Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

glow plug pulling

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:06 AM
idifamilycab
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glow plug pulling

ok so i need to finally replace my glow plugs but i know at least one of them is melted/distorted and i can get it out of its hole. If i cant get the broken off glow plug tip out of the prechamber and i need to pull the heads, what else should i do while the heads are off? of course that is last resort and i will make sure the piston is at tdc before i pull the plug out(should be easier to get g/p tip out.) can you polish heads the same way in a gasser to gain power? i cant afford head studs. how much is a head gasket kit? and where should i get it. are there any things to avoid while pulling the heads.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 AM
ajbeiler
Senior User
well if you drop the broken peice of glow plug it you might be able to put a magnet down the hole and get it. if you have ran it and a peice is already broke you eill find a pison with alot of marks all over the head and piston will not be pretty,ive seen this. i would just pull the heads, as far a head studs not to bad just make sure you torque them in the wright order and at the proper spec. make sure that you put oil on the bolt heads and treads, and i would replace you injector nozzles. easy fix and lots of power with marine ones. if your glow plugs melted i would find out how much voltage is going to them and get alittle better one this time. and if you take any of the fuel system parts off make sure that you keep them very very clean not dust or dirt will cause lots of problems. get high quality gaskets. this is a great time also to make sure that all the water ports are clean. well good luck hope this helps if you have more questions pm me

Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 PM
tbone91
Elder User
You'll need a hoist to put the head back on for sure, they're heavy.

Don't remove the IP gear housing, or you'll loose the timing. In the end, it's a lot easier to remove the pump from the housing.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 PM
ajbeiler
Senior User
the heads aren't that heavy two of use students pulled them off and put them on. but i agree if your doing this by your self you need somthing to get it off

Old 07-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
For two people to get hold of the head, the engine has to be out of the truck.

After doing several engine swaps, I think that is the best way to get a good job.

Going by the standard labor guide, the time difference between doing the heads in the truck and pulling the engine to do the heads, pulling the engine is actually faster on a turbo engine.

Setting the heads on an engine while you have both feet flat on the floor is much easier than standing on your head in the engine compartment trying to do it.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 07-29-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 AM
idifamilycab
Senior User
Ok ok, the weight of the heads isnt an issue. If I have to I will find a way. But if and when i do pull the heads, What else should i look for, or do to, to improve? Like i asked before, Can i polish the combustion chambers and the ports to improve air flow like on a gasser? Should i be replacing the valve stem seals? The motor has 180k on it and still runs strong. Also what brand head gaskets should i buy, and where can i get them. I think i have an International dealer in town. Just looking for info. Also if i were to pull the motor i might find my self doing a lot more than just replacing the glow plugs.(The wife would kill me)Also, what is the firing order?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I used Fel-Pro gaskets and am having good results with them.

Firing order is 1,2,7,3,4,5,6,8.

Valve stem seals are cheap, might as well replace them while the heads are out.
While you are replacing the seals, you can check for excess play in the valve guides.
After that many miles, you might also check the tension of the valve springs for weak ones.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM
idifamilycab
Senior User
thanks will check into that

Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM
tbone91
Elder User
Originally Posted by idifamilycab
Can i polish the combustion chambers and the ports to improve air flow like on a gasser?
The bottom of the heads are flat. The "(pre-)combustion chanbers" are in in hardened steel inserts which I wouldn't plan on messing with. As for the ports, I'm not so sure if it would make much difference.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

You will see a small increase in power by enlarging the ports and getting the exhaust manifold ports to match up with the head ports a little better.