Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
New User

MoneyMaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
57 Ranchero Questions---Please Help a Newby

Ok here is the story...
I found a 57 ranchero sitting in the weeds on an old farmer’s property. I am a little interested in it but don't know anything about Ranchero's. This one has duel headlights so from a google search I thought it must be either a 58 or 59. With only that information I asked the old farmer what he planed to do with the car and he asked be if I wanted to buy it. He told me that it has been parked there since the 60's and that it had been wrecked and he had a 58 front end put on it. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said "what'll you give?" I offered a very low amount and he said OK. I told him I wanted to go back and look the car over one more time before I commit. That happened yesterday and I need to get back to him early this week but I know nothing, and I mean NOTHING about early fords. Hence my posting, I need some insight on this car.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM
New User

My main questions are how do I determine what engine is in it? It may not be the original. What are the most desirable engines?

What were the options for the transmission?

Any problem areas I should look out for?

Any other rare options I should look for?

What is a complete (W/ wrong front clip), non running project worth.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
New User

I have a strong automotive background and have built several vehicles so I am confident I can assess the engine and electrical, if it has an auto tranny then I'll need to look to outside help but will assume that a complete rebuild is in order. My plan is to get this vehicle running and rolling under it's own power. At that point I will determine how much further I want to go with it. From my research a perfect car can be priced in the high $20k's and on the average a very nice restored car is about $15k. Does that sound about right?

I plan on going out to the car tomorrow after work and I'll report what I find. Also I'll try to post some links to some pics of it, after I take them.

If I'm forgetting anything please feel free to ask; and thanks in advance for the help.

I guess my post was too long; I kept getting errors so I cut it in to pices.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:17 AM
New User

charlie12345 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try here: http://www.ranchero.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Charlie
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.
The original engines & transmissions are either, a 223 I-6, 292 or 312 Y-block w/ either a Single or Dual Range Ford-O-Matic or a Cruise-O-Matic.
The '58 front-end will have the same front-end that Custom 300's & 500's had, which is a big open grille w/ a bar that runs the length of it w/ one that is centered & conects to the bottom of the grille.
The hood will also open away from the Windscreen, same as a suidside door opens reverse from a normal opening car door.
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel 223 I-6 w/ M-O-M
Black 1893 Henry Ford Quadra-Cycle (replica)
My Replies Are Not Meant In An Offensive Way.... Ever, They Are Merely.... Straight Answers or Comments
Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
New User

Charlie, Thanks for that link, tones of info there.

Col. Flashman, How do I determine if it is the 292 or the 312? Is there an engine decoding guide out there somewhere? And what is a "Y-Block"?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.
Here are 3 links that should help answer your questions.

The Y-block is just that, as it is shaped like a Y because the area where the crank resides sticks down farther than what was to become standard configuration for Small Block Ford v-8's.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...sue03-a2-1.php

http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

http://www.ford-y-block.com/assemblyerrors.htm
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel 223 I-6 w/ M-O-M
Black 1893 Henry Ford Quadra-Cycle (replica)
My Replies Are Not Meant In An Offensive Way.... Ever, They Are Merely.... Straight Answers or Comments

Last edited by Col Flashman; 08-20-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM