Sponsored by:

Pickuptruck.com shootout

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Montanan SD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pickuptruck.com shootout

I haven't been around in a while I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and what they thought about it. Personally, I am a Ford man through and through but this test along with the latest results from the consumer reports heavy duty truck test are a little discouraging. At least they say we have the best gas engine.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007...otout1mpg.html

Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Honestly, I think pulling up hill if it was longer then the 1/8th mile up hill the Ford would of taken the Chevy. in final drive the ford was pulling harder and faster then the cheby.

Other then that it was really close especially knowing that the for was 1k heavier then the other trucks.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by driximus
Honestly, I think pulling up hill if it was longer then the 1/8th mile up hill the Ford would of taken the Chevy. in final drive the ford was pulling harder and faster then the cheby.

Other then that it was really close especially knowing that the for was 1k heavier then the other trucks.
Agreed, or the chevy would have overheated. What good is the power if the truck overheats. Have you heard the new LMM motor when the fan kicks on. WOW sounds like 747 TAKING OFF.

I'll take my 6.4 PSD over a LMM duracrap any day.The ford is a far better truck throughout and the quality goes far beyond the drivetrain.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I have read 4 different comparisons from the latest big 3 diesel trucks. Once again Ford has blown it with that pathetic over hyped exxagerrated twin turbo pretty boy boulevard cruiser pickup! Nearly every article I read said the Ford is pretty and is finished off nice, so what!!! When are you Ford guys gonna stop settling for mediocre average powertrains from that company!! I am a Ford guy but you all brag about your trucks, ya all oughta stop buying new Fords and send em a message, get your powertrain probs together! I will keep driving my 6.0 but that's the last Ford Truck I will ever buy again until they say bye bye to Navstar!! Don't get me wrong we all have the freedom to do whatever we want, but hey this just my .02 cents worth...Nuff said!

Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Well your wish will be granted soon

Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
GixRider
Freshman User
Scottman,

To me, a well rounded package is worth more than a rattle trap truck with a great engine. Also I doubt every diesel truck sold is used for its intended purpose. Ford has realized this and made a truck that can make the majority happy. Maybe it will drive away the buyers who use them as heavy haulers but in the end its about money and sales. So what the ford is a 1 second down on some test. Last time I checked, hauling up steep grades is not about who can get there fastest.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
After driving around this past several weeks in my 6.0 & LMM, trust me my GM is so far from a rattle trap (be a little bit more constructive with your criticisms on the other brands??) you have no clue. I 1st thought my 04 Ex was more comfortable when I first bought my LMM, after driving around in both, trust me the LMM rides better, drives better, handles better, stops better, doesn't pull to the left or the right etc.....The LMM truck whether you like it's looks or not is one hell of a truck and I know first hand why it has won all of the truck shoot outs......Like I said before I will still be driving my 6.0 around until it dies, but when Ford steps it up in the powertrain area I will own a new Ford Super Duty! Hopefully that will be soon and then I can trade the Ex for a new F-series and I can own 2 new trucks!!

Well I gotta go and get into my "rattle trap" and take a ride or something. LOL

Old 08-18-2007, 02:21 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottman70
After driving around this past several weeks in my 6.0 & LMM, trust me my GM is so far from a rattle trap (be a little bit more constructive with your criticisms on the other brands??) you have no clue. I 1st thought my 04 Ex was more comfortable when I first bought my LMM, after driving around in both, trust me the LMM rides better, drives better, handles better, stops better, doesn't pull to the left or the right etc.....The LMM truck whether you like it's looks or not is one hell of a truck and I know first hand why it has won all of the truck shoot outs......Like I said before I will still be driving my 6.0 around until it dies, but when Ford steps it up in the powertrain area I will own a new Ford Super Duty! Hopefully that will be soon and then I can trade the Ex for a new F-series and I can own 2 new trucks!!

