1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side cubby pocket (mini-glove box) missing in XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Drivers side cubby pocket (mini-glove box) missing in XLT

Hi all, I just bought a 05 XLT and I noticed that it doesnt have the little cubby pocket that is underneath where the Tow Command and upfitter switches are.

It sort of looks like a mini-glovebox for the driver. I would like to put that in my truck, which has the grey interior. Does anyone know the part numbers, or where I can buy that center piece from?

Below are some pics to show what i mean.

Picture of a truck that HAS the cubby below the upfitters:

Picture of MY truck with no Cubby:

Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Mike11C
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The upfitter switches are in the place where the cubby would be if it didn't have the upfitter switches. What's that under the upfitter switches on the first pic, an ashtray?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be able to get you some numbers in the morning...............I just ordered a replacement for mine, it broke

Mike11C, it is just like he said, a really small version of a glovebox.

On edit -- After reviewing both pictures, it looks like the one on the bottom truck may have been purposely ommitted, and looks like it is even a different profile at the bottom, almost concave where as the uipper one is perfectly straight along the bottom. I am thinking maybe omitted and clearanced purposely to allow 100% uninhibited movement of the floor shifter?!? Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by miker67; 08-14-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Thanks for the help miker67, I think it will be two part numbers... one for the actual dash panel and one for the little glove box. If you can get those part numbers, I owe you a few beers!

Mike11C, when i stated "cubby" i meant the little glove box beneath where the upfitters and tow command is. Alot of folks refer to the "cubby" as the little pocket next to the tow command (as seen in the second pic),

I am actually wanting to get the whole lower dash assembly that would have the mini glovebox as well as the dash panel.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Miker67,
the bottom pic is a pic of my truck.... and yeah there is a slight concave to the lower panel, but it is very small. There is actually alot of clearance between the 4x4 lever and the lower dash.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BooDaddy if i'm not mistaken that willnot work with trucks that have the 4 wheel drive shift on the floor - it can't open very much due to that .. just FYI

Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 PM
schmidt64
Elder User
Yes, trucks with the manual transfer case do not get the driver side glove box

Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 AM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by schmidt64
Yes, trucks with the manual transfer case do not get the driver side glove box
What he said. I have the manual 4x4 and because of the floor shifter, they don't put the drivers side glove box in. I was disappointed when I got my truck and saw that too. Although it is nice to see another 6 speed around here

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I noticed in the pic of your truck you have the ability to turn the passenger side airbag off. I don't have that option in mine. Why? Is it because I have the Crew Cab?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nut1605
What he said. I have the manual 4x4 and because of the floor shifter, they don't put the drivers side glove box in. I was disappointed when I got my truck and saw that too. Although it is nice to see another 6 speed around here

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I noticed in the pic of your truck you have the ability to turn the passenger side airbag off. I don't have that option in mine. Why? Is it because I have the Crew Cab?
The driver's side glove box is not available with manual transmission - can't get it. Only an option with automatics XLT trim and up.

The passenger air bag disable switch is only available on regular cab and super cab models. Crew Cabs don't have that option. (Too bad, as it would be better when hunting and off road - at least for the passenger)

Old 08-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
I took a closer look this morning on my way to work, and I noticed that the glove box would more than likely hit the 6 speed stick when it is opened. Theres plenty of clearance for the transfer case lever, jut not the actual shifter lever.

Hey Nut, did it take you a while to get used to shifting your 6 speed? I have had the truck almost a week now, and I am still getting used to the gearbox Shifts totally different than any other standard tranny Ive ever drove.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The drivers side glove box is not available on trucks that have manual 4x4 or manual transmissions because it will hit on the levers.

The airbag shut off switch is only put in on regular cab and super cab models since a child seat will most likely be put in the front passenger seat, so they have to be able to shut off the airbag. Our trucks do not have the weight sensor that shuts off the airbag if the passenger seat sees less than a certain weight, like some cars do. However, if you really want the air bag shut off switch in your crew cab it can be added. The harness is hiding behind the dash, you just need to order it and plug it in. I'm not sure if the dealer has to change the PCM programming to enable it or not, does anyone else know?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by WildWildWest
The driver's side glove box is not available with manual transmission - can't get it. Only an option with automatics XLT trim and up....
I have an '07 XLT with an automatic and do not have the driver's side glove box, so this statement isn't true.

I do have a manual transfer case (as was previously mentioned) so that must be why I do not have it.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
F250tuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
I'm not sure if the dealer has to change the PCM programming to enable it or not, does anyone else know?
Someone has posted before that yes the dealer does have to make a change to the PCM.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:57 PM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boo_Daddy
Hey Nut, did it take you a while to get used to shifting your 6 speed? I have had the truck almost a week now, and I am still getting used to the gearbox Shifts totally different than any other standard tranny Ive ever drove.
Yes, it did take me a while. I went from a '92 F-150 to a '99 F-150 (both with the 5 Speeds) now to my '07 F-350 with the 6 speed and it took me quite a while to get used to it. The shifting seems to be a lot tighter (I'm sure it is because of the new transmission not being worn in as much as my older trucks) and the clutch is a lot stiffer and more unforgiving. With the torque of the diesel I had to learn to slide the clutch a lot more than my older trucks. All in all, after having it for a year, I am finally used to it and love it, and wouldn't change a thing. That granny low gear is awesome!

Originally Posted by redford
I have an '07 XLT with an automatic and do not have the driver's side glove box, so this statement isn't true.

I do have a manual transfer case (as was previously mentioned) so that must be why I do not have it.
I was thinking that the manual transmission didn't have anything to do with the glove box, it was all with the manual transfer case. My dad has an '07 XLT Automatic (2WD) and after looking at his glove box, it looks like it would have no problem clearing the transmission lever, but it would hardly open before it hit the transfer case lever.

As far as the airbag switch, I figured it was only available in Reg. Cabs and Super Cabs. I don't necessarily want it, I was just curious why mine didn't have it. Thanks guys!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
I never gave it much thought, but looking at the pictures it doesn't look like clearance would be a huge problem.