Oo. Supercharging a 99 f-250 5.4 ltr Oo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 08:52 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I own a 99 f-250 5.4ltr triton v-8. After many mods to the truck i still want to get more out of the engine. After a year of fighting the truth im going to just supercharge. Right now im looking at the paxton centrifigal only because they seem to be a good match with my engine. Does anybody have any suggestions with my selection? I was really hoping to get that supercharged sound the engin gives off. That sone of the things im looking for other than performance. WHat is the avergae engine life with a SC? if there is. What effects woudl i look at dowdside anyway. I really look foward to hearing back from you. Thanks again
Sean

Old 08-29-2001, 03:54 PM
nothingbutford
Senior User

I would go with Vortech if it was mine. You can find their website easily to see what kind of warrenty they have.

Old 08-29-2001, 05:37 PM
Lok_N_Load
New User

Where do you want the power to be noticeable? The Vortech and Paxton chargers are centrifigul chargers. They start creating boost higher in the rpm range. Alot of people that are pulling heavy loads will go with this type of charger because the engine has enough torque to get out of the hole and then needs some help staying at speed...especially if you're pulling that load up and down hills. I am not framiliar with the Paxton, but I do know that Vortech advertises their charger as a quiet type, so no cool noise out of that one. The chargers that most people are used to seeing (and hearing) is the roots type like Eaton (stock on the Lightnings), Kenne Bell, and the new Holley. These chargers produce almost maximum boost from the get go. If your truck is having problems with low end torque or coming off the line, then this is the style you want. Centrifigul chargers are almost always less expensive than the roots type. When I get one (christmas present), I will be going with a roots type.

Lok

Old 08-17-2002, 01:10 AM
forddude05
More Turbo

one downfall would be the fact that you need the premium (high octane) pump gas for it to run at its best.... and, if you're heavy on the throttle, you'll need to fill your tank with that high-price gas more often.. its like driving a top fuel dragster around town... :-staun go easy on the gas or it'll be gone before you can say "what the?" and when towing, only give it the meat when you need to. when in doubt, use common sense. about the engine life, i have heard that it does in fact shorten the engine's life, but i dont know the average engine life post-supercharger. :P hope this helps! :-)

-Jimmy

Old 08-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts