PSD or Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD or Cummins

Ok let me set up another Q&A:
I drove 3 F250's and 1 Dodge Cummins today. For me the F250 was much quicker than the Cummins. Both are rated to tow 13000#. The Quadcab had "enough" room but the F250 Supercrews were hugh!

Question: what would YOU buy? Are 06 and 07 6.0's without the problems that came out with the 03s?

I put this out on a Cummins forum a while back and they have a lot of responses. It is not as busy as FTE, but reasonable.

Last edited by Fifty4F100; 08-03-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
toolman05kr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerstroke, hands down. I see alot more dodge cummins in my shop for problems then powerstrokes. Ford & Powerstroke, the only way to go, IMHO.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
FordSVTCobra
Senior User
The Cummins is a nice motor. I can't get into the styling of the Ram though.

To me, Ford makes the best overall truck and in the looks department it's not even close.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Sader1234
Freshman User
PSD all the way. I have a some firends with the cummins/dodge and while the engine is great the rest of the dodge just isn't as good as the ford body.
I have an 05 PSD with no problems so far. This is my second 6.0L and my third ford diesel. All have been very good to me. The Cummins MAY be a Marginally better engine(arguable), but when you look at the overall build quality of the truck, it's fairly obvious, F-250 hands down. It's just built better! JMO;-)

Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
What will you be using it for?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for most anything you buy a light duty pickup for, all 3(4) diesel trucks will do you fine, everywhere you ask you'll get the guys who love fords being biased to fords, same for dodge chev and gmc, my powerstroke works just as good and tows just as much as my friends duramax and cummins, the guy who had the most problems was the guy with the duramax but he sold it for a titan hahaha

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by UGA33
What will you be using it for?
Mostly to upgrade from the small travel trailer we now have to a 10000# 5th wheel we've looked at.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Fifty4,
I just found and read through your thread on that Dodge Forum. Wow, some of those guys really don't like Ford. Geeze...
No matter where you go, you will get people who try to justify how "smart" they are for choosing what they chose to purchase. It's an ego thing.

The following is only my understanding of how to best answer your question, without being biassed toward any particular manufacturer. Just my opinion...

If you go with the Cummins, I think you would be best to go with a 5.9, rather than the 6.7. It seems that they are experiencing some significant problems with that new Cummins Engine, as any manufacturer will experience when they finally get their head out of their posterior and fess up to EPA regs. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all happy with what the EPA is doing to our trucks. We spend darned good money for what we expect will be a fine piece of machinery, only to be disappointed by inheriting the frustrations of auto maker' choking on latest mandates in EPA laws.

Dodge/Cummins held out for as long as they could, maintaining the old reliable 5.9, thumbing their nose at EPA. Eventually, the time came where they had to buck up and meet compliance.
Ford got a jump on Dodge, trying to meet compliance, and paid dearly with the bad reputation they acquired from their efforts to meet new regs. They eventually got it together, when they figured out how to beat the problems of the new high tech engines, but suffered none the less in the process. But now I'm thinking that Ford is ahead in the new technology game, IMO, and should be showing their stuff as Dodge is struggling to catch up.

Long story short, If I was looking at a 6.0, I would buy one that was built after the first couple years of growing pains. Maybe 05 - 07. If your looking at the 6.4, I believe they are doing well. Maybe just consider giving them just a little longer to see how they hold up, but they seem to be doing well so far. If considering the Cummins, I would definately go for the 5.9. I have heard of some still being available at a couple of Dodge Dealerships. If it were me, I'd avoid the 6.7 like the plague for now, until Dodge gets through the same BS Ford experienced in the early 6.0 run.

As far as Chevy in concerned, I am under the impression that GM is kind of whimpy, with regards to the suspention. Since your looking for something to tow with, I would steer clear of that one. Of course, I don't know first hand about GM, but that is what I have heard. You'll have to research that one, I suppose.

