speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 06:09 PM
warmdye
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speed limiter

I noticed my 5.4L shuts off at around 100mph is there anyway to take this speed limiter out? Also is there anyway to get that annoying seat belt light/bell to shut up?

Old 04-25-2002, 06:58 AM
Petrol
Elder User
speed limiter

First I want to stress it is a real bad idea to be driving around without your seatbelt on, even at legal speeds, to do so at above the posted limits, well you might just have someone drive for you while you jump out of the truck cause you'll be just as well off. Seat belts help do more then many peole think, they can help to keep you in the chair and behind the wheel where your "driving skill" can help you recover from a otherwise "minor" initial impact instead of being knocked out of postion and helpless to do anything before the often more devistating secondary impacts.

Well now, with that done I recommend that you talk to Ken about a "chip" at this sites on-line store. I think he can reset the speed limiter to what ever you want.

As for the pesky seat belt/door ajar/key in the ignition chime just stick your head under the dash, eh with the truck in park, motor off, key in the "on" postion and the door open. You will be able to find the offending chime by following your ears, you can then simply "unplug" this noise maker.

Petrol

Old 08-24-2002, 03:46 PM
lucky guy
New User
speed limiter

Old 09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
bigjonsharp83
New User
speed limiter

i put a super chip in mt 2000 4.6 it gave me 22 horse and 14 pounds of torque and braudened my top end by a bunch. i followed a mustang back from town at 115 to 120 and for the seat belt dinger look in your owners manual it tells u how to shut it off

Old 09-04-2002, 10:02 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
speed limiter

Jon, just wondering how you got the torque/horsepower figures. Have you done before and after dynomometer tests? Must you now always run premium or can the knock sensor accomodate regular; for instance, in the winter?

MrBSS

Old 09-08-2002, 10:15 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
speed limiter

Not to be a PITA, but why don't you just wear your seatbelt and not drive 100MPH?

Even if you don't like the seatbelt, you'll at least be able to have an open casket funeral when you wreck at 100MPH.

If one were so inclined, you could probably wire a bypass into the wires on the floor (that lead to the seatbelt) to make it think the belt's always plugged in.

As far as the speed limiter, don't be a butthead.

Just my $.02

XXL

Old 09-10-2002, 12:22 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
speed limiter

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Sep-02 AT 01:23 PM (EST)]Why would you want to go over 100MPH in a pickup? The speed limiter has to do with more than just the tire rating. Your drive shaft may very well fall apart at speeds over 100MPH or possibly warp.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:43 PM
warmdye
Elder User
speed limiter

If I wanted a lecture I would have called my father.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:47 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
speed limiter

All you're going to do by exceeding 100MPH in your truck and bypassing or reprogramming the speed limiter is put yourself in danger, others on the highway in danger, and damage your truck. Maybe you don't mind endangering yourself and others, but obviously if you are on this forum you enjoy your truck. You can very easily do all sorts of damage to the drive shaft and other parts of the truck by exceeding the governed speed.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:59 PM
warmdye
Elder User
speed limiter

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Sep-02 AT 02:00 PM (EST)]BS, going over 100mph will not damage the truck.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:01 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
speed limiter

Take your chances, but there are reasons that the speed is governed where it is. Are you going to upgrade the rims, tires, driveshaft, etc., or just upgrade the governed speed?

This isn't BS, do your research!

Old 09-10-2002, 01:03 PM
warmdye
Elder User
speed limiter

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Sep-02 AT 02:04 PM (EST)]Thank you for your concern.

Old 09-10-2002, 01:17 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
speed limiter

I believe your tires (I could be wrong) are rated Q for speed. This is up to 99 MPH. If you remove the governing function of the engine, at least upgrade to a higher rated tire for speed.

Old 09-10-2002, 04:17 PM
BRONC72
New User
speed limiter

i always drive the speed limit.........?
well .. no .. i dont .. but my f150 does not shut off at 100. 99 with 5.4 only found that out a couple of times. in utah. figured id clean the cobs out.. but yes they make chips and dip for that sort of thing.

the cheapest way to shut off the seatbelt dong.. after starting the truck .. jsut push the release button
no more beep

later yall
brant.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:27 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
speed limiter

> BS, going over 100mph will not damage the truck.

The reason that vehicles are speed limited (I know, someone already pointed this out, but I want to go into more depth, not many people know the why's) is because the tires are speed limited. Take a thin piece of metal that you can bend with your hands. Bend it back and forth a few times and feel where you bent it.

It's hot, isn't it?

Now apply this to tires. Look at your tires while your vehicle is parked. The sidewalls bulge where the tires meets the road. As the tire rolls, the sidewall flexes. If the tire is rolling too fast, the sidewall will get too hot and blow out. A blowout at 100mph *will* destroy the vehicle, yourself, and any of your passengers in the process.

So yes, in effect, going over 100mph will damage the vehicle.

BTW, I resent people who put my life in danger because they get off on speeding. You want to race, take it to the track. Not near me, not near my family.

Quick Reply: speed limiter