6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Why the CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Why the CEL?

Ok guys, I need some helpin fixing a CEL. I did the exhaust on the truck and followed every rule. Did custom 4" the whole way back after the DPF/sensors and eliminated the muffler, then used a 5" tip. I did exactly what MBRP did on their system. Everything came out nice and with almost 4k miles on it, not one issue has come up.

So then, I purchased the AFE Pro-Guard 7 intake for the truck. I installed the intake and after about 70 miles I threw a CEL P0401. I re-set the light and it came back again. Next I removed the filter and 1k miles later no more problems. Can anyone here help figure out why I am throwing a CEL with the new filter on? I know plenty of other people with their filter on this exact same truck and not one issue. Also, if you are familiar with this CEL what can I do to fix it? Any help would be great, thanks.

Nick

Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Straight from the 08 pced---po401---estimated egr percent is less than the minimum limit for the operating conditions. Possible causes---AFTERMARKET INTAKE OR EXHAUST SYSTEMS-restricted airflow, intake or exhaust- restricted egr cooler- egr valve position sensor bias- exhaust pressure sensor bias-map sensor bias- egr valve

Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
Straight from the 08 pced---po401---estimated egr percent is less than the minimum limit for the operating conditions. Possible causes---AFTERMARKET INTAKE OR EXHAUST SYSTEMS-restricted airflow, intake or exhaust- restricted egr cooler- egr valve position sensor bias- exhaust pressure sensor bias-map sensor bias- egr valve
I understand what the code reads. My question is why would my truck throw the CEL when other with the same set up have no isses? If anything I have allowed the truck to breath better by opening up the exhaust as well as the intake I would think.

Nick

Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cHiLi 11
I understand what the code reads. My question is why would my truck throw the CEL when other with the same set up have no isses? If anything I have allowed the truck to breath better by opening up the exhaust as well as the intake I would think.

Nick
Looks to me like yours is doing the right thing. Maybe theres something wrong with the other truck. Your changes have your truck operating outside perameters that are optimal for your truck.