Water/Alcohol injection (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water/Alcohol injection (finally)

For those that don’t know my application, it is a 2000 Lincoln Navigator with Kenne Bell’s TS 5001 kit. I love to get the most out of something and I simply feel I’ve reached my limits relative to 93 octane pump gas. For those that know, the Intech motor starts with a 9.5:1 compression ratio; not really the best start for a boosted application. Further, I know of no commercially available intercooler for my specific application, which eliminates my ability to produce a cooler intake charge (unless you’re Frederic in which case he would just build one). Over time I have considered a number of changes: first a dual fuel system (perhaps using a five gallon auxiliary tank) and second and E85-Only fuel system. I nixed the former given the engineering/fabrication challenges and the latter given spotty availability of E85.

I have known about water injection for years. In fact I used a home fabbed unit on one of my first vehicles, a Datsun 240Z with an AiResearch T05. (Can you say turbo-lag? But when it spooled up, boy was that fun.) Today, I’m a bit more particular about the usability of the application given that the vehicle is used in varying driving circumstances: I might be hauling a load up steep grades, or I might be surprising a new GT Mustang in the next lane. I refuse to accept that I cannot have it all and to do so without some exotic engineering or outrageous fuel prices. (It really is a pain keeping your foot out of it or ferrying fuel from the local airport.)

If you notice at the top of the page, there is a group kind enough to sponsor this forum: http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com. I went to their web site and researched their products and found what I think I am looking for; a fully tunable progressive water/methanol injection system kit. I have their ‘Stage 2’ kit on the way and am looking forward to sharing my experience with you. (Here’s a couple of past experiences: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...scouraged.html and https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...your-mind.html.)

So, take a look at their web site and prepare for my questions!

P.S. I doubt he’ll read this but Ken’s (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...fte%2Bken.html) *** is mine.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get one a lot cheaper from Snow Performance.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Yes, one of my racer friends uses that brand. He was green with envy though when I told him what I had on the way.

BTW can you share any of your experiences?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Well I had a snow stage 2 kit on my truck when I had a little Eaton M90 AED kit.
The blower kit came with 5 PSI and I needed the snow kit when I upped the boost to 10&1/2 PSI.
Then I had it on my K B 2.2 with no intercooler( that thing put out some heat)it was junk.Sent it back and traded it for a 2.3 Lightning upgrade blower.Did the L conversion and sold the M112.The intercooler on the L works so well ,my tuner said I didn't need the snow kit anymore and I sold it to his brother.
The water/meth kits work very well and with the right tuning you can get 60 to 80 HP out of them.Some say more.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Thanks Phil, where did you place the nozzle on the KB? I'm think just south of the TB, but I'll wait until I read their instructions.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
I had it in the intake tube about 6 inches in front of the throttle body.
It had the adjustable boost controlled injection. had it set to come on at 3 PSI.
I ran a 50/50 mix of meth and distilled water.
Some say you can run the windshield washer fluid but I wasn't running that crap through my motor....lol.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 AM
AIS
Freshman User
We are definitely looking forward to getting this stage 2 kit to hkiefus.

Kenny Duttweiler just finished reviewing our system and loved it. He had 'the other' system (I'm going to have to leave the competitor's name out of this post) in the shop and he and his crew definitely preferred ours. If you're not familiar with Kenny I would recommend Googling his name... he is literally a turbo legend and still holds the record for the highest horsepower V6 Buick Grand National turbo motor.

This month our system will be running at Bonneville. Our system is installed on the world's fastest production car... 303MPH!!!... and we are expecting that record to be beat again this year!!!! You can view the car here... http://helipowerservice.com/_wsn/page5.html (I know, I know... it's not a Ford but it's still a crazy fast car )

I wanted to take a moment to address the windshield washer fluid concern. There truly isn't any problem with running it. A lot of concern comes from the detergents; however, you would be surprised at how many detergents are put into the fuel we all purchase. In addition, when you perform a fuel system flush there are typically detergents in the 'cleanser' as well.

BUT...

At this point there may be reason to believe that straight distilled water provides the maximum air charge cooling and system benefits. We are currently researching this so we haven't made any final conclusions yet; however, based on water's physical properties (sure am glad I took chemistry in college... haha) it has the greatest ability to absorb heat in comparison to most other compounds. The only issue with using straight water is that it freezes during the winter (if you live in a region that gets cold enough). Creating a mix of water and methanol (at least 20% meth) will prevent the water from freezing during the winter time.

