Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear air deflector

Old 08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Dads79
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear air deflector

I have owned my 00 Ex since 01 and have never seen another with the rear air deflector . Even in other states I have visited. I look at every other EX I pass on the road. Is this a rare option ? Mine also is a Limited with the front bench how rare is this ? How many Excursions where ever made ?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Rear air deflectors were/are an aftermarket accessory. Most claim they don't do much and simply remove them later.

Limited with a front bench is extremely rare...in fact...it was never made to my knowledge. Your seats say "Limited" on the headrest area?

I don't know the exact number produced but a round about sales figure is posted somewhere here.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it really a bench or is it the 40/20/40?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Still yet...never seen a Limited 40/20/40. A Lariat yeah...more-n-likely the PO swapped out the seats.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Dads79
More Turbo
The air deflector on mine is a Ford part. Sorry about the seat, it is a 40/20/40 with "Limited " in headrest.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dads79
The air deflector on mine is a Ford part. Sorry about the seat, it is a 40/20/40 with "Limited " in headrest.
I got my mineral grey rear air deflector from Ford and installed it. It matched the X paint perfectly but was a PITA to install. I don't have the roof rack cross pieces so I assume the deflector is providing some benefit to prevent drag since the top of my X is relatively smooth.

DSMMH

Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Dads79, no kidding!? Got a pic?

The air deflector was designed to flow air across the back window to help prevent the buildup of dust and dirt on the rear of the truck. I has nothing to do with preventing drag. And I'm sorry, in my first post I shouldn't have added the word "aftermarket". The deflector has always been in the Ford accessory catalog.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Now for a little physics

Originally Posted by Monsta
Dads79, no kidding!? Got a pic?

The air deflector was designed to flow air across the back window to help prevent the buildup of dust and dirt on the rear of the truck. I has nothing to do with preventing drag. And I'm sorry, in my first post I shouldn't have added the word "aftermarket". The deflector has always been in the Ford accessory catalog.
Monsta.......not sure if you are just pulling my chain but just in case you are not, the rear deflector has evrything to do with reducing aerodynamic drag and nothing to do with removing dirt or dust from the rear window or bumper. All flat back vehicles, like the X, create a low pressure area behind them as they are driven. This low pressure area increases areodynamic drag. The air deflector directs air down across the rear of the vehicle to break up this low pressure area to reduce aerodynamic drag. This is an air deflector not a rear deck spoiler. A rear deck spoiler produces down force on the rear of a vehicle for, primarily, better traction.

DSMMH

Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I surely don't want to get into an argument over this, but in the accessory book from Ford it expressly says..."Help keep the rear glass clean and enhance your vehicle’s appearance."

I frankly cannot see how it would help with aerodynamics....it would seem to me that you would need to be driving at 100MPH to see any help from a wing or deflector.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
I surely don't want to get into an argument over this, but in the accessory book from Ford it expressly says..."Help keep the rear glass clean and enhance your vehicle’s appearance."

I frankly cannot see how it would help with aerodynamics....it would seem to me that you would need to be driving at 100MPH to see any help from a wing or deflector.
I have no intention of arguing or offending. Just stating the facts of physics. I am attempting to point out the air deflector aero drag reduction characteristics. If Ford wants to advertise it as a dirt/dust/rain remover, that is fine although, IMHO, it is misleading. I bought mine for it's aero drag reduction feature, not for dust or rain removal. I live on a 1 mile gravel road and if you are buying it to remove dirt or dust from your rear window, save your money. I live with dust on the back of my X and when I get on the highway running at any speed, I don't see the deflector blowing the dust away. In fact, the only thing that gets rid of dirt/dust/rain/frost on my X is the rear window wiper/washer.

Google "vehicle areo drag" or try this website

http://www.solusinc.com/transport.html

It will help to explain what I am talking about.

OBTW - reduced drag = better fuel mileage. That is one reason why my ZO6 Vette gets 28 to 30 MPG on the highway @ 60 to 80 MPH. It has a very low drag coefficient.

If you Google "vehicle drag coefficients" you will probably find a chart that compares various vehicles drag coefficients. I just have not looked.

DSMMH

Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I had a color-matched Ford rear air deflector on my old '01. I won't bother with another one on my '05. Why? It didn't do squat to help keep the rear glass clear. When raining, even light rain, it would deflect a lot of mist ONTO the rear glass. And if you have a long load you want to carry up on your factory crossbars? Forget it because the deflector gets in the way. I've deduced that its only useful purpose was to provide shade for the CHMSL.

EDIT TO ADD: If that rear deflector reduced drag, I sure didn't see its results at the pump, and I kept records of every drop of fuel poured into that tank for 40K+ miles.

Last edited by cficare; 08-21-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:32 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The rear air deflector may indeed reduce drag, cool beer, feed the dog and wax the vehicle on occasion....
but the original intent when developed and marketed was to help keep the rear window clean.

OK, so I exaggerated. It won't feed the dog.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
UNCLE

DSMMH

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Tough crowd, huh?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:13 PM