Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Southwest Region Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM
New User

classicrock_fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
1990 Ford Ranger

The calipers on my truck are stuck to the drum. I drove 7hours with it like that. i am afraid the truck is really messed up. I took it to just brakes and they told me it would cost 1200 to fix it. will i need new rotors, as well as calipers? will i need a new drum also? Will i be able to fix it myself, or do i need machines to help me fix it? how much do u think it would cost?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 PM
New User

abqjohn is starting off with a positive reputation.
You're confusing me, because you say drum & rotor interchangeably...

Front brakes or rear brakes? Fronts are usually rotor & caliper & brake pads, rears are usually drum, wheel cylinder & brake shoes.

You can probably completely replace EVERYTHING front and rear for a couple hundred bucks in parts. This would include the calipers & wheel cylinders, shoes & pads, bearings & a seal for the drum, if needed, hardware kits (springs & the like), brake cleaner, grease to repack the bearing (if needed) - EVERYTHING.

If you do not yet have one, get a repair manual. Factory manuals are the best, but they tend to be pretty expensive. I've always gotten by with a Haynes or Chilton's manual. READ the sections on the brakes. While there are specialized brake tools, you probably won't need 'em (though the job will go quicker & easier with the right tools!). Personally, I say buy 'em -- even with replacing EVERYTHING & buying a repair manual & brake tools, you will still be cheaper than the $1200 quote you got.

Brakes are easy, you just want to take your time, feel comfortable with what you're doing, and keep things clean (the pads & shoes & the drum & rotor surface need to be free of grease & oil!). Particularly on the drums, only do one side at a time (so you can refer to the still-put-togther side). I would also suggest only do one pair at a time, too - do one axle, front or rear - and put it all back together and make sure it all works okay and everything is fine, before you tackle the other axle. Once you get more experience, you could do them all at once, but better to take small steps if you're not completely comfortable.

Next, go to your favorite LPS (local parts store - I frequent Autozone myself), and see if they will print you out a price list for everything you would be getting; if you have the money to buy it, go ahead, otherwise, you can figure out your budget.

Then go to it.

- john
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM
New User

classicrock_fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
thank you so much. i am going to print ur reply and use it to help me. ur the only one that just made it clear. very blunt. thank u alot. seriously
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 AM