1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Ford Tow Command "TBC Fault" message

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
meghan1937
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBC Fault

I had a dead battery, charged it for a short time but was not enough to start it. I got all kinds of clicking from the firewall. After I got it started, noticed TBC Fault on odometer. Thought it was some kind of code. Hooked up trailer, no power at all. removed brake controller and had power to it and power when brake applied. Replaced controller, brakes work good and code is gone. Controller was $270.00 new from dealer.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
05v10
Mountain Pass
brake controller

Was this a Ford controller? I would like to find one with out the master cylinder and the $500 dollar price tag. Could you get the part number of the one you got? The 270 is much better looking.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
meghan1937
New User
Originally Posted by 05v10
Was this a Ford controller? I would like to find one with out the master cylinder and the $500 dollar price tag. Could you get the part number of the one you got? The 270 is much better looking.
Yes it was a Ford part. don't have the part number anymore but, if you pull the controller out the number is on the unit. There are 4 spring clips that hold it in. shop around because I did get different prices from other dealers.Good luck

Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Bearsixty7
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '06 PSD just started doing this. I bought it new Mar '06 and now have 63k miles on it. Thought maybe I caused it by bumping it.

Last week I plugged my sony walkman into the FRD04 input cable that comes out from under the dash. I have the FRD04 sitting just below and to the right of where the TBC is and the left channel wasn't playing so I was in there through the little drop down storage cubby reseating the left and right RCA cables, turns out no matter which input goes into the left no sound comes out, appears my FRD04 has gone bad.
So after putting everything back the TBC fault came on. I verified the 2 plugs on the back of the TBC and they look well connected. I unplug and plug back in and no change.

A couple days ago I had both batteries disconnected for over an hour so I could clean the positive terminal on the driver side battery and spray with some terminal sealer also hoping this would clear the TBC error. No luck.

Yesterday I verified all the trailer light and brake fuses and all look good, I even swapped the relay with another, and no change.

I took my SCT tuner and checked and no codes show.

I then hooked up my trailer and everything works, The controller display stays on, The green "trailer" connected led is green, all running lights work, both turn signals work. The brakes come on and will lock up the tires if the gain is high or I manually apply the trailer brakes. All appears to work fine with trailer on.

Code still comes on after starting truck with or without trailer connected.

About $260 for a new controller from Ford parts guy. Hoping I can find a good deal on a used one.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM
shellshock
Junior User
tbc faults

I've got the exact same thing happening. What did you do to fix it? I checked all the fuses and nothing.
Originally Posted by allingeneral
I get the TBC fault every time I start my truck as well ('06 F250 diesel). It's annoying. I have found that I can press the Odometer Reset switch once to clear it from the display, and it doesn't come back until the next time I start it up.

It also seems that the brake controller has stopped working altogether. There is no display on the TBC, even when I try to manually apply. This is without anything hooked to the system. I've never even used the brake controller!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM
psdendurance
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same problem. 2 dealers and 2 controllers under warranty, NG. Connectors cables plugs all checked and cleaned by dealer and me, NG.
Removed the controller and installed a Prodigy. Used the same slot. Tapped into the correct wires. Worked great.

Had other issues with the 6.0PSD - traded on 06 V-10 with the brake controller. Works fine so far
I carry the Prodigy and the rear end speed sensor in the truck, just in case.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
cmfd70
New User
TBC Fault but it all works

Several months ago my truck started occasionally giving a "trailer disconnected" message when I was driving without a trailer. (never got that message when the trailer was connected) about 2 months ago I noticed when I hit a bump or closed the storage box by the brake controller I again would get the trailer disconnected message. In a few weeks it began displaying the "TBC Fault" message every time I started the truck. The reset button does clear the message until I start the truck again. I checked the receptacle at the bumper and the connections on the controller but found nothing unusual. I am suspicious of the controller because of the sensitivity to bumps and jarring. Still researching for an answer common to several trucks.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
What to try

Pull apart the rear connector and clean it. I did that and it worked for about a year.
I got the message a second time and I ended up putting in a new master cylinder

Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
I have the same problem with brake controller plus my whole dash had to be replaced because I had no pwr windows, cruise, gauges , wipers, nothing. I bought the truck in 08, it was an 06 that sat on lot for 2 years. The tires lasted 10,000 miles ( rotten ) and the dash went out at 55,000 miles (out of warranty) . No help from Ford dealer because I bought it a wholesale price . Its a F350 reg cab with utility body and pipe rack on it. I paid a little over $16k. I changed the oil every 5000 miles and lost the engine at 100,000 miles.I guess it all evens out. Dropped in a new FoMoCo 5.4 , new dash and tires. The body is in great shape, so a new seat and brake controller to come and it should make another 100k

Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM
s91Ford
5th Wheeling
TBC fault

the other day i went over a bump and i got a tbc fault when i step on the brake, also had no brake or blinkers. i found 20amp fuse for ext. lights and 30amp long fuse were bad. changed both all is well for a few days no i just moved truck from one spot to another and have same tbc fault when stepping on brake and no brake or blinkers. i have read prior post just looking to see if there is a solid fix to this problem..

thanks
Al
2006 f250 psd 4x4

Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM
deb0650
New User
I have the same issue with the TBC fault and "check trailer" indicators. I started playing around with it and noticed that when I bumped or moved the controller the errors would come on. I don't tow with electric brakes so don't use the controller. It started doing this a couple months ago. Dry weather here in SoCal so probably not a moisture issue. I got annoyed with it so this morning I disconnected to two connectors to the controller so now it is completely without power and disabled. But when I start the engine the TBC fault comes on, I guess because a signal is being sent to the controller and it is not responding so the TBC fault lights. Anyways, pressing the reset gets rid of it. Better than hearing the stupid beep every couple minutes when I drive. Since this was happening when I moved or jiggled the controller it is pretty certain the controller is bad.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
So does the uplift have anything to do with the thc?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:56 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP here putting a final word on this thread...

I took my TBC apart today and it was immediately obvious what the problem was. There are two circuit boards inside the unit - one for the front controls (+ and - button, thumb actuator and digital display) and the second one is the main board of the unit. When I started working the control panel board out of the chassis, the ribbon cable going to the main board just popped off of the front control board! There were 8 pins, I think, and they were all cold solder joints. So, I put the cable back where it belonged and flowed solder over all the pins, went and tested it and... Wha-La! It lit up for the first time in years! No "TBC Fault" in the odometer. I'm a happy camper. Too bad quality control on these units seems to be a little weak.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
allingeneral
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm..just looked back 0 I thought this was my thread...I guess I just posted in it a long time ago. So, nevermind the "OP" comment above. It wasn;t me. Happy ending to my story, anyway

Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Andy Bostaph
New User
Unhappy found a new "TBC Fault" problem

i recently got an 07 F250 6.0 with 55k on it. but i have a "TBC Fault" code when i start the truck and it is erasable but i noticed tonight that my trailer lights work right till i hit the brakes and the the left brake light on the trailer stay on. but the right one works great. do you have any insight on this issue. the trailer lights are installed on the custom headache rack and it is grounded 6 ways from Sunday. any help i am grateful for. thanks

i have tried on a number of different factory trailer testers and it still does the same problem.

:'(

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Ford Tow Command "TBC Fault" message