Well I gotta go and get into my "rattle trap" and take a ride or something. LOL
Having owned more than my fair share of both brands (Dodge excluded cuz a turd wrapped around a good motor is not a truck), the overall Ford package is superior to the GM product. Any part of the body (interior or exterior) has held up better, the ride since 06' on is as good and it got better in 08'. By drivetrain I assume you are referring to the motor and not the transmission since the Torqshift is a great tranny. The Duramax is a good motor, I like it a lot and it may be a little faster. But I sure as heck don't buy these trucks to beat some idiot out of a stoplight. And all of my Fords have pulled better than the GM's.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
[QUOTE=Montanan SD]I haven't been around in a while I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and what they thought about it. Personally, I am a Ford man through and through but this test along with the latest results from the consumer reports heavy duty truck test are a little discouraging. At least they say we have the best gas engine.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1mpg.html[/QUOTE]
10K lbs up a short hill big deal. These aren't 1/2 ton trucks so lets treat them as such. Lets hook 24K lbs onto them, OOPs GM does not have a pickup that can handle that. Well lets try 20K lbs, nope GM can't handle that one either. How about 18K lbs, nope they can't handle that one either but were getting warm.
How about hooking up at least 16K lbs behind all three MFG and hit a series of 7-8% grades for lets say 200 miles and see which one gets to the end. I bet the GM's tires will have melted as well as its brakes on fire.
This would be the real test.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:41 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Agreed, or the chevy would have overheated. What good is the power if the truck overheats. Have you heard the new LMM motor when the fan kicks on. WOW sounds like 747 TAKING OFF.

I'll take my 6.4 PSD over a LMM duracrap any day.The ford is a far better truck throughout and the quality goes far beyond the drivetrain.
I guess to answer your question I haven't heard the fan.

Also there have been no LMM overheating issues. From what I've heard the Fords overheat. in fact I saw a post on this very site where 1 was on the side of the road on fire. So I guess I should go back to my GM boards and post that. Please...... Keep to the facts.

In your mind us poor lil chuby guys trucks overheat at .00001 grade and we have to pullover and wait for our buddys in their big Ford trucks to come rescue us.

I've pulled grade several times through Britsh Columbia, to and from Alaska, more then once for 20 miles+ over 10k with no issues in my lb7. Never had any suspension issues in regards to frost heaves either. If you've you've pulled through BC you'd know what I'm talking about.

Not saying the 6.4 is a bad motor but don't try and justify your purchase by bashing others. Fact is since the 7.3 the diesel market has been Fords to lose.

Last edited by DMAX-HD; 08-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=1968gtcs]
Originally Posted by Montanan SD
I haven't been around in a while I was wondering if anyone else had seen this and what they thought about it. Personally, I am a Ford man through and through but this test along with the latest results from the consumer reports heavy duty truck test are a little discouraging. At least they say we have the best gas engine.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1mpg.html[/QUOTE]
10K lbs up a short hill big deal. These aren't 1/2 ton trucks so lets treat them as such. Lets hook 24K lbs onto them, OOPs GM does not have a pickup that can handle that. Well lets try 20K lbs, nope GM can't handle that one either. How about 18K lbs, nope they can't handle that one either but were getting warm.
How about hooking up at least 16K lbs behind all three MFG and hit a series of 7-8% grades for lets say 200 miles and see which one gets to the end. I bet the GM's tires will have melted as well as its brakes on fire.
This would be the real test.

Come on! Your not even in reality!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Talking

I've pulled grade several times through Britsh Columbia, to and from Alaska, more then once for 20 miles+ over 10k with no issues in my lb7. Never had any suspension issues in regards to frost heaves either. If you've you've pulled through BC you'd know what I'm talking about.

QUOTE]

I guess i would'nt since i actual tow in areas the temps are over 90 degrees, by the way was it winter when you made your impressive pull. I have pulled 18,000 lbs up a 19 mile 6% grade with an outside temp of 118 degrees out of laughlin nevada with no problems.

FYI i will still pull over and help you chubby guys, after all its not your fault, you just went by what the magazine said the truck would do.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
It's All A Conspiracy!! :-x16

Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Don't get caught up too much in what these magazine writers think. Most of these magazines test these trucks like they do cars. It's always about how fast a truck can do something, or how it drives like a luxury car.

*Chevy wins off the line because it reaches it max torque at 1600 rpm. (correct me if I'm wrong)
*Ford would win up the long grade because their max torque is at 2000 rpm, which it at cruising speed in top gear, GM would be downshifting.

Honestly if you are never going to tow anything big, want to race people from red lights, and want a slightly smoother ride, go ahead buy GM.

If you need a real work truck with capabilities above any other, a stronger front suspension system, and a high quality interior with a grocery list of options, get a Ford.

We're all hard-headed about what we like, and hell will most likely freeze over before we change our minds. All the trucks have their high points and their low points, it's all personal preference.

Last edited by SouthTexasDiesel; 08-18-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
[QUOTE=DMAX-HD]
Originally Posted by 1968gtcs

Come on! Your not even in reality!
I'm not? Which part of the statment?
BTW All I have ever owned and will own is Ford PS. None have ever overheated. And I have worked them very hard.

Quick Reply: Pickuptruck.com shootout