Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck is shuttering/ misfiring!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:59 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is shuttering/ misfiring!!

Hey guys my 1999 F350 dually just started acting up today. About 2-3 days ago i notice a slight rough idle and when you stood near the 5in canon you could kinda hear a loopy idle. Well today as i was driving i notice when the truck shifted into overdrive the truck would shutter (like a lock up issues)! I though great my converter is on its way out, well about 4-5miles down the road it started to shutter in every gear and notice when i stoped and let the truck idle it would run really rough like a misfire. When you stomped on the go pedal with the DP tuner you could really see a miss in the black smoke.LOL i know it sounds funny but the black smoke used to be continous when stomping on it but now it's like it smokes a bit then nothing, then smokes again,etc. I had issues like this with my 1994.5 PSD and it was a melted inj harness under the valve cover, so i pulled the valve covers on my truck and everything looked good. So anyway no check engine light but i check it out with my snap-on scan tool and came up with a P1298 IDM fault. So what do you guys think a bad IDM module? I dont have a break out box to check Ohm's,etc on the IDM module, but my buddy that his family owns a local ford dealer is going to check his stock to see if he has one in stock.
The DP chip dosn't set this P1298 code right? its another code it set's normaly right. So iam really thinking its the IDM module, what do you guys think?
Thanks
Erik

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was the 9 pin uvc connector tight together...? On my 99 dually, (70K miles) both the connectors uvc were about 1/4" separated... causing misfire and lost of power..I made a shim to slip under the poorly designed plastic locking tabs to prevent the connector from coming apart.. Been good for almost a year now..

Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
Was the 9 pin uvc connector tight together...? On my 99 dually, (70K miles) both the connectors uvc were about 1/4" separated... causing misfire and lost of power..I made a shim to slip under the poorly designed plastic locking tabs to prevent the connector from coming apart.. Been good for almost a year now..
Is this 9 pin uvc connector located on top of the driverside valve cover? or does this connecter go into the IDM? When i removed the d/s valve cover i had to unplug the main connecter but i think it was way more then 9pin more like 20pin's and it was nice and tight also.
Erik

Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 AM
lacustoms
Junior User
I had the exact problem you are having and what it was was a stuck injector. Same problems, loopy idle, shift into overdrive and it is just chugging. You have a stuck injector. Dont drive it too much, you will burn out the hole beacuse it will be running dry. Take it to the dealer and they will tell you which hole to replace, or drop it off at the dealer and bend over. Also my truck tripped no codes either when the injector siezed.

Also the plug on the valve cover, i played with that too and that was not the problem.

Usually the first hole on the right goes first.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by lacustoms
I had the exact problem you are having and what it was was a stuck injector. Same problems, loopy idle, shift into overdrive and it is just chugging. You have a stuck injector. Dont drive it too much, you will burn out the hole beacuse it will be running dry. Take it to the dealer and they will tell you which hole to replace, or drop it off at the dealer and bend over. Also my truck tripped no codes either when the injector siezed.

Also the plug on the valve cover, i played with that too and that was not the problem.

Usually the first hole on the right goes first.
Well before i scaned the truck with the snap-on scan tool i really though it was an inj harness melted (like my old truck did) or a bad inj like you just stated..But after scanning it and coming up with a P1298 is kinda leaning towards the IDM. I peformed a "inj buzz test" with the snap-on scan tool and it came back with the P1298 code. Will a bad inj cause a P1298 code to come up?
thanks
Erik

Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
lacustoms
Junior User
I did the exact same thing with the buzz test and it did not show, my friend has one. It showed nothing. The diagnostic at ford tells you which injector is screwed and tells you the condition of all the rest. The diagnosticis worth 200 dollars down here, Then then you dont have to play around with anything else like i did. I wish i went to the dealer at the start.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:56 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by lacustoms
I did the exact same thing with the buzz test and it did not show, my friend has one. It showed nothing. The diagnostic at ford tells you which injector is screwed and tells you the condition of all the rest. The diagnosticis worth 200 dollars down here, Then then you dont have to play around with anything else like i did. I wish i went to the dealer at the start.
Ok, well iam going to wait till Monday to use the scan tool at my buddys Ford dealer. and will see what i come up with.
thanks
Erik

Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by crapr6
Is this 9 pin uvc connector located on top of the driverside valve cover? or does this connecter go into the IDM? When i removed the d/s valve cover i had to unplug the main connecter but i think it was way more then 9pin more like 20pin's and it was nice and tight also.
Erik
The 9 pin connectors (UVC) is under the valve covers and connects to your wire harness.. Ford has redesigned this connector in 2002 becuz the locking plastic tabs warp and don't lock the connector.. In time the connector just wiggles loose, (goes downward) and disconnects your injector and glow plug wiring..I will try and send you a picture or 2 of what I found..

