Help with 302 that has been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 10:55 AM
niteowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
I have a 302 out of an 83 Mustang GT that I would like to put into my 60 F100.

This engine has been sitting for over two years in the back of a garage and has not been turned over. What advice can you give me for getting this engine prepped to install quickly?

My mechanic gave me a can of Zep to spray into the cylinders and help disolve any rust that may have built up during the long sit. I have been told that I should spray it in and wait a couple days for it to do it's job before trying to manually turn over the engine.

Is there any more advice before I do this? This is an engine with supposedly 75,000 on it. I would like to get it in and running as quickly as possible so I can move the truck to a better location for the winter and get it out of the way of the plow truck.

Should I roll the engine over on it's side after to drain out any leftover fluid once the Zep has done it's job and maybe spray it again to get it as clean as possible?
Any other approaches I should take?
I know that once I have the engine installed and begin getting ready to try and start it I should preoil the engine as well. What would be the best method to do that as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I just hope the engine has not seized up tight from sitting.

Old 09-28-2000, 09:51 PM
krausstv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts