04' f250 Y-pipe replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 AM
MAXEY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' f250 Y-pipe replacement ?

Hey guys I have a 04 f250 with the 5.4 I have since put intake, reprogrammed with super chips programmer. I put on gibson headers and a flowmaster cat back exhaust (3"). Everything is great except for the little narrowed pieces on the factory Y-pipe. I would like to replace this as its the one choke point on my exhaust right now.

I have not been able to find any for sale. All exhaust systems I have scene for the SD are cat back only with options to buy headers. Is there a site that I missed that has these for sale. I would like to know before I go down to the local muffler shop incase I need to hagle a price for them to be modified or a whole new one built.

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A guy on E-Bay sells Y-pipes for the SD 5.4l and 6.8l. (Type in "V10") They are offered in steel and 304 ss. I bought one for my dad and am finally getting it put on in a week or two.

There is also a Stan's Y-pipe that is similar to the E-bay y-pipe that several guys here at FTE have.

Eaither Y-pipe is made to just replace the portion of the stock Y-pipe that reduces in size.

Cut a small section out, weld the new one in and your done.

I'm making a custom y-ipe for my 04' 6.8l with a Magnaflow universal y-pipe and a 2 1/2" mandrel bent J-bend.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
The Magnaflow y-pipe is a killer product for 250's. We have it here at the MotorHaven shop and the reviews by users have been very positive feedback. http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/69A2680A0A0.aspx

dfk, do you know anyone that has already made a custom y with it? Any pictures once you're finished?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToughBuiltFord
The Magnaflow y-pipe is a killer product for 250's. We have it here at the MotorHaven shop and the reviews by users have been very positive feedback. http://motorhaven.autoanything.com/exhausts-mufflers/69A2680A0A0.aspx

dfk, do you know anyone that has already made a custom y with it? Any pictures once you're finished?
I have yet to install it, 12-14 hour days 6-7 days a week will do that.

I'm going to make time soon. I have the 3"in dual 2.5" out stamped ss y-pipe and I cut about 2.5" section of the 3" end after the 3" ID inlet and shortened I 2.5" outlet about 1" and Tig welded everything back together. This was to shorten it up so I will be able make the bend to connect in with the stock system. I can't do any cutting to the J-Bend yet until I have the old pipe cut out.

The quality of the Magnaflow Y is very good with smooth transitions. It is definatly a good place to start.

I'll put pics in my gallery when I'm finished. I use the truck everyday so its hard to get some extra down time for the install.

ToughBuiltFord that is a great price on the Magna Y-pipe. Quite a bit less than what I paid. I'll bookmark your site.

Last edited by dkf; 08-22-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
ToughBuiltFord
FTE Sponsor
Sounds like you need to call in sick to work and dig in for a day on the install I hear you on that one.

Thanks for the props on the site. We work with the FTE crew and support the forums parts and accessories store.

Lookin forward to seeing those pics.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
MAXEY
Senior User
Ahh good link, Ill keep that in consideration. Thats a good price also.

One thing I went by the local muffler shop today (Kitsap muffler). I was talking with the guys there and they said they did this same alteration to a guys f250 and that it gave him a bunch of error codes and he ran into a bunch of issues and had to get it replaced with the stock one.

I have never heard of this issue before but I figure maybe he didnt have a programmer or something and the stock program didnt know how to deal with the extra flow. Anyways any feedback on this would be appreciated. I am running a 04 if that matters.

They said they would do it for me just thought I should research it a bit more to make sure I dont jack something up.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
MAXEY
Senior User
Also on those magna flow guys is that picture accurate. If so it looks like alot of welding and stuff, I would definatly get one if they bolted right in but looks like you gotta some cutting and such to get it to fit.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToughBuiltFord
Sounds like you need to call in sick to work and dig in for a day on the install I hear you on that one.

Thanks for the props on the site. We work with the FTE crew and support the forums parts and accessories store.

Lookin forward to seeing those pics.
Its my business and the work has to get done so I guess I'm SOL.

You do have a great site there with lots of products.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MAXEY
Ahh good link, Ill keep that in consideration. Thats a good price also.

One thing I went by the local muffler shop today (Kitsap muffler). I was talking with the guys there and they said they did this same alteration to a guys f250 and that it gave him a bunch of error codes and he ran into a bunch of issues and had to get it replaced with the stock one.

I have never heard of this issue before but I figure maybe he didnt have a programmer or something and the stock program didnt know how to deal with the extra flow. Anyways any feedback on this would be appreciated. I am running a 04 if that matters.

They said they would do it for me just thought I should research it a bit more to make sure I dont jack something up.

Thanks.
Replacing the Y-pipe should not throw codes. I'll find out soon.

I have a K&N FIPK, Custom exhaust and a High flow Dynatech cat and will be adding a set of JBA headers along with the Y-pipe shortly. I have a SCT SF that I use to adjust parameters. I bumped up the Fuel 2% at WOT to help compensate for the Intake and Exhaust. After my mods are done I'm going to get my truck dyno tuned for some extra power and to ensure the Air/Fuel ratio is right.

That being said there are many guys on FTE that have done this Y-pipe mod with no problems.

The Magnaflow is just a Y-pipe, there are no connecting pipes weldded onto it like the Stan's and E-Bay Y-pipes. The Stan's and E-Bay Y-pipe are a simple cut-off the old section and weld in the new type of deal. They are designed to fit in place without fabing anything.

The Magnaflow y-pipe requires custom fitting and modifying to fit.

You may want to search FTE for past threads on Y-pipe installs.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
MAXEY
Senior User
Thanks and let us know how ti goes with your setup. I have done the cat back, headers, k/n intake. I never got any codes and I have a super chips programmer that I changed over some of the parameters without issue.

I think it will be fine.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some cutting and welding will be required. Ford's factory transistion just is not smooth. It is best to ge the air flowing in the same direction before merging it together. The replacement y-pipe does just that.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bear River
Some cutting and welding will be required. Ford's factory transistion just is not smooth. It is best to ge the air flowing in the same direction before merging it together. The replacement y-pipe does just that.
I would have fired the guy at Ford that designed the Y-pipe. Its just plain horrible.