1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabtech Dirt logic 4.0 concern!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 AM
brianismyname
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabtech Dirt logic 4.0 concern!

I have the Fabtech six inch lft with Dirt logic 4.0's in the front, and the 2.25's in the back. I was tightening up the travel (spring rate) in the front, and realized that my driverside coilover is loose? I can wiggle it. The nuts and bushings are in place, and everything with the shock tower seems fine. My question is this: Did the shock become loose from the torque of the motor? The passenger side is snug as can be. Maybe a set of energy suspension bushings are in order? I am thinking that the rubber bushing at the top of the shock got broken in due to torque from the motor, after all i have the whole banks system. any suggestions would be appreciated.

05 f-250 fx4
banks big hoss, power pda, afe stage three intake, intercooler
fabtech four link system with dirt logics, dirt logic steering stabilizer, and dirt logic 2,25 in the rear, nitto terra grappler 35 inch tires.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't the shock ends ride on a spherical mount?
My King shocks move around all over the place. No rubber bushing to wear out, just a spherical rod end.
Pretty sure your not wearing shocks from the torque of the engine.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 AM
brianismyname
New User
Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe your king shocks move around, but the dirt logics are a coilover system, there are no leafsprings, a complete coilover system means the whole weight of the truck is on that spring and dampener, so it shouldn't be moving. The passenger side is snug as a bug. It might be a spherical rod end, i'll have to get in there and take a closer look, but it is puzzling to me that i can easily move the coilover around with my hand.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
The fact that you can move the spring on a coilover suspension means something else is supporting the truck's weight on that side. You need to figure out what is supporting the truck's weight.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
No one has asked yet, but what part of the shock is moving? The housing/body and spring should have a few hundred pounds on it. Depending on how the other end of the spring is attached, the rod could only be under the pressure in the shock. I believe the 4.0 have a resivoir mounted to the side of them. They are probably indexable and my just need a little tightening.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
75F350
Post Fiend
Guys my King coilovers with a 4 link front end moves. Even though the entire weight of the truck is on them, the entire shock body rotates to the limits of the rod ends.
If you grab the piggy back reservoir you should be able to move the entire shock body.
There are no bushings other than the teflon inserts inside of the shock ends to wear. Some less expensive shocks with ball ends do run a bushing outside of the ball end to take up space between the ball and mount, could be binding, but the problem is not in the shock that moves, it is more likely in the shock that does not. Something is binding that one.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
brianismyname
New User
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what to think. I have the four link system as well. It rides great, i was just adjusting and i noticed the drivers side will move if i grab the piggy back reservoir, but the passenger side is really snug. i figure at least they should both be in unison, I.E. both movable or both snug.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
brianismyname
New User
In other words, if i grab the piggy back reservoir, i can move the entire shock body, the spring seems loaded, just the reservoir and housing move.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
brianismyname
New User
the top of the reservoir has the eye where the bolt threads through to attach it to the shock tower. This is all one piece. the eye, piggy back, and shock housing are all together, so this leads me to believe that somthing isn't right if one side moves and the other doesn't.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
brianismyname
New User
just got off the phone from fabtech, the tech guy said not to worry. He said there should be a little play on both, but depending on the mounting of the dirt logic due to different applications, no big deal. he said to worry if somthing is coming out of the housing. I don't know if he was just trying to get me off the phone or what, but i am gonna trust him, if i blow up a shock then i'll know. All in all i love the system, the truck rides better than stock, and looks great. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
That is called the billet end cap, and the reason the reservoir is attached is because it is a "piggyback" reservoir. If it was not attached, it would be a "remote" reservoir.
The billet end that you are refering to does have a 3/4" rod end inside of the body itself. It should move even under load. The bottom mount may not move if the upper billet body rotates on the coil. There is not a mechanical connection between the upper portion of the shock (end cap the blue part), and the bottom. The piston will rotate forever, so you may not see the same movement from the top to the bottom, this is normal.
The top can't have a fixed surface to mount to. If it did, the shock body would break after just a few cycles of the suspension, or at the very least the end cap would bust off.
If there is something binding it, and preventing it from rotating, then you should address it, and find out what is preventing it from moving freely.
Mine come apart as a simple step during maintenance to verify correct operation.
They may come apart every time I return from the dunes or the truck has been in the mud. Easier to clean and cheaper than having to repair.