Sponsored by: Moser

Bed Liners

Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Groundef
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bed Liners

Hello,

I have a 1977 F150 4X4 in imaculate condition. The paint is beautiful, and there are very few flaws on a mostly all original truck. The only costmetic flaw is the bed itself. It's worn and there are scratches and large chips. I can't decide if I should get a matching color spray in bed liner or not. Rust is not an issue for this truck. I was thinking about a bed mat, but a bed mat will not cover the wheel bumps, and they will get messed up by loading granite rock or musical and camping equipment. Will a spray in bed liner lower the value of an original truck? Can a spray in be removed easily if I ever decide to paint and restore the bed?

Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd put in a bedliner, they can still be bought.

I hate the spray-in stuff.

No, I don't know how it could be removed...it's TOUGH.

I wouldn't know if it would lower the value of an original...IMO, I'd pass on it if it had a spray-in liner.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
the hard plastic bedliners are GARBAGE. i've had both. the hard liners rub on the floor and hold moisture. this combination will cause rust. the spray on bedliners are nice because they can be repaired if necessary, and they cover up any flaws or imperfections. they stay flat in the bed. i would think any of them could be removed with a chemical dip and the herculiner comes off with some aggressive wire wheeling. i hate the drop in liners and from what i've seen, the roll on or spray on liners add value to a vehicle.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Groundef
Freshman User
A hard bedliner was never an option. I had one in my last truck and I hated it. I don't know why anyone would not like a spray in bed liner. I just don't want to lower the value of a classic original truck. That is why I was considering the bed mats, that fit perfectly easy to install, and with the ***** on the bottom. Rust is not an issue, because I live in Chandler, AZ, it was 113 degrees today. I would prefer a color matched bedliner, but I am affraid of altering the truck in that kind of way.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issue with a bed mat regardless of climate is rust from condensation. Ive heard that the colormatched spray ins fade over time and before you know it arent color matched anymore. I would go with the good ole black....and Im sure anything could be removed with enough sand blasting...or a chem bath haha.
-Chris

Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Groundef
Freshman User
But Rhino linings has this SolarMax bedliner.
"A unique, new aliphatic formulation, SolarMax™ combines toughness with maximum color stability. With its long-lasting color and UV protection, Rhino SolarMax can keep surfaces looking great much longer than most bed liners. In addition to many vehicle and equipment applications, SolarMax can be used to replace paint applications, reducing the need for frequent re-painting and labor costs. These applications include fire hydrants, parking zones, safety curbs, emergency lanes and more."

Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
JBradley500
Posting Guru
when i bought my truck it had a hard plastic bed liner and when i got the truck home and took it off all heck broke loose...the entire bed floor is about shot....beware of the slide-in bed liner.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundef
A hard bedliner was never an option. I had one in my last truck and I hated it. I don't know why anyone would not like a spray in bed liner. I just don't want to lower the value of a classic original truck. That is why I was considering the bed mats, that fit perfectly easy to install, and with the ***** on the bottom. Rust is not an issue, because I live in Chandler, AZ, it was 113 degrees today. I would prefer a color matched bedliner, but I am affraid of altering the truck in that kind of way.
I suppose you could roll out the bed mat everytime you need to use it. Or buy a pickup box cover / topper.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 PM
highboy1975
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
well, as i said before, the herculiner does come out with a wire wheel.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
Go with the spray in, color of your choice, after FINALLY doing my 94 years ago with a line-x spray in, ALL my new trucks get it, the ranger work trucks, drove em from the dealer to my Line-X guy! They are superb, I am only waiting to have about 4 bills free to go get my 77 done, and it also is pristine, 91,000 original miles, paint is excellent. However, I use my trucks and love the added protection of the spray in bedliners. DO NOT go with those CHEESEY/crappy slide in bedliners, they are junk if you use your truck like a truck.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:33 AM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundef
Groundef, I live in the desert as well, maybe 14 inches of rain a year. I had a slide in bedliner in my 77 for about 4 years. It started getting ratty so I pulled it out and behold, major rust from condensation. I had to wire brush the rust, prime and paint. Now I have a truck with absolutely no rust anywhere except for a pitted bed. I wouldn't suggest anyone use a slide in bedliner.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:15 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote on the spray in type of bed liner.
IF you're willing to spend $400-500 get a line-x bedliner

IF you're looking for something cheaper, but still very good quality, then Herculiner is a great product.
You can get the herculiner roll on bed liner kit for about $80, and about $25 for a quart of stuff that will make the shinny coat last a long time against UV rays.

It isn't hard to put on, and it will last forever if you prep it correctly.

I wouldn't think that a spray in bedliner would lower the value of a older truck(If it would be a good bedliner, then that should help the value).

Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Groundef
Freshman User
Thanks for all the opinions. Again, the hard plastic liner is not even for consideration. I don't like them, I used to have one. Money is not an issue. I just was wondering if the spray in would decrease value on a imaculate 77 F150, and if so, perhaps a bed mat that I can put in and take out is the answer. But based on many of your opinions, maybe a spray in Rhino SolarMax that is color matched and UV protected might be the answer. I was also considering a diamond plate chrome edge on the top of the bed rails and top of the tailgate. It would match the other chrome and bumper well.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Yes, the spray-in liner would lower the value of an original classic truck. It really takes away from the originality, and doesn't look right in an older truck. I'd probably go with the rubber mat. If you're worried about the sides and inner wheel-wells getting scratched, maybe use an old blanket or some cardboard to cover the sides when you are hauling stuff with the truck.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still use drop in ones Mine are in good shape had same one in 5 trucks . As for rust it can happen any where. Just spray linseed oil on bed first and clean out 1 A YEAR. I parked my 93 because of rust and it was solid under liner .

If you do the spray on thing there is no easy way off. But it shouldn't affect values .As long as you use truck and this will keep nice go for it. Unless this is a 10000 mile virgin truck with all options don't worrie about it. Just keep liner inside bed not on top rails

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bed Liners