2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cb antenna options

Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 AM
pepito113
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cb antenna options

I was wondering where people were mounting there cb antenna on the truck. I have a roll n lock. So I dont want to install it inside the bed. Any ideas would be great.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Corey872
Senior User
Top-center of the cab would provide a nice high point for clear reception and the metal cab roof would provide an excellent ground plane. Or I guess you could go with a "NGP" (no ground plane) antenna which could be mounted about anywhere - but still, the higher and less blocked in the antenna is, the better.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 AM
black04lariat
Elder User
I have one that looks like a cell phone antenna and mounts to the window. Looks nice.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 AM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Black who makes that antenna. Does it seem to work pretty good?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
OBX- I have the one in the link. It worked alright but I think something was up with my cb so I honestly never used it after I put it on. Looks much nicer than the big antennas. I thought about a magnetic roof mount antenna, but decided on this one instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-AntennaW.../dp/B0007WRQJE

Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM
pepito113
Senior User
I really dont want to use the magnetic antenna because over time they can scratch the paint. so that would be my last choice.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Yeah I am in the same boat as you. I have had them on some vehicles and they have scratched them. I have a big whip antenna on my old truck mounted to the bed that I love but im not drilling into this truck. I just bought a new toolbox to and don't really feel like drilling into it quite yet earlier. I am really leaning towards those window mounts. I no they do not have that great of distance compared to others but I will be doing mostly close communications now. Decisions decisions.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
While I was out changing my oil I thought of this if you are worried about your paint and the magnetic ones if that is the look you guys want. Get a magentic sign (I am talking about something like those breast cancer magnets you see on cars. Not that shape but that material in a square big enough to cover the base of your cb magnet.) Place that down first and then your cb magnet on that so that if it scratches that you can throw it away when done vs. having tons of scratches on your roof. I dont know, just an idea. I wish I woulda and probably will do that for my Sirius Antenna. It is scratching my roof up a bit.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
This is the only picture of what I have. It doesnt have the antenna screwed on to it but you get the idea.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:52 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
whichever brand you decide to go with, be sure to get it tuned to your cb. if you want to get extra distance, you can buy an amp for them as well.... but i think that 4watts is the legal limit.... i had a buddy with a 25 watter, and he could fry your radio if you keyed at the same time. kinda neat. i used to use firestick whips. but, the antenna is only its best if tuned to the radio.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 AM
DR RPM
New User
Firestik makes a fender mount as well. I do not want a magnetic mount either.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
RadarRick
Junior User
cb/ham radio antenna mount options

Several areas of concern and some comments.

1. Glass mount antennas are at best average. When the power levels are above 10 watts, RF happens (more so that normal). Not good for some newer vehicles. Also, if you have any metal in the glass (heater, antenna, glass makeup, etc.) this is not a good option at all. If you are just trying to access the local VHF/UHF ham repeaters this can be a acceptable solution but most other options provide a better solution.

2. With CB, HF and VHF/UHF radios that transmit, grounding is very important to the efficiency of the radio transmit and receive. The shorter the grounding straps, the better. The difference between a 12 inch length and a 30 inch length ground strap (not a #18 wire either) is the difference between able to transmit and not transmit. The strap MUST be attached to the bare metal frame or body if the body has direct connection to the frame. Watch out for rubber or plastic 'pieces' between the body and the frame. Everything must be grounded in the radio system....power leads, radio, antenna, amps, etc. This means every devise must have its own seperate ground strap. Check the ground connections (especially outside ones) monthly or as needed.

3. In most cases in mobile situations, a good antenna (properly grounded) is the most important thing. The difference between a 1/4 wave and a 1/2 wave can be significant. Again, if you are just trying to access the local repeaters, this will not be much of a concern. But if you are CBing or HFing, or VHF/UHF simplexing, a good antenna is extremely inportant (as is the ground). Position on the vehicle is also important for the best efficiency. Most antenna manafacturers will explain this. Usually a good ground plane is good (center mounted on the vehicle roof) but the new screw antennas (Carolina or High Sierra) antennas can be bumper mounted with excellent results.

4. Mag mounts are the best option for many people. To prevent scratching concerns, wax the area like mad with several coats. They make a mag mount teflon product cut to the size of the base mount. This product goes between the mag mount and the body of the vehicle. You can also use very thin fabric cut to shape, thin plastic bag, tape, etc. Remember that the coax will move a little in the wind, protect the paint from this also.

5. Lip mounts are a good solution also. Not really designed for large antennas, but 1/2 wave 2 meter antennas are perfect.

Have I mentioned PROPER grounding. Let me also mention monthly inspections of the entire system and preventive maintenance. Keep the connections clean and free of corrosion. Remove the mag mount protection teflon, frabric, plastic and wash and wax area, let it dry out, etc.

Visit a ham radio supply place for the products. Google these places.

Amateur Electronic Supply
Ham Radio Outlet
Universal Radio

http://www.eham.net has product reviews for many amateur radio products and a good place for a wealth of information and links.

Good Luck,

N8PDQ

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
STXDriver
Junior User
Some people make a bracket that come out from under the rear bumper with a CB antenna mount attached. All of the hole drilling if any is hidden under the rear bumper.

Take a look at these bracket. All you need with one of these is a mounting bracket that fastens to the bottom side of the bumper or frame.

http://www.walcottcb.com/index.php?cPath=115

Lot of Ham Operators do this.

Last edited by STXDriver; 08-06-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
I have a mag mount on my old truck, just used a very thin piece of rubber under it and it hasnt scratched. Go to a good radio shop and they will set you up. You will have to have the antennae "metered" for length for optimum performance. I have found that the little "shorty" buggers dont do as well as a good whip if you want distance. And where it is mounted on the vehicle is a big thing too, best is up top and on the roof where it can shoot a signal in any direction using the truck body itself.