Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

97 - F350 Brake Problem/help??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
truszip
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 - F350 Brake Problem/help??

Had some brake problems with my 97 F350 diesel. I thought I had a faulty master cylinder so replaced it and thought I'd better check on the rear brakes while I was at it. What I found was although the truck only had like forty thousand miles on it the rear shoe's were worn right off to the point of metal to metal. Truck still stopped fine, or as good as it could with a soft pedal and with it being a diesel I didn't hear or notice anything? Anyway - replaced everything in the rear including an entire new spring kit. Bled the thing so all new fluid was now in the lines, checked the workings of the system of coarse and all seemed to work fine. Took the truck out on the weekend on about an hours drive pulling my enclosed car hauler trailer and when I stopped at where I was going, I thought I could smell burning brakes? I put my hand on the rear rims and they were hot. Although I adjusted them to what I thought was correct, I thought maybe they weren't loose enough. When I took the rear drums off today, they came off very easily?? So I'm thinking adjustment must be right? Anyway - I take the drums off and the shoes without the emergency cable attached to it was indeed worn? I checked the hydraulic system and it all seems to work, the shoe's return normally once the brake pedal is released, so I'm thinking what the?? I've got the thing up on stands so I start it up and put it in drive, what I noticed was that the brakes stop the tire from turning fine but every once in a while it'll take putting the pedal almost right to the floor and it still won't stop the wheel from turning? If I use the emergency brake it's like it re-sets it and it'll work for a time again and then start intermittently stopping again. What I also noticed was that when I'm having to push right to the floor the pedal goes down in steps rather than a smooth continuous decline as it did with the old master cylinder? I'm thinking anti - lock?? But when the brakes are working normally you can't push them any further down than normal and it has a firm hard pedal stopping the tires with no problem. In any case - no matter either scenario the brake shoes always seem to go back and the wheel turns freely so I'm not sure what was causing it to bind up. Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.