Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
rboeding
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Job

I droped off my truck last Thursday for a paint job. It is a 77 so it needs a little work. The place is L A automotive on Transport in Memphis by the airport. They are painting it metalic fire engine red with the dent painted black and doing alot of body work. I provided new grill, mirrors, tailgate, l door, bumpers, rear window and weatherstriping. I should get it back next week sometime. They are not going to do a show truck job but I hope they are going to do a job that looks good at 3 feet. Very laid back group of south of Texas type of people with one local running the shop. They should cover the metal for at least a few more years. Maybe I will be suprised

Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Make sure to post pics when you get it back.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
B-61 Bulldog
Senior User
Sounds like it down around barloworld Freightliner & Vescovo's snack shack & off Brooks road .

later

Bulldog

Old 08-18-2007, 05:33 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Last time i was on brooks rd., I had no less than 5 lot lizards (hookers) approach my truck. I don't go down there after dark. lol

Old 08-18-2007, 08:44 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I want to see the old truck when you get it back. I bet it looks great.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
rboeding
Senior User
I can't wait to see it either. They keep teling me that maybe tommorow but I think that it will take at least 2 1/2 weeks. I will call you Lariat when I get it back.

The place is right across the streen from the Ford big truck dealer on Transport and just in front of the UPS hub on Carrier. It is right next to one of my customers and they have had several of their bucket trucks painted there and liked the jobs but what is good for a bucket truck might not be good for me.

Haven't seen any pros there - little too industrial I think.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
B-61 Bulldog
Senior User
oh ok its there on off of Millbranch @ Brooks rd right @ MHC Ford & MHC KW on Carrier close to where the Case dealer used to be

ya i go to brooks road for parts @ the truck ,heavy equipment & Cummins dealers & for tire supplies (myers) behind General truck once its dark ya wont find me down there til daylight

The lot lizards have approched me down @ I.H. Dealer before & i basically tell them go screw (other word used) themselfs

later

bulldog

Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I work at Smith & Nephew on Brooks a I55. I think the lizards are being thined out. I know the T...bars are closing about as fast as they open. But I do lock my doors when I get off I240 and Millbranch!

I want to see the truck as well. This place would be great for me to drop off some parts as I can get to them when I get to the painting stage.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 PM
rboeding
Senior User
They have the bed off, the glass out and the interior pulled. They say they will paint it tommorow and get everthing back together on Wednesday. I hope I really get it back by the weekend - they arn't very quick but they seem to be doing a good job from what I can tell. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
rboeding
Senior User
Saw the truck today before it went into the paint booth. They took everthing off of the truck to paint it. I think these guys are earning their money. The whole truck was primer inside and out and I hope they remember where everthing goes back. I would tell them to leave the interior in the bed but I have to drive the thing home so I can put the new interior in it. I am really getting antsy to get the truck home but I am trying not to bother them till they tell me to come get it.

If it looks good I am ready for a GTG in about 4 more weeks.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 PM
rboeding
Senior User
I have a customer right next to the body shop and I was there today. When I left I saw the truck out of the paint booth - at least the cab and frame. I don't want to hover over them but I want to know what is going on. I walked over to see the truck. The owner was showing the truck to another customer when I got there. I saw the painted cab on the frame and it is really RED. The metalflage is gold and it really almost hurts your eyes. The painter told me that he thought it would look better with a black metal flake stripe instead of just black so I said yes. I wish I had my camera because the truck looks great - still a few waves in it but I am very happy so far. They are going to try to get it to me on Friday midday but maybe not till Monday. I can't wait.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Let me know when you get it home. I want to come over & see it.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM
rboeding
Senior User
I Will... if I get on Friday really thinking Monday

Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 AM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Just let me know when you get it home. I can show off my new truck to you too.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
rboeding
Senior User
They say it will be ready at 10:00 on Friday. My wife is going to take me to get it. They want $300 more than the original quote but I think that will go away. They have painted the truck fire engine red with gold metalflake and a black metalflake in the dent down the side. They painted the truck inside and out even the floorboard that I had just replaced and painted. They replaced - I provided - all the gaskets, new bumpers, grill, grill inserts, rear window, chrome badges, door handles, tailgate, tailgate handle, door handle, pass door, mirrors, bed bolts, marker lights, head lights and tail lights. They provided a new windshield and all for under 2k. They already said that everyone that stops by the shop wants to look at the truck. I have a new interior wainting incliding 40 SQ ft of Dynamat xtream at home to match but I am going out of town this weekend so maybe next week I will have it installed.

I think it is almost time for a local GTG I already told my wife that we are going to Sonic on the next Tuesday that I find out all the nice cars go.

Quick Reply: Paint Job