholstery and engine machine work.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:43 PM
F100Slammer
Freshman User
Nice job!

I see very little overspray on the floor, a good sign. I have done the same thing before, only I had a smaller garage. I stapled Visqueen plastic sheeting on the ceiling and walls, added all of the lights I could come up with. The garage had a large window and two 3’ walk doors besides the main garage door. I installed 2 fans blowing out of one doors and built a wooden grid and taped furnace filters to it to filter the incoming air coming in the other door, and I also painted a van. Vans are tough because of the roof (sometimes need a stepladder and it’s a large surface to keep a wet edge on, and the vertical sides are some of the toughest to lay a full wet coat down on without getting runs. Again, looks like you did a great job.

Larry

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
That looks great for a first paint job! Most of mine have been painted outdoors, so you can imagine what kind of dirt and bugs get stuck to the finish. A friend of mine came up with a idea of using a frame and plastic for a paint booth, with filters taped on one end and a fan in the other. If you paint outside like that, just turn off the fan when done and the sun will heat the enclosure to "bake" the paint quickly. I have used this method for painting several vehicles and it seems to work well.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Looks great Joe! I did a similar thing with my garage for a temporary paint booth. Good luck with 002.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
Hey randy i'm thinkin about building a paint booth also maybe we could do something together im not that close to paint maybe 6-8 months you might be closer.

Quick Reply: First paint job