legal pulling over 10,000# ?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:35 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
legal pulling over 10,000# ?

Does any one know if I can pull a trailer that is over 10,000# with a pick up that is under 10,000. I have heard that you cant even if you are NOT over weight on you axle weight

Old 08-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Leader
Elder User
If both are properly registered.... Yes you can.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:26 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Technically if you tow more than 10k you are required to have a CDL class A; but if you are doing it for your own use you generally don't have a problem. If you are towing commercially you are definately considered commercial and therefore responcible to the DOT.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM
wmiller
Elder User
I pull a trailer for farm use hualing our product. I have heard anything from I am exemt and dont need a special licence, I need non-commercial A restricted, commercial A restricted, and Commercial/non full A. I have gone to MVA many times and have not got the same reply twice.
A neighbor told me that if you pull a pickup and gooseneck you need a full A but if you are running a 10 wheeler with a drop deck you only need A restricted
Im very confused with what I can and cant do no one seems know either. I plan on getting my full A when I turn 21 but that is 3 years away

Old 08-17-2007, 05:48 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
You must have some awful state rules. In most cases you should be fine a normal class C drivers license is up to 26K GCVW, that leaves a good 18K lbs between the trailer and load weight with the new SD's. Every state could have their own rules that are stricter than that. Also just because the license limit is 26K, if your truck and trailer are rated for less and you are loaded heavier, with the exception of ag, you could get a ticket and be forced to unhook the load. Of course commercial towing is all different and much stricter.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM
wmiller
Elder User
My understanding was you could drive a truck with a GVWR of <26,001# and a trailer up to 10,000# once you go over that you needed an A or B class but asking the idiots at MVA some tell that is true and others say your combo must be under 26000 and others say it does matter what it weighs because you are pulling it with a pick up. There is too much grey area

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, the 26k rule exists, but the 10k towing rule trumps the 26k combined rule. The tricky part is who is exempt, and who is not... that's where all the confusion is. Generally if its for commercial use you need it, and if its for private use you do not need it.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:31 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about your state, but.....here in Nevada, If your over 10,000 (Trailer). You have to have an Amendement J added to your license. I have never hear of that being enforced but its the law.. Good luck..!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Yeah, it's pretty confusing ere in NC also. I think the general rule is if you are pulling a "recreational" trailer, then you're OK. If you are pulling a trailer, even if it's not for $, that contains dirt, mulch, Bob Cat... then you must be licensed accordingly.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
In IL you need a class A license to pull any trailer over 10k except a trailer with RV plates. I do believe that there are examptions to these laws in the case of farm work, but you have to be an immediate family member of the owner of the farm (father/mother/daughter/son/brother/sister). In any case though I think you have to be over 21 in order to haul a trailer that heavy. Like I said though, this is IL law, your laws may vary.

Edit\
OK I just went and found your state's CDL manual. It appears that you only have to be 18 to get a CDL in Maryland, but you can only drive in your state. It also appears that like in IL you have to have a class A to haul any trailer over 10k except an RV. They do have an exemption for Farmers. Farmers have to get a class A license, but not a commercial endorsement.

So it looks like you have to go to your local DMV and tell them you want a non-commercial Class A license.

Here is a link to the CDL manual.
http://www.marylandmva.com/Resources/DL-151.pdf

Last edited by Beerstalker; 08-18-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Randy777
Tuned
I live in Nevada and even DMV seems confused over what you can tow..I got a "j" endorsement for towing over 10,000 pounnds (max gross is 26,000) and an "R" endorsement for towing a combination up to 70 feet as I tow a quad trailer behind my fifth wheel. But I wasn't charged for the two endorsements I only had to take a test.
A friend told me you couldn't tow a triple through Arizona on my way to Utah and I almost canceled a two week trip. Luckly for me I decided to check on line with Arizona DMV and he was wrong. The trip went great althrough I got a lot of looks towing that 64 feet rig. Several police I saw never gave me a second look. Check with DMV for each state don't just go by what people tell you.
Randy

Old 08-18-2007, 10:08 PM
mackman
Senior User
In Fl. class d required just for pick up over 8,000lbs,I have a CDL class a so don't worrie about my 5iver and it is 15,000lbs,never weighed pick up but don't think it is more then 7,900lbs

Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmiller
I pull a trailer for farm use hualing our product.
page 14/96 says youre exempt. might wanna print it out and keep a copy with you.

http://www.marylandmva.com/Resources/trucker.pdf

Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Here in Michigan we have to have a "F" endorsement on our license if the vehicle is over 26K total weight capacity. Even if it is our own product and not for hire.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jake00
page 14/96 says youre exempt. might wanna print it out and keep a copy with you.

http://www.marylandmva.com/Resources/trucker.pdf
You're right, it says he's exempt from getting a CDL, but he still has to get a Class A license like I mentioned before. Here is a direct cut and paste from the CDL manual for Maryland. Notice the part in bold.

You are not required to have a CDL to drive a vehicle that has been granted a waiver. You must however, have a Maryland non-commercial driver's license of the appropriate class to operate a vehicle which has been waived.

The following vehicles have been waived from CDL requirements in Maryland and thus considered non-commercial for the purposes of CDL:
a. A vehicle controlled and operated by a farmer:

<DIR><DIR>•
used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm;

not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and

• used within 150 miles of the person's farm.

</DIR></DIR>

Last edited by Beerstalker; 08-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: legal pulling over 10,000# ?