6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

More problems-missfires-EGR-Codes-on trip-HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More problems-missfires-EGR-Codes-on trip-HELP!!

Well, took the trip driving about 1500 miles. I got what i expected...check engine lights and other problems....f-250 2003 6.0L 123K stock

Missfire...
truck was driving up a grade nothing towing when all the sudden it had a miss...the engine would hesitate almost rythmically every 5 seconds or so like it had sparkplugs and was missing (kinda like a bad rotor sorta miss). It did it for about 2 minutes then just stopped...

Codes...
Bought a code reader in Page, AZ cause I didnt want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without knowing what code it was sending...(so when it breaks down next time I dont spend 2400 bucks at ford on a egr and cooler then find out on here i can just blank that all off!)

p0404
Exh gas Recirc Circuit range performance calc load 0.0% Eng coolant temp 219 deg f int man press 28.9 in hg eng rpm 1205 speed 52mphintake air temp 100 deg f mass air flow sensor 4.50lb/min (just had ford do the egr so wondering...)

p132?
it asks me to select vehichle..."ford diesel" then says no info available ...visit www.canobd2.com The reader is a innova 3130. Called them they said it shouldnt give a ? mark...it shows ford diesel and read the p0404 so what gives? The download code library for the thing shows p132_ with checking all the things possible for the last digit... 1-8 you would assume is cyl's 1-8 but not in the list it shows cyl's 9-12 low side short or low side open...perhaps ford diesel is big trucks and I should select ford? Then it shows the last digit for p132_ as a-f talking about turbocharger/supercharger boost control A (or B) electrical, performance, or voltage, depending on the number it has a-f on the last digit..but I have a ? mark.

Note: I added lucas injector cleaner which is good for diesel...and some diesel kleen....so wondering if perhaps it is junk coming off of the injector? The code reader you have to hold in to get it to link....that was true for my 1999 v10..until i busted off the back of the clips so it would go all the way in...So wonderingif the connector needs to be filed down to seat all the way..but I get the code so for some reason it wont tell me the last digit...

I did get 17.5-19.8 mpg 3 tanks and different speeds gave me different MPG's...from avg's of 65mph..to avgs of 75 mph...

Thanks for any help on the codes, the ford repair and the egr code, and that miss...Sometimes I wonder if maybe this thing just throws codes for the slightest thing...I mean is it suppose to just constantly give you check engine lights.? GZZZZZZZZ

Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Cool

I called ford....they cant help since the shop that I took it to on the highway cleared the codes....I wanted to know what the codes were but they arnt helping....I sp[ent 2400 bucks and they cant answer a p0404 p132? question! Cummon

Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
what exactly did you spend 2400 dollars on to fix the problem ?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The p132b is a problem with your turbo.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Ok...I paid ford 2400 bucks to replace the egr and egr cooler only to find out later I could have blanked it off...Since then I got that p0404 which said egr values??? and the p132? which was ????? you mentioned a "b" but it never gave me the last digit....so not sure what it is?

Anyway..so after ford worked on the egr I got the egr code...and then this p132? so i have no idea what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a turbo can bring on egr codes, and an egr valve can bring on turbo codes. The p132b is a code essentially showing that the relearn on the turbo isn't working (remember, thats a simplified explanation). The vanes are probably binding or partially stuck.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
In the oasis...long ago it had the turbo cleaned as the veins were sticking. When they replaced the egr wouldnt they have seen the veins as they tore the whole thing apart? Is there any way for me to clean them myself?

Last edited by oddjobs2do; 08-17-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Yes, you can clean them yourself if you are a little bit mechanically inclined. I think there is a procedure or a link in the 6.0 tech folder at the start of this forum. If not you can go to www.forddoctorsdts.com and they have the cleaning procedure detailed there.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Found the article on your link....It mentions relearning. I wonder if some of my problems are related to codes being cleared and then this VGT relearn..or perhaps something like that? Not sure what the below quote means..or how to do this relearn....

"All trucks with 2003 engines that have had Recall 06E17 will need to have the VGT Learn procedure performed or driveability concerns will result."

Also, is there a way to test the turbo without tearing it apart to look? I hear it winding up and down....there is a delay in power upon applying the gas peddle unless I floor it...then it kicks in. I have heard this is normal unless I do some modifications, but perhaps it relates to sticking. I saw a technician test proceedure but not sure if there is a lay way...

Thanks for any info on troubleshooting these turbo and how they should perform.

Last edited by oddjobs2do; 08-17-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjobs2do
"All trucks with 2003 engines that have had Recall 06E17 will need to have the VGT Learn procedure performed or driveability concerns will result."
KAM (keep-alive-memory) reset & VGT learn procedure

1. Drive the truck until the engine and transmission have reached normal operating temperature.
(The VGT learn procedure requires that the oil and coolant temperatures be at normal operating temperature)

2. Flash truck back to stock (Only need to do this if running a tuner or module)

3. Turn on the headlights

4. Disconnect both batteries

5. Short out + to - battery cables to each other (Make sure both batteries are disconnected before doing this).

6. Let truck sit like this for 10-minutes

7. Turn off the headlights.

8. Re-connect batteries

9. Cycle the key to the run position twice. Pause in the “ON” position each time until the wait to start lamp goes out (minimum 5-seconds) and pause in the “OFF” position each time for 10-seconds to be sure the PCM has "gone to sleep".

10. Start the truck and let it idle for a minimum of 5-minutes at normal operating temperature. This allows the PCM to learn the EGR valve closed position value. Also you will likely hear the turbo pitch change several times during this period as the PCM learns the necessary duty cycles for accurate VGT control.

11. Complete the road test Drive Cycle:20 miles of mixed driving (*should* be enough in most cases) to allow the PCM to "re-learn" its adaptive strategy.

Note: Anytime the batteries are disconnected, the PCM will throw the P1000 code until the “Drive Cycle” is completed.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:56 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
Ok Blackhat620......got it (hopefully)....So when do you need to do the relearn proceedure (what cercumstances)? Curious what situations require this? Would cleaning a turbo require it? I had the egr valve and cooler replaced not sure if dealer did this or needed to....also I have cleared codes...do you need to do the relearn when clearing codes? Just want to clerify the situations one needs to do the relearn..

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Doug

Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjobs2do
Ok Blackhat620......got it (hopefully)....So when do you need to do the relearn proceedure (what cercumstances)? Curious what situations require this? Would cleaning a turbo require it? I had the egr valve and cooler replaced not sure if dealer did this or needed to....also I have cleared codes...do you need to do the relearn when clearing codes? Just want to clerify the situations one needs to do the relearn..
THANKS!!!!!!!!!Doug
Initially the re-learn procecure should have been done by the dealer when they did the 06E17 recall. You need to perform the re-learn procedure any time the KAM memory is cleared or re-flashed.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM
oddjobs2do
Senior User
And to sum it up...KAM memory...is that basically what the innova code reader does when I clear codes...is that KAM memory? Not sure what a "flash" means also...assume it is a reprogramming of computer by the dealer for service issues they found with the trucks?

Thxs

Old 11-25-2007, 04:13 PM
cgrayson9
New User
can we undo the 06E17 recall?? I am getting a p132b code and can't keep it cleared.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:35 PM
doubledee715
Elder User
Originally Posted by cgrayson9
can we undo the 06E17 recall?? I am getting a p132b code and can't keep it cleared.
no. im gonna guess you have an aftermarket intake though. 132b could be so many things. here is a pdf with some info on the recall and the code. http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/...atsnew/DTL.pdf

Quick Reply: More problems-missfires-EGR-Codes-on trip-HELP!!