N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Ya know, I reeeeealy have to clean up(out) my shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:13 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya know, I reeeeealy have to clean up(out) my shop

I spent a good hour yesterday looking enough box tubing to make some crossmembers for my '31, so I'm going through iron piles, chasing away a few wayward wasps, sweating, getting pi$$ed, and finally said to heck with it, I'll just go buy some.

So back to the '31 to take some measurements and figure how much of what I need, and out of the corner of my eye I spy some box tubing...not just "some", but probably 13-15 20 and 24 foot lenths of 21/2 x 3/16th I'd bought a few years ago to make what is now my shop....

Just sorta buried under and behind boxes, parts, etc...

So, one more trip out bacl looking for some 3/16th plate to weld on the end of the box tubing so I can bolt the crossmembers in....

ANother 30-45 minutes of sweating, fighting wasps, etc, and I say to heck with it, I'll just buy some and be done with it.

So, heading back into the shop, I walk in and my 5 YO is sitting on the ground with a piece of soapstone, drawing, I look a litle closer and she's drawing on a piece of 5inch wide, 3/16th, about 10 foot long.

Geez, I really got get organized someday.

But, good news is I get to give Dans welder a test run today

Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, didn't use Dan's welder, but did get the front crossmember built, was going to just make motor mount, but decided to make a crossmember to mount the MM's to and stiffen up the frame. Doing everything as a "bolt in", so incase who ever buys this beast want's return it to original, it would be easy to do.

Don't worry Dan, I will give you welder a burn in run before the days over!

PS. If it works better than mine, you know which one you get, right?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
So put the wasps to work so you can take a break

Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But you can tape & zip tie anything that gets in your way!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:17 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Isn't there a joke like that?

"You really know you need to clean up your shop when..."

Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp
But you can tape & zip tie anything that gets in your way!
I wonder if I could unroll the tape like a flytrap?

Naw, my luck I'd get wrapped up in it and the wasps.

Thanks again Dale.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
Isn't there a joke like that?

"You really know you need to clean up your shop when..."
No kidding...the only cool thing about digging stuff out of corners is all the other stuff you find!

Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
So, I did finish off the crossmember today (needed to grind the welds to make it look like one piece of metal, but still have to plug some gaps from the long-ish cuts). Got it tacked in then drilled it and bolted it in, this way whom-ever can just knock out the tacks, unbolt it and go back to original again if they want.

Next up is the tranny x-member, had to pull the original one out as it interfered with the 727.

Gonna be one short-a$$ed driveline though...maybe 3 foot at most.

Damn this kinda stuff if fun!

I just wish I had the means (read $$) to take it all the way and make a real hotrod out of it, but it'll be at the point where it running and whoever winds up with it can make the next decision.

Good thing for me is it's been so long since I've dne some of these things (x-members, engine mounts, lining things up) that it takes some time, but rekindles some things I did and lnew about many years ago...kinda like a relearning curve.

Once I get the tranny set, I'll jump back to the 9-inch for the '36 and get it ready...see if I can get by without breaking another case

Last edited by 3Mike6; 07-29-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:23 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, had a slow day today, but did pick up a new set of MotorMounts, I'll lay them in the crossmember tomorrow when we get hom and figure out the tranny mount....then...I'll get busy on the 9-inch.

Any of you Mopar-kinda guys know if they make a short tailshaft for a 727? From the looks of it, I'm only going to have a 3-foot or so long driveshaft, makes the angles a bit tight.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think there was 3 different lengths for the 727 tail. The shortes being a 4X4, and the other 2 were fairly long. I had to replace one on my dad's van after I tossed a drive shaft on the highway. I think the pickup or car versions were the shorter ones.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
I believe the car versions had the short ones. It has been a long time since I owned any 727 equipped Mopars though. Most mine were small block V8's with the 904.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I have a problem guys. Well more than one, but lets focus on this one. Since I started getting into restoring my Ford, my garage is shrinking. I go into it and trip over the replacement hood, scrape my knees on some fenders, avoid damaging a '70 grille, and usually knock over some type of engine paint.

Is there any cure for this? The first symptom was when I bought two fenders from Dan. Wait... IT'S DAN'S FAULT!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:31 AM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Ask Mike (3Mike6) for advice on organizing your workshop. , but yes... Everything else is Dan's fault...

Last edited by AnOldDog; 07-31-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:35 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
There is no cure for that problem - - - whatever amount of space you got, you put 25% more stuff in it than it should hold. Ask Mike - he has 6 acres and three buildings!

And, the last time I checked, he was pushing the horse out of his shade. . . .

Last edited by WillyB; 07-31-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by fastmover
I have a problem guys. Well more than one, but lets focus on this one. Since I started getting into restoring my Ford, my garage is shrinking. I go into it and trip over the replacement hood, scrape my knees on some fenders, avoid damaging a '70 grille, and usually knock over some type of engine paint.

Is there any cure for this? The first symptom was when I bought two fenders from Dan. Wait... IT'S DAN'S FAULT!!!
Start hanging stuff from the ceiling. Dig a pit, throw the parts in and cover it with plywood. Build a shed outside / plastic bag everything and place it outside. Buy a shrink ray, or maybe sell off some stuff. That reminds me I need to get on eBay and sell off some of my stuff.

Maybe, that way I can buy more stuff. DOH !%#??!!! See what you started

Last edited by Mecinoid; 07-31-2007 at 03:04 AM.