1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Compare 7.3 PSD response with Gas engine.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
TayzGpa
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compare 7.3 PSD response with Gas engine.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 PSD. It is in excellent condition with a Painless power module and multiple cosmetic mods, remote starter,etc. Got 96000 miles on it. It's a great truck.

Anyway, previous to this I drove a 2001 Dodge RAM 1500 gas truck. I have noticed that the Ford diesel seems sluggish when you step on the accelerator when compared to the gas Dodge. Is this normal for a diesel engine. I know nothing about diesels (and very little about gas) engines. It just seems that the Dodge was much more "responsive" when you pressed on the accelerator.
The same goes for my mini-van. Seems more responsive than the Ford diesel.

I can say that when I am towing my 5th wheel (6200 lbs), the Ford power is just fine. No problem towing at all. It just seems sluggish on the acceleration.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Well, this can be fixed if you want...as in a chip!!!

The diesel engine takes a little while when stock to build enough boost from the turbo to get moving. These are pretty darn heavy vehicles by the way so they wont just leap out there (again, when stock) like a dodge/chevy gasser. I see you already noticed it seems fine when pulling and then is because your turbo is "spooling up" with enough pressure to get you going. So to answer your question, yes it is normal.

Now, if you want to make it responsive, you can add an open element intake, some bigger exhaust, a chip and BAM! off you go. I will give you a very fair warning...once you start, I doubt you can stop. I know I cant. Of course then you also need gauges to keep an eye on all this stuff. Read the top of the forum for common mods and maintenace if this interests you...

Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Bird Dog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A diesel will never have the throttle responce that of a gasser. A DP tunner chip will get you darn close. On 80 hp econo the throttle responce in my book is AWESOME!!! There are a lot of mods that need to be done before the chip though. You had better deside how much you are willing to spend. Sky's the limit. Watch out... it is very addicting.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
The painless power module you refer to is a very simple and inexpensive ICP fooler (18K mod). It is probably netting you about 30hp over stock. since the turbo on a PSD uses exhaust gasses through the up pipes to spin the compressor (think: a headerpipe blowing a pinwheel, hooked to a blower, forcing air into engine) it takes a few seconds for the volume of exhuast to spin the turbo fast enough to make make boost(forced induction) and then the High pressure oil pump is gear driven(thats what runs the injectors) so it takes a second or two for everything to catch up with the ol lead foot.

Like lariat and Bird dog said earlier the DP tuner F-5 is probably one of the most refined and reliable chips out there. It is basically custom tuning for the masses. Jody& Diane (the owners of DP) live, eat, and breathe diesels. They use their own vehicles as test beds and give us the good stuff.
First add open air filter (NO K&N) and a larger exhaust, then add some guages (pyrometer, boost, tranny temp), then add the tunes. you will not be dissapointed.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird Dog
A diesel will never have the throttle responce that of a gasser.
Not true. Most of the gassers I drive feel like a dead stick compared to my PSD. Bend the tab on the pedal to get off the IVS earlier and tweak the TPS and the fly by wire PSD will have at least as much throttle response....maybe more than you want.

Of course.....a chip, turbo and injectors helps too

Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM
TayzGpa
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cookie88
Not true. Most of the gassers I drive feel like a dead stick compared to my PSD. Bend the tab on the pedal to get off the IVS earlier and tweak the TPS and the fly by wire PSD will have at least as much throttle response....maybe more than you want.

Of course.....a chip, turbo and injectors helps too
I feel like the caveman in the Geico commercial. "Yeah, I have a response..... Uh...... What!?"

You guys are great. Thanks for the information. I guess I'll keep the chip. Was thinking about removing it. The guy I bought it from ran it on a power level of 5 most of the time. I have it set on 2. I also talked to a fellow that replaced his stock exhaust with 4" pipes. Said it gave him more power, but he thinks it adversley affected his gas mileage. I just wish I knew more about diesel engines.

Thanks again.

P.S. Is there anywhere that I can go that will show how to do some of these "mods"?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-mods-etc.html

Click on this link, you will be good to go for awhile. Ask all the questions you need, we are all here for the love of our trucks, and dont seem to tire easily when it comes to helping another stroker.

Last edited by Powerstrokedlariat; 07-30-2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: messed up the link
Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep -- Guzzle's site is about the best out there...
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/

Also check out:
http://www.7point3.com/

You've already been warned, though -- this stuff can be very addictive. I started in Feb of this year (bought the truck in Jan) and haven't stopped since....

Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
On a stock truck, you have to wait for the turbo to spool up. It's called turbo lag. A gas engine with a turbo acts the same, to a lesser degree. Not much power until the turbo hits.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM
misterfisher
Tuned
Just stick a DP chip with guages on, totally different truck. A stock 7.3 PSD is pretty boring when you are not towing.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:29 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
It's all in the programming. A stock 7.3 will sorta crawl off the line. Hop in one with some tuning, like a DP tune with lots of tip-in fuel, and it really JUMPS off the line, hard! The accelerator is sometimes a little too touchy.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
TayzGpa
Mountain Pass
Ok, so, would you recommend that I remove the Painless module that came with the truck, and get a DP chip (with gages)? If so, what's the cost and is that something I can install myself? Also, what will that do to the fuel economy (assuming nothing else changes)?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Hope ya don't mind if I just supply you with some links....

Installing a chip and gauges is a piece of cake, especially with the awesome writeups folks have done, such as this one from guzzle92 for the chip install:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/dptune.html

And this video from Maintain:
http://www.dieselmovies.com/view_vid...163467c9dae521

And a gauge writeup from Diesel Manor:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-...73gauge-p1.htm

www.dp-tuner.com has everything you need to know about the chip, pricing, etc.

Fuel mileage... well, most folks agree that a good chip will improve mileage over stock by maybe 1-2 mpg at most. Unfortunately, you're likely to keep your right foot to the floor for the first several months, so mileage may suffer initially.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 AM
TayzGpa
Mountain Pass
I really appreciate all of the info.
Thanks everyone.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
TayzGpa,
See what you started! Guys that love diesels will rattle on, and on (kinda like a diesel) you get it! If I type faster I would have paragraphs to speak on about my beloved 7.3 and the mods, OHHHH the MODS, I LOVE MODS, gimmme more mods. see ya got me going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rich

Quick Reply: Compare 7.3 PSD response with Gas engine.