N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Fuel Filter Warning????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Warning????

I have a '97 P/S Auto with 80K on the clock. I'm currently on a trip in Colorado pulling a 23' 5th wheel travel trailer. Altho at present I don't think that I have a problem but I am wondering if there are are warning signs when a fuel filter starts to become clogged?

My concern is as I was decending a steep grade this AM, I was in 2nd gear and was using my Exhaust brake. i had to slow for a construction flagger. I was down to approx. 20 MPH, I was given the go ahead and as I stepped on the gas I realized that the engine had died. It immediatle re-started and has not reoccurred again.

I just don't understand why it wold just shut off like that.

Any input will be appreciated
Roger

Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
What engine is in your rig? I'm assuming it is diesel because of your mention of the exhaust brake. There are specific forums here for Ford diesels that can give you precise answers and we would be glad to direct you to the right group of folks.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
What engine is in your rig? I'm assuming it is diesel because of your mention of the exhaust brake. There are specific forums here for Ford diesels that can give you precise answers and we would be glad to direct you to the right group of folks.
OOps!
Thanks for the reply, I thought that I was on the diesel site,
Roger

Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I doubt it'd be the fuel filter, when they clog you lose power on acceleration, not decell.

If it were a Big Cam Cummins, I'd comment further, but I have no clue on how the PS's are put together.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a common mistake people make. It's because of all the clattering noises, exhaust smoke, and the oily smells. Jag