Old 08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
The 9 pin connectors (UVC) is under the valve covers and connects to your wire harness.. Ford has redesigned this connector in 2002 becuz the locking plastic tabs warp and don't lock the connector.. In time the connector just wiggles loose, (goes downward) and disconnects your injector and glow plug wiring..I will try and send you a picture or 2 of what I found..
Ok i know what your talking about and when i had the valve covers off thoses connectors where nice and tight and i really looked into the pins to see if they had any sign's of melting,etc going on which they didn't, so i dont think that is the problem.
Thanks for the reply.
Erik

Old 08-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Was it only 1298?....

Read this...

If DTC P1663 and P1667 are set together, with or without DTC P1668, GO to FJ6 .

If DTC P1298 is also present REPLACE the IDM. If DTC P1662 is also present, GO to NC1

FJ6 CHECK IDM POWER
  • PCM connected, IDM disconnected.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between IDM connector Pin 14 and battery ground.
Is B+ present?
NC1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1662
  • P1662 will set, if the PCM detects a fault on the IDM enable circuit.
  • Possible causes:
    • Open fuse
    • Open or shorted IDM enable circuit.
    • IDM relay
    • PCM
  • Verify B+ at IDM relay primary circuit.
  • Disconnect the IDM relay.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between IDM relay Circuit 16 (RD/LG) for Econoline or Circuit 20 (W/LB) for F-Series and battery ground.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Action4478
Was it only 1298?....

Read this...

If DTC P1663 and P1667 are set together, with or without DTC P1668, GO to FJ6 .

If DTC P1298 is also present REPLACE the IDM. If DTC P1662 is also present, GO to NC1

FJ6 CHECK IDM POWER
  • PCM connected, IDM disconnected.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between IDM connector Pin 14 and battery ground.
Is B+ present?
NC1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1662
  • P1662 will set, if the PCM detects a fault on the IDM enable circuit.
  • Possible causes:
    • Open fuse
    • Open or shorted IDM enable circuit.
    • IDM relay
    • PCM
  • Verify B+ at IDM relay primary circuit.
  • Disconnect the IDM relay.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between IDM relay Circuit 16 (RD/LG) for Econoline or Circuit 20 (W/LB) for F-Series and battery ground.
Just had code p1298, and P0605 Internal ctrl module rom error (which i think is due to the DP chip installed, allways had this code once i put the chip in).

Erik

Last edited by crapr6; 08-12-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Not good ...Sounds like you may need an IDM ...Got any buds with a PS you can put your IDM in their truck to test it?...

Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Action4478
Not good ...Sounds like you may need an IDM ...Got any buds with a PS you can put your IDM in their truck to test it?...
Yes i do, my buddy that his family owns a local ford dealer has a 2000 F350, same as my truck except his is a 2000 and i have a early 99. do you think the IDM's are the same?
Erik

Old 08-13-2007, 05:19 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Ok guys update..I FIXED IT!

I went over to my buddys Ford dealer and they had a IDM instock, i unpluged my old on and pluged in the new IDM. Still misfiring! So i had another buddy that has a snap-on modus (sp?) and it has the abilty to do a cylinder balance check. I performed a cylinder balance check and it came back with a p0248 (cylinder8 unbalanced). I checked the wire for cylinder 8 inj (light blue wire) from the inj to the IDM and the wire was in good shape. I went back to my buddys Ford dealer and they had 2 inj's instock (love this dealer..everything is instock.LOL) I tore the old inj out and installed the new one and it took about 5 good cranks to refill the fuel/oil galley and then she lite up! She has no more misfire but a slight crackle (iam guessing has air in the fuel still). Road tested she's about 98% still a slight crackly but iam sure it will go away once i drive it. So anyway it was number 8 inj that was bad, and you guys dont know how bad i wanted to order up a nice set of aftermarket high performance inj's but i can't have my truck down for the need time to get them shipped to me. So i was stuck with putting in a stock one from Ford for now.
Thanks for all the help guys!
Erik

Old 08-15-2007, 10:07 PM
crapr6
Senior User
Well another update!

After putting a few miles on my truck with the new #8 inj it still has a knock "cackle" (sp?). After doing some checking out via internet and Alldata i found out there is a "special" inj just for #8 cylinder. I confirmed this by talking to my buddy in the Ford dealer he has the special #8 inj instock. Hes going to make a swap and give me the correct inj and iam going to install it over the weekend. Dam it i thought i was done doing this! guess not.
Erik

Quick Reply: Truck is shuttering/ misfiring!!