1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

diesel rangers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:13 PM
ridemypanhead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

This Mazda B2200 has 115,000 miles, all there except trans because I am going to keep the 5 speed.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM
tempforce
Senior User
where are you located?

Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 AM
ridemypanhead
New User
In Minnesota. 10 Miles south of Rochester, 2 miles off of I 90

Thanks, Ken

Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 AM
silverback57
New User
Originally Posted by tempforce
i scrapped a '87' 2.3 turbo diesel ranger this past year. the 2.3 turbo is the one with a aluminum head. drive belts and a short life.

i currently own a '83' 2.2 diesel ford ranger with the perkins/mazda engine. 230,000 miles on it. i have a 2 tank fuel system, burning a 95% diesel mix in the small tank. and a 95% filtered waste cooking oil in the second tank. it has a heat exchanger to preheat the veg oil prior to the injection pump. 30,000 miles using veg oil. i average 30-38 mpg. depending on load and the right foot. my paperwook says it has 56 hp.
it has saved me hundreds of $$$ on fuel expenses.
fordtruck272: i used to have a 64 1/2 ton with that engine, with the police 312 cam...
it was a nice runner.
anyone have any questions, check out this site: http://north76.proboards11.com/index.cgi
we all have trucks with the mazda/perkins engines
or this site: The Ranger Station Forums
cc

interested in asking some questions but pm doesn't work. can you contact me via email:

slvrbak57@gmail.com

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 AM
silverback57
New User
Originally Posted by David85
These trucks are pretty rare, and finding them is gettng harder all the time. The donor truck that we used for our conversion was trashed to say the least, rusted out and all the glass was smahed.

So far I've only seen two other diesel rangers on the road, and chances are they're not for sale either. One of them looked like a restoration, and the other was used for towing a flatbed trailer. Both were long box, reg cabs (even the donor was).

Form what I can tell either no one bought the auto version or it was never offered with it from factory to begin with.

I have seen the odd one on Ebay, even a ram50 diesel, which uses the same engine.
interested in your build are there more details

Old 09-26-2014, 03:02 AM
silverback57
New User
Tempforce just joined the north76 to ask questions. i also realized that i need 5 post to get PM's going.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:50 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silverback57
interested in your build are there more details
I'm working in camp at the moment, so I don't have any photos handy but here is the rundown on the diesel ranger in its current form. I rebuilt the engine a second time a few years ago since I had more time and money to do it properly.

This was originally a rare 1987 ranger xlt 4wd with extra cab and the optional factory dual tanks (Sadly I'm still looking for a rear one after the old one rusted out many years ago...). And yes, I am running fuel tanks and lines originally intended for use in a gasser.

The original EFI in tank pumps were removed and the pump in the frame rail was replaced with carb style electric pump that tops out near 8 PSI instead of ~50. I tried using the EFI pump, but the diesel fuel filter ballooned from the pressure. The fuel filtration system is the same as early chevy 6.2s, so spare parts aren't an issue there.

The engine is now bored 20 thou over and a newer 4d56 style head installed. This has a roller camshaft (stock) and the head uses thicker wall castings for better stiffness to resist cracking and warping.

The 4d55 and 4d56 both have aluminum heads that are attached with 6 bolts per cylinder, so EGTs, overheating or improperly torqued head bolts are about the only way to blow a head gasket. Although to be honest, I've learned many lessons the hard way and am not really afraid of a head gasket job in this engine anymore. There's only one gasket and its not really that hard to get to compared to many V-block engines out there.

This is a dry sleeved engine with piston oil squirters, and wrist pins that are a tad thicker than in my 6.9L internation diesel (1986 Ford F250). The pistons also seem to be drilled for added piston cooling again above and beyond what is in my 6.9.

The stock wastegated turbo was replaced with a new water cooled turbo sized for the 4d56. I had the option to go with a larger turbo but I didn't want to sacrifice low end torque. These engines cannot get out of their own way without a turbo. Its scary how gutless they are naturally aspirated...so basically, its one step up from the size I already had.

Then I bought a cheap used intercooler from a mitsubishi L400, which uses the later 4d56 engine. It was a tight squeeze, but I managed to fit it sleeper style behind the stock grill. I did have to move the oil cooler to the driver's side of the vehicle centerline but it all fit nicely. The grill has a slight outward bow added to clear the intercooler.

I had the stock nippondenso injector pump (japanese licensed clone of the bosch VE found on older VW diesels) rebuilt at a local shop. The fuel settings are either stock or slightly turned back from stock right now and the truck has decent power.

Peak for peak, it is still less horsepower than the 2.9 V6, but it can top 85 MPH with taller rear springs, high rise canopy and rack on top. Top speed on 10% was about 45-50 MPH empty when it was still being broken in.

The one last thing I did was change the tires from 235 back to the stock 205s that are listed on the VIN sticker. It does nothing for the trucks look but it helped bring the final gearing into a more usable range and further improved mileage. Although now that its