Good Luck on purchasing your new truck. I hope you are happy with the one you choose.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
This is off topic but maybe it will help your choice a little. Which motor feel's like it has more power? 5.9 or 6.7? Youd think the with 5.9 being such a hoss that a 6.7 cummins would be a monster. Or maybe I should ask this, witch one pulls harder under load? Since that is were you find out what the motor is made of.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 PM
daddgonemadd
Senior User
Most important to me is that the Dodge feels cramped inside to me. I'm 6'2 210 though. Also, I haven't been in one of the new Mega cabs, but the original four door Dodge was no comparison to the Ford.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
This is off topic but maybe it will help your choice a little. Which motor feel's like it has more power? 5.9 or 6.7? Youd think the with 5.9 being such a hoss that a 6.7 cummins would be a monster. Or maybe I should ask this, witch one pulls harder under load? Since that is were you find out what the motor is made of.
The 04 Dodge that I drove was a 5.9. So far all of the new Dodge trucks with the 6.7's are way too expensive. I did drive a 08 F250 with 6.4 PSD. I was disappointed at its take off. It might tow as much or more, but it didn't perform nearly as well as most of the 6.0's that I have got to drive.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Fifty4,
I just found and read through your thread on that Dodge Forum. Wow, some of those guys really don't like Ford. Geeze...
No matter where you go, you will get people who try to justify how "smart" they are for choosing what they chose to purchase. It's an ego thing.

The following is only my understanding of how to best answer your question, without being biassed toward any particular manufacturer. Just my opinion...

If you go with the Cummins, I think you would be best to go with a 5.9, rather than the 6.7. It seems that they are experiencing some significant problems with that new Cummins Engine, as any manufacturer will experience when they finally get their head out of their posterior and fess up to EPA regs. Don't get me wrong, I am not at all happy with what the EPA is doing to our trucks. We spend darned good money for what we expect will be a fine piece of machinery, only to be disappointed by inheriting the frustrations of auto maker' choking on latest mandates in EPA laws.

Dodge/Cummins held out for as long as they could, maintaining the old reliable 5.9, thumbing their nose at EPA. Eventually, the time came where they had to buck up and meet compliance.
Ford got a jump on Dodge, trying to meet compliance, and paid dearly with the bad reputation they acquired from their efforts to meet new regs. They eventually got it together, when they figured out how to beat the problems of the new high tech engines, but suffered none the less in the process. But now I'm thinking that Ford is ahead in the new technology game, IMO, and should be showing their stuff as Dodge is struggling to catch up.

Long story short, If I was looking at a 6.0, I would buy one that was built after the first couple years of growing pains. Maybe 05 - 07. If your looking at the 6.4, I believe they are doing well. Maybe just consider giving them just a little longer to see how they hold up, but they seem to be doing well so far. If considering the Cummins, I would definately go for the 5.9. I have heard of some still being available at a couple of Dodge Dealerships. If it were me, I'd avoid the 6.7 like the plague for now, until Dodge gets through the same BS Ford experienced in the early 6.0 run.

As far as Chevy in concerned, I am under the impression that GM is kind of whimpy, with regards to the suspention. Since your looking for something to tow with, I would steer clear of that one. Of course, I don't know first hand about GM, but that is what I have heard. You'll have to research that one, I suppose.

Good Luck on purchasing your new truck. I hope you are happy with the one you choose.
I won't add much to this. Check out the latest posts!
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ge...tml#post273976
Start at post #93! At least one really dislikes ME!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:03 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Probably should leave well enough alone over there Glenn, and hold off on posting too much for a while. You never know, you might end up buying one of those Dodge 6.7's, and need those guys' help some day for your own nightmare. Don't want to ****'em off too bad eh?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
Probably should leave well enough alone over there Glenn, and hold off on posting too much for a while. You never know, you might end up buying one of those Dodge 6.7's, and need those guys' help some day for your own nightmare. Don't want to ****'em off too bad eh?
They aren't doing Dodge any favors! I think I'll pass on the Cummins just so I can stay over here with civilized men and not bratty boys whose momma bought them the cheapest truck she could find!! I've already asked the moderator and the forum manager to remove me from the list. I also sent a nasty email to the company that was advertising in that posts header!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Pance
New User
Originally Posted by Fifty4F100
They aren't doing Dodge any favors! I think I'll pass on the Cummins just so I can stay over here with civilized men and not bratty boys whose momma bought them the cheapest truck she could find!! I've already asked the moderator and the forum manager to remove me from the list. I also sent a nasty email to the company that was advertising in that posts header!
Now now, We're not all that way. I used to be on cumminsforum, but i left and that was precisely the reason why. too much BS and pissing contests. If you want a good dodge forum, Dieselram is the best, that's where i spend most of my time.

As for you choices I'm sure either will hold up well. I'm a dodge man so of course that's what i'd go with. With those new common rails and if you get a stick you'll easily get 20-22 mpg empty (assuming they're 3.73 gears) and 16-18 mpg pulling, and if you're going to start to bomb these, they'll handle the power better IMO.

Quick Reply: PSD or Cummins