Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Newton007's Avatar
Newton007 Newton007 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 222
Newton007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
May be it is just me , but...

Has anyone noticed how hard is to read the gauges on their 07 Expedition during the day?
At night they are very easy to read, but during the day the red indicator on black background when the Sun is reflecting off the interior makes the gauges difficult to read.
The tach and speedometer are easy to read day or night. Red on black, not much contrast. Seems to me not the best choice, when the tach and spedometer stand out very clear day or night.

Last edited by Newton007; 08-14-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, the gauges have been criticized for this since they came out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Jay Jay is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 101
Jay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agreed, especially the radio and message center
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM
jackson3000 jackson3000 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28
jackson3000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same here, seams to be location of the windshield relative to dash board that allows the glare in.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Jason Merrick Jason Merrick is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14
Jason Merrick is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish Ford would upgrade their gauges to something like Honda uses with Electroluminescent Backlighting that is always on... looks great all the time.

While I'm on the wishlist, can they find a way to make the back window roll down like Toyota's do?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Newton007's Avatar
Newton007 Newton007 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 222
Newton007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 1950 Ford truck, all the gauges were large and very easy to read day or night.
This 07, I find myself using my hand to shade the Sun just to look at the little gauges during the day, not while driving of course, but at the stop lights.

I have to wonder if anyone at Ford bothered to take the 07 for a test drive on a sunny day to check for visability. May be they did not have time.
Must have found time to do this in 1950, of course it was a different time and different people, people that cared. People that care seem to find the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The gauges IMO were a cost savings. If you compare the 07's with the older models, the truck in general seems to be less sturdy. I know the MSRP dropped a few thousand dollars from 06 to 07. This money came from somewhere, and not all of it from Fords bottom line. I am not bashing them. I like the truck, just I would rather have updated displays on the instruments and radio. The radio and climate controls displays are from the 90's. Take a look at a Yukon/Tahoe, they have nice radio/gauge displays.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2007, 01:31 PM
carbonmetallic carbonmetallic is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 370
carbonmetallic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1234
The gauges IMO were a cost savings. If you compare the 07's with the older models, the truck in general seems to be less sturdy. I know the MSRP dropped a few thousand dollars from 06 to 07. This money came from somewhere, and not all of it from Fords bottom line. I am not bashing them. I like the truck, just I would rather have updated displays on the instruments and radio. The radio and climate controls displays are from the 90's. Take a look at a Yukon/Tahoe, they have nice radio/gauge displays.
the tahoes and yukons may have nice gauges, but you are paying around 4-5K over the 07 expedition price, plus you are getting a third row seat that doesnt fold flat. I looked at the Tahoe, and actually like the exterior styling a little better than my 07 expedition, but having a third row seat that you have to manually lift out like the 99 expedition is ridiculous. That blew the tahoe idea for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
the tahoes and yukons may have nice gauges, but you are paying around 4-5K over the 07 expedition price, plus you are getting a third row seat that doesnt fold flat. I looked at the Tahoe, and actually like the exterior styling a little better than my 07 expedition, but having a third row seat that you have to manually lift out like the 99 expedition is ridiculous. That blew the tahoe idea for me.
I agree with you 100%. The third row is a HUGE deal for me. I too like the styling of the Yukon. What I don't like is the price, the third row and the bad history the company I work for has with Chevy engines croaking with less than 100K.

I would be willing to spend a couple hunkskies on a nice display though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Newton007's Avatar
Newton007 Newton007 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 222
Newton007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
May be I am making a big deal out of nothing, but since I started driving in 1966, I have always had the habit of quickly scanning the gauges during a trip at least once a mile or so.
Now during the day, I just get a reflection and red indicators on a black back ground. Old habits are hard to break so I guess I will just have to adapt to the fancy, but stupid new display.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton007
May be I am making a big deal out of nothing, but since I started driving in 1966, I have always had the habit of quickly scanning the gauges during a trip at least once a mile or so.
Now during the day, I just get a reflection and red indicators on a black back ground. Old habits are hard to break so I guess I will just have to adapt to the fancy, but stupid new display.
I am not sure what state you are in, but if you can tint your front windows this helps a lot. I tinted mine with one step up from the lightest you can get and it really cut the glare.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
SixPak SixPak is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas,TX., Y'all.
Posts: 81
SixPak is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't really have any problem reading the gauges on my '07, but then I do have tinted glass...........
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Newton007's Avatar
Newton007 Newton007 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 222
Newton007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, Well I took drastic action, pulled the instrument panel out, removed the clear face plate off the panel and painted the red gauge indicators white. The result? A WHOLE lot better day time gauge readability. Plus still easy to read at night.
Well worth the effort.

If you should decide to do this, here is how I did it. The hardest part was taking the face plate off without breaking little the plastic tabs. It can be done but just take your time.
Next I used white water based Acrylic paint from a hobby shop or WM and a very small brush. Put a lot of paint on your brush and carefully just dab the paint on as the indicators are thin plastic.
Take your time here as so not to create a mess. Also don't use any other paint that is not water based as you could melt the plastic indicator causing a panel replacement. I mean how much could they co$$$$t any way?

Worked for me. Why Ford could not do this, I will never know.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:50 PM
berry1234's Avatar
berry1234 berry1234 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 4,008
berry1234 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton007
Ok, Well I took drastic action, pulled the instrument panel out, removed the clear face plate off the panel and painted the red gauge indicators white. The result? A WHOLE lot better day time gauge readability. Plus still easy to read at night.
Well worth the effort.

If you should decide to do this, here is how I did it. The hardest part was taking the face plate off without breaking little the plastic tabs. It can be done but just take your time.
Next I used white water based Acrylic paint from a hobby shop or WM and a very small brush. Put a lot of paint on your brush and carefully just dab the paint on as the indicators are thin plastic.
Take your time here as so not to create a mess. Also don't use any other paint that is not water based as you could melt the plastic indicator causing a panel replacement. I mean how much could they co$$$$t any way?

Worked for me. Why Ford could not do this, I will never know.
Pics please!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
jackson3000 jackson3000 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28
jackson3000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Newton, slick idea. I gota go with Carbon on the 3rd row, it works great to fold them down at the beach .Saw a tahoe with one rear seat missing, I have to wonder where they stored it at. Can't see having the 3rd row seat any other way
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get the green off your gauges skrappy Appearance & Dress-Up 2 04-04-2013 08:24 PM
Isspro gauges work during day but not at night. Ideas? JT250 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7 12-04-2012 05:56 PM
My “How To” install a F-150 Cluster w/Tach into an Aero 93nighthawk Aerostar 33 09-10-2012 09:09 PM
Scan Gauge ll and factory gauges not alighning mrad Excursion - King of SUVs 1 02-03-2010 09:24 PM
76 f150 gauges Smith76 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1 01-20-2006 11:38 AM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup