Lightning SC mount up to a stock 99 5.4?

Old 05-16-2002, 01:47 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, heres my question, I may have just found me a 99 lightning supercharger, M112 i think. My question is, will it bolt right up to a 99 f-250 sd 5.4 ltr? Its running a 8psi pully now and im curious how much boost can i run on the engine without causing damge? What will i need to get this SC on my truck and operating? Thanks
S

Old 05-16-2002, 02:49 PM
sauerf100s
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like this. The supercharger will indeed bolt on, since your block is the same as in a Lightning. That would be about the only similarity you have. You don't have the right electronics, injectors, fuel pumps, forged pistons, rods, cam, pulleys, and the list goes on. Also you don't have the innercooler and pump, correct radiator,throttle body, etc. I think you see my point. You would not be happy with the results if you tried to bolt that supercharger to your engine, without making all the other proper mods. The Lightning is actually very fair priced. It would cost you or I much more to try and reproduce the results using a regular truck.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:28 PM
fordextreme
Senior User

Thanks, You just saved me close to 400 big ones for th charger alone, I hate to have seen the final price tag on all the mods i would have needed to have done when it was all said and done. Now my question is this, ive done the chip, the exhaust,and the air, what else it there to do on these fargin modualr type engines? I mean somewhere along the line somebody has got to have some sort of internal parts to get more performance for them.
If you look at any other motor on the market within weeks after factory release yo have non stop parts and aftermarket crap. Where as here we are, years into the game and nothing to show for it? Why not? Ive got plenty of ignorant Cheby owners who are constantly dropping cash into making there trucks ratherimpressive, more and more making my v-8 look like something that shoudl have been reconcidered when purchasing.
S

Old 05-17-2002, 06:45 AM
sauerf100s
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mod motors respond to increase compression, cam changes, 3 angle valve jobs, and head porting just like any other engine. Extrude honing both the heads and intake as a unit is extremly effective to increase air flow, but it isn't cheap. The cams are out there, but take a little searching. Your engine is in a very mild state of tune from the factory. For a truck, you of course don't want to get too radical with the cam, because you would gain high RPM horsepower at the expense of low end torque. For a truck, anything you can do to increase the velocity of the airflow through the engine is the ticket. That's why I mentioned the extrude honing process. It doesn't make the ports much bigger, but it sure does increase the airflow and velocity. In case you aren't familiar with it, they remove the valves
and pump an abrasive thick paste through the heads and intake. It removes all casting flaws,smooths any sharp edges, and port matches the intake ports perfectly to the heads.

Old 05-17-2002, 06:12 PM
Johnnyrotten
New User
Post Lightning SC mount up to a stock 99 5.4?

Old 05-17-2002, 10:45 PM
Petrol
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 17-May-02 AT 11:48 PM (EST)]>It's like this. The supercharger will indeed bolt on, since
>your block is the same as in a Lightning. That would be
>about the only similarity you have. You don't have the right
>electronics, injectors, fuel pumps, forged pistons, rods,
>cam, pulleys, and the list goes on. Also you don't have the
>innercooler and pump, correct radiator,throttle body, etc. I
>think you see my point. You would not be happy with the
>results if you tried to bolt that supercharger to your
>engine, without making all the other proper mods. The
>Lightning is actually very fair priced. It would cost you or
>I much more to try and reproduce the results using a regular
>truck.

:-X23 I'll take that charger. Sounds like you got a good price (if all is in good order) The internal differances are not all that much (just the pistons I belive) and the stock lighting didn't come with a intercooler in 99 either. Where did you come by this SC? can you get your hands on the other misc small parts? Your Super Duty has a pretty big radiator as well.

I say just swap to a larger (lower boost rate, 5-6 PSI) pully and bolt her on and get a new chip. It's easy enough to change fuel rails and injectors if you want more but you don't need to. I would expect you could see an easy 60-75 HP and up to 100 lb ft. I have seen many little 4.6's that have done little more then install an aftermarket SC and they rock.

Old 05-18-2002, 03:51 AM
lvstang
Senior User

Ummmmm, the '99's did indeed come with an intercooler. They had a nasty habit of leaking. There is either a recall or TSB on this somewhere.

If you want to supercharge I'd get a COMPLETE kit from one of the reputable manufactures(installs in a weekend.) instead of trying to piece together a b^stard sytem and possibly having your truck down for a loooong time.

Search this Thread