Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Coil Packs off eBay? Anyone try them?

Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Packs off eBay? Anyone try them?

I'm hitting close to 100K and the coil packs are dying off so I thought I'd replace them all with fresh ones. Don't really want to spend the $60 clams plus unless I have to.... but I have seen several guys on eBay selling them. Any info on these coil packs will be much appreciated. Most everything is made overseas anyway so why not save a buck or several on coil packs as well? I tried a search and didn't come up with any info so sorry if this is an old beaten up topic. I'm betting someone here has tried them or knows a source to purchase them from that is reliable.

Thanks, rpb

Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
what makes you think at 100k they are bad? being solid state electronics they do not lose their power. they either work or they don't. also the stock ones are made by VISTEON in U.S.A .

Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
I replaced two coils already over the last 25K or so miles and now my computer is spitting out another code to my Actron scanner. Sorry, I don't have the code handy but it was pointing to misfire. I changed plugs last week and noticed the boots were looking pretty shabby. Loaded the boots up with dielectrical grease and reinstalled. Fixed the misfire for a few days and now it's back. I'm running this truck to hell and back so I wanted to freshen her up a little. Otherwise everything else is premo.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:05 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
also the stock ones are made by VISTEON in U.S.A .
Sorry... I must have been thinking about my Harley's parts...

Old 02-15-2006, 12:02 AM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
I've been eyeing those Granatelli replacements... since we don't have a wide array of high power available upgrades, like low resistance wires or big voltage coils, those replacements start looking pretty good. By the way, a set of 8 will run around $425. That's less than what you'd pay to replace all 8 with a factory set.

-Kerry

Old 02-15-2006, 03:34 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
that still ends up being 3.00 more than oem. but still a good buy. but the reliability of their products is not the best. you can get oem VISTEON coils for 50.00 each.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
The eBay coils may be fine, but you just can't be sure. Given that you're replacing them prematurely to prevent problems, I don't think you'd want to take that chance.

E-Bay has often provided a sales path for old stock or even recalled items. We know that the COPs have been a weak link and I believe Ford has done some upgrading. In your situation, I would want to get the latest Ford design or I wouldn't bother.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:22 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you checked out your local Napa? I may be mistaken, but I thought that they had COPS for right around $30 a pop.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:12 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Everybody I checked in DFW had them for $45 plus.... I found a guy on eBay that is selling them to fleet taxi services and having good luck. Got eight for $100 bucks. If they work out, I'll let you know. The guy told me they are imported but made in a Delphi plant in Puerto Rico???? Who knows... they might just work. If they take me to 165K I'm happy, If not... then I guess I learned a $100 dollar lesson. I'm willing to take the chance. I'm starting to thinkk Ford parts are actually more expensive than Harley parts....

Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
DubWerkz Detail
New User
Everybody I checked in DFW had them for $45 plus.... I found a guy on eBay that is selling them to fleet taxi services and having good luck. Got eight for $100 bucks. If they work out, I'll let you know. The guy told me they are imported but made in a Delphi plant in Puerto Rico???? Who knows... they might just work. If they take me to 165K I'm happy, If not... then I guess I learned a $100 dollar lesson. I'm willing to take the chance. I'm starting to thinkk Ford parts are actually more expensive than Harley parts....

So how did this work out for you? I'm curious since I'm in the same boat needing to replace my cops. Thanks

Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DubWerkz Detail
So how did this work out for you? I'm curious since I'm in the same boat needing to replace my cops. Thanks
I should have them in a day or two. Plan to pop them in pretty quick as my truck is starting to idle like my bike. I'll post by the weekend after I've had a few miles on them. Funny thing, I sent emails to a couple of the other guys and one guy told me his were Motorcraft but he couldn't advertise as such and that's understandable and the other guy told me his were Visteon (same thing) but couldn't advertise his brand either. I just can't see it cost effective for Ford not to sub these out to a foreign country to manufacture. I would think they would cost even more if made in the US.

The guy I'm getting mine from said he had bought a bunch from Singapore and he had a lot of trouble with them. So he started selling these that he claims come from a Delphi plant in Puerto Rico. He say's he's been selling them to Taxi Fleet services with no problems. frankly I don't give a crap if this truck has Chevy parts in it as long as it runs from point A to point B. As for the country of origin, they can be made in Guadalajara by child labor as long as they work for all I care.

Don't worry, If they work I'll give you the guys info.

rpb

Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
The coils themselves don't usually go bad.

It's the rubber boot that degrades from heat, etc and causes many of the misfires.

You can replace the boots when you replace your plugs. Use some dielectric grease to seal out moisture.

The coil boots run about $3-4 each and are available through autoparts stores.

Steve

Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
DubWerkz Detail
New User
The coils themselves don't usually go bad.

It's the rubber boot that degrades from heat, etc and causes many of the misfires.

You can replace the boots when you replace your plugs. Use some dielectric grease to seal out moisture.

The coil boots run about $3-4 each and are available through autoparts stores.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks and good info I'll try this since its cheaper and sounds efficient.
Good looking out.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 PM
EagleDakota
Senior User
rpbrock - How did these e-bay COP's work out for you?

Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 AM
rpbrock
Freshman User
Guys, the COPs I bought have been working flawlessly since I installed them back in February. The quality is as good or better than MoCo. I couldn't tell the difference side by side. I'm a happy camper! I'm convinced they are made by the same supplier that makes them for Ford. Best $100 bucks I ever spent on the truck. I highly encourage you to give them a try. The eBay store I got them from is run by a guy named "jobberonline". Also, here's his email, htap@bellsouth.net.

Here's the URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...B:EOIBSA:MT:11

Good luck.
rpb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coil Packs off eBay? Anyone try them?