ultra low sulfur diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 AM
linus72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is still relevant I think..

The ULSD fuel has alot of bad effects-

It is probably one the main causes of Asphaltenes...

I think all diesels have some asphaltenes maybe but I never saw these things when I owned a diesel rabbit before ULSD came out..

My current truck was clogging filters with this gook until I cleaned the tanks and even then I have noticed some flakes still being "created"

Fuel School: Asphaltene's and Plugged Fuel Filters

Marine Diesel Fuel Contamination Problems & Solutions

Diesel Fuel Facts

Basically it seems all related to how they're processing diesel nowadays...progress?!

Fuel School: Black Fuel Filters - Asphaltenes - Re-polymerization

This additive is supposed to work but who knows...
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/htm...asph_cond.html

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Great documentation of your POV. Asphaltines and filter plugging are nothing new, though. I remember problems with it 45 years ago on military watercraft. We attributed it to the lowest-bid fuel we got, some of it refined overseas.

Despite all the dire warnings and hand wringing about ULSD, I still don't see widespread problems in the commercial world. More than before... perhaps... but not epidemic in nature. A lot of the negative material I see about ULSD seems rooted in a desire to sell some product or another. That makes me suspicious that the problems are being overblown. Certainly it's not a problem for me or any of the farmers around me, some of whom go through thousands of gallons per year. Right now the issues here are about biofuels. Lots of farmer have bought into them and had various small or large problems, some of which were simple ignorance of how best to use them.

ULSD has worked out pretty well for me overall. We've have it here since '06... even the off-road fuel here is ULSD. My farm tractors and diesel truck run as well or better on it than previously. Noticeable decrease in smoke too.

All that said, though, I'd still rather have LSD. GOOD LSD. But the good'ol days of HSD and even LSD weren't always that good because fuel quality varied A LOT regionally. In some places, all you could get was 40C wee-water while in others you could easily find nice 50C premium. One good thing about the intro of ULSD is that it's kinda leveled out the regional quality variables a fair bit. You could argue that it's leveled at a lower level than previously, but I think your POV on that would depend on where you lived previously and whether you had the good stuff or the wee-water. Where I used to live in Colorado, it was wee-water. When I moved to Ohio, it was better.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AFIK the farm diesel we buy is LSD, seems that our older diesels prefer it to the new stuff. Little quieter, little smoother, maybe a little more power. But our newer trucks / pickups DO NOT like the lsd, our 03 is a turd with lsd compared to ULSD.

Our 4250 has 9450hrs on it and the pump has shown signs of wear for a while, used to lope a little when cold even with HSD, LSD is worse, ULSD its alot worse and never goes away under 1500 hot or cold.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask specifically. Around here, everybody "said" farm fuel was LSD. When you called the Shell or Marathon distributors, they said ULSD. CiTGO too but I haven't called Valero. I like my Shell distributor. Many of the new tractors have gone to ULSD requirements, so even if you have it now, you won't forever. The newest tractors have DPF fluid tanks for Pete's sake!

Also, it's important to remember the relationship to sulfur content and the oil you use. If you use LSD, you should be using a CI-4 oil (harder and harder to get). CJ-4 is great with ULSD but doesn't have the right additives for LSD.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
good point on the oil i wouldnt have thought of. My dad says LSD, its from united oil, and he used to work there so im going to guess he knows.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
cornking
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have lived in Mexico for the last 6 years where they pump the old type diesel. I have been in the States for about a month now and find that I have dropped from 18 MPG to around 15MPG everyday driving empty. I also seem that I have less power when loaded and climbing grades.

How does burning more fuel to go the same distance help the environment?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
84worktruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it not only emissions but a ploy to kick all the old trucks off the road whether it be emissions or to profit auto manufacturers

Old 06-14-2012, 07:34 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by cornking
Environmentalist are just as nutz as the guys running the country

You can grow more corn...So its.....Greener....just look at all that green corn....Its......Greener!

And just think one day theyll use algae to make.....diesel....LOL!

The gov give them 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and theyll give you back .50C

Forget about eating that corn its for fuel

Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cornking
Ive always wanted to know this... my 65 buick will get 16mph thats 5200lbs of steel with 445CID 390hp carbed V8 with no overdrive, no electronics and no emissions. Dads old 76 Continental w a 460 would get 17-18.. i mean these things are LAND YACHTS if there ever was one with non lockup non overdrive "caveman" technology. Yet a 2006 Fusion with a measly 180hp V6 can only manage 22mpg? a 190hp v6 ranger only gets 18 (on a good day) My aunts camry or corolla (the bigger one dunno which it actually is) only gets 26... These new cars are HALF the car... literally, half size, half weight, half engine, half power, half lifespan... but yet... 40 years later not half the fuel... WTF I mean come on, the Model T averaged 22mpg.. think on that one. An even better joke, albeit off topic, in 1919 there was an electric car that could literally stand toe to toe with the Volt and by comparison cost no where near as much.. that was almost a 100 years ago.. cars still had acetylene headlights lol

As far as green goes, IIRC the first diesel was built to run on vegtable oil. Even our history is green. Think of what a 6.7 scorpion could do w/out emissions, government and epa clogging it up and choking it down. Im willing to bet on 30mpg

Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
84worktruck
New User
Those big.blocks have one thing the new little cars
dont torque part of the.reason diesel trucks do so well for their weight

Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Ive always wanted to know this... my 65 buick will get 16mph thats 5200lbs of steel with 445CID 390hp carbed V8 with no overdrive, no electronics and no emissions. Dads old 76 Continental w a 460 would get 17-18.. i mean these things are LAND YACHTS if there ever was one with non lockup non overdrive "caveman" technology. Yet a 2006 Fusion with a measly 180hp V6 can only manage 22mpg? a 190hp v6 ranger only gets 18 (on a good day) My aunts camry or corolla (the bigger one dunno which it actually is) only gets 26... These new cars are HALF the car... literally, half size, half weight, half engine, half power, half lifespan... but yet... 40 years later not half the fuel... WTF I mean come on, the Model T averaged 22mpg.. think on that one. An even better joke, albeit off topic, in 1919 there was an electric car that could literally stand toe to toe with the Volt and by comparison cost no where near as much.. that was almost a 100 years ago.. cars still had acetylene headlights lol

As far as green goes, IIRC the first diesel was built to run on vegtable oil. Even our history is green. Think of what a 6.7 scorpion could do w/out emissions, government and epa clogging it up and choking it down. Im willing to bet on 30mpg
It easy equation they all seam to forget,

Gas F/A 14.1
Diesel F/A 60.1

Cant and wont run long above those numbers, No matter what they do.

The more advanced they become the dummer they become.

Brand new gasser F-150 gets 14 city 20hwy for 30,000.00!
3500.00 in a paid for truck that gets the same.......PRICELESS!