2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-12-2014, 12:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2wd vs. 4wd....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
7magshooter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd vs. 4wd....

What do you have and why?

I'll be making a new truck (ext cab) purchase in the next 5 months or so and am having a hard time narrowing this part down. I've always had 4x4 in every pickup I've owned (Ford and Chevy), not because I am going to take this thing I'm paying so much for per month out through some mud hole, but because in the past, the 4wd versions look so much better (ride height). However, with the Ford and GM trucks, it's relatively inexpensive to level out a 2wd and make it look like it should. I do some hunting and riding the ATV/dirtbike but the truck doesn't see any seriously muddy conditions.

2wd is cheaper by what, almost $3000?
2wd gets better MPG??
Does the 2wd really ride better?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only had two wheel drive trucks, but I live in Delaware, and usually keep it on the road, no off-roading, or beach driving. Snow, is rare here, but even when there is, I usually go in two wheel drive cars (rear-wheel drive cars) where trucks don't go, and even pass 4-wheel drive trucks. The rear of the truck being lighter than a car, makes me load my truck's rear for snow-driving, though, so that may be a concern for you........I think that in the end, it is a matter of personal choice, and you will get lots of ideas, but buy what YOU will be happy with, as you are the one who will have to live with it... Happy Hunting!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
7magshooter
New User
I forgot to mention I live in the south where snow is a rare thing and when it happens, usually everything shuts down anyway!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I live in northern OH (plenty of snow) never had too much trouble with my two wheel drive trucks. Both my trucks I drive on the road are 2wd. I have 4x4 trucks, but I use em for mud running.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
toypuller
Senior User
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

If you are going to sell or trade in a truck 4WD will make it sell faster and for more money. { all other things equal } Often the difference comes close to cancelling out the initial extra investment.

2WD gets better milage. Not a huge difference but it adds up at $3.00 a gallon. 4WD also has extra parts and maintaince that a 2WD does not.

I also live below the snow belt. I would say that getting home when it does snow is worth the extra price. When everything is slipping and sliding I want the 4WD more.

I have 4WD because I run across of slimy or oily boat ramps and at the flip of a switch I am good to go. Don't ever really have to think about it. Limited slip is good, 4WD is better.

4WD gets you the sticker on your truck. Isn't that worth $3000.00?

But, in the end this is America and you can get whatever makes you happy. {at least for now}

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The last blizzard in CO finally pushed me over the edge to buying the 4x4. The fact that I've wanted one (but didn't want to pay for it) for 20 years made the decision that much easier.

The limited slip in my Ranger has taken me a lot of places it wouldn't have gone without it, but it couldn't begin to hack the wet slop the spring blizzard laid down.

I have also had the Ranger on a forest road with a small mudhole that was perfectly aligned with a small ledge such that the rear axle was right in the mud when the front wheels were trying to get over the ledge. It would have been nothing with 4wd or no mudhole to begin with, it but required bashing the front wheels through the mud and up the ledge to get out.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
The only reason I have a 4X4 is because I live in the mountains where it snows and I have a steep driveway out in the country. When I lived in level country with less snow, I always had a 4X2. Besides the higher initial cost, repairs and service is more and tires don't wear as well. 4X2s also ride and drive better.

Anyway, when the roads get bad, most of the vehicles you see in ditches are 4X4. People want to "try out" their 4X4 and end up in ditches whereas the people with 4X2 stay off the roads.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM
g-funk
New User
as stated above get what ever makes you happy,i chose an already sharp 06 scab w/the 5.4 l . then i put in my leftover 6k audio system,roush grill,westin bullbar,bedlocker t. cover,x liner,airaid cai.superchip etc... all to haul my lawn equipment plus daily drive. and i'm as happy today as when bought it or installed all the extras

Old 08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
dartguy699
Senior User
i have a 4x2 lariat and dont need anything else.i dont drive offroad but do pull a boat. i can truthfully say i have never needed 4x4 . i have had several explorers with 4 wheel/all wheel drive and cant see it as necessary. i dont live in snow country and am sure i would feel differently if i did.
jim

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
BillC
Elder User

I have a 4x4, didn't need it, just wanted it.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

It really depends where you live, and what you use the truck for. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow, and with 4X4 it is no problem getting to work or home from work. The peace of mind 4X4 gives you knowing that if you have to go you can is more than worth the extra $ the 4X4 costs in my opinion............................

Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
DoughboyRacing
Junior User
I've always had 4WD, but I'm a land surveyor & in that line of work it's better to have it than not. Sometimes I can not use it for months, but when I do need it, I'm glad to have it. Not that I go looking for places to use it, I just never know.

If not for that reason, I'd probably own an '03-'04 Mustang Cobra.
Or a Lightning.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
XLTeaser
Junior User
I originally went for a 4x2 but after driving a 4x4, I was sold. Not only did I prefer the looks and ride height but it also comes in handy while driving on the beach here in Coastal Texas.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Xyzzy
Senior User
2WD (Not 1WD!) works for me because I live in the south and very rarely go off road, other than a dirt road or a farm.

I made sure I got a LS diff though.

In my gallery you can see what a 2" shackle drop does to make the 2WD look better. I did a write up of it around here somewhere.

Oh yeah. The 2WD is a lot less complex (easier to work on) and a lot less expensive.

All IMO, YMMV.

Edit: I can reach into the bed, too...

Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many opinions on this and factors like resale and all that if you dont get snow often thats a plus 2wd supposbly get better mpg by how much i dont know i think the ratings are the same i dont know i dont think the newer 4x4s dont ride that much different that 2wd

but like the 92-96 like my truck there is a major difference in ride good luck

Quick Reply: 2wd vs. 4wd....