So for street applications we recommend using a water/meth mix. Since washer fluid is an extremely cheap and readily available source of a methanol/water mix (about 20 - 30% meth), we will recommend it to most of our customers. We recently had a 96 Ford Thunderbird pick up 50 horsepower and cool his air charge by 80 degrees using washer fluid.

I do agree with phil's placement of the injector and have no objection to the methanol/water mix he ran. I wouldn't run any mix greater than 50/50 though. The mix becomes flammable if the mix contains any more alcohol (methanol).

- Nathan

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Its here! But sadly I have to go work on other things right now. Hopefully, I'll get a few pictures up later.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by hkiefus
Its here! But sadly I have to go work on other things right now. Hopefully, I'll get a few pictures up later.
Keep us posted. I've been pondering something like this instead of race fuel being that my truck is anything but a race truck.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Well, here's the kit:

The tank and pump assembly:

And the nozzles (and other parts):

I’ve had an opportunity to read the instructions, but I have a few questions before proceeding. I ordered the ‘in-trunk’ kit; however I have my heart set on mounting the tank under the front fascia. If you look closely at the second photograph (I apologize for the poor quality) you can see the controller (the box with the red and blue *****). The instructions discourage mounting this under the hood, so I’ll have to order/fabricate an extension cable to locate it inside the cabin (I like more *****/buttons). The kit comes with 3 nozzles, two appear to have a larger orifice of the same size while the third is smaller. The documentation provides no specific guidance on which nozzle(s) to use, so I’ll call tomorrow to get a specific answer. It seems that most folks have installed their nozzle in the tube upstream of the throttle body. For those of you familiar with the Kenne Bell kit, this tube is injection molded and kind of ‘light weight’, so I’ll take some time to consider alternate locations. (There’s sufficient area downstream from the throttle body just behind the SC intake and this is a thick casting, so that’s my plan for the time being.) The nozzles themselves are kind of interesting, there is a filter screen the screws into the threaded body and there seems to be a check valve of sorts between the screen and the orifice. Of course when I disassembled it, it fell out so I have to figure out which way it goes back in (remember turning your first disassembled carburetor over and having to figure out where all those ***** and springs went?)

So here we go! I’ve got some really good tuning questions but I’ll leave those for another time.

Last edited by hkiefus; 08-12-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I'll be waitin'.

Post some before and after logs of your charge temp readings if it's possible.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Here is my 2000 Lincoln Navigator with the Kenne Bell supercharger. This one has the Intech motor (4 cam) with a base 9.5:1 compression ratio that can certainly benefit from Methanol/Water Injection. It’s hard to tell from this picture, but there’s no practical opportunity for an intercooler; a primary consideration for the AIS kit. I put the 6lb pulley back on and that’s what we’ll start with.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:26 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
One of the first considerations is the location of the pump and tank assembly:

The one I have here is designed to be mounted in the cargo area of the vehicle:

FTE Herman
Post Fiend
There’s plenty of room back there, but I still had to think about it a bit. I have and want to continue to use the 3rd row seat as well as a cargo carrier that is tailored fit behind it. That took the ‘behind the third row seat’ option out of the picture. There are a couple of other areas that the tank/pump assembly could have been installed; there’s a place underneath the vehicle behind each rear tire that looked like it could house a decent sized container. However, filling to that location would be difficult if not impossible. There is also a nice area behind the front fascia that could hold a tank, but it would have to be custom blow molded. If you choose to mount the tank/pump assembly out in the ‘elements’, you will need to relocate the progressive controller to the inside of the vehicle. Not wanting to tinker with it too much right now I chose to install the tank and pump assembly right behind the second row’s center console:

FTE Herman
Post Fiend
I wanted to see how the system worked before I installed all of the components, so I set up a ‘bench’ (fender?) test:

All you need to do is plug in one end of either line into the pump’s outlet and the other end into one of the nozzles. I then connected the power to the battery with a couple of jumpers and filled the tank with some water. To get it to flow, you turn the initiator (green) **** to its lowest setting and apply some low pressure air to the inlet on the side of the controller. I had a little trouble getting it to flow at first, I removed the check valve to prime the pump itself and all was well.

Last edited by hkiefus; 08-25-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Water/Alcohol injection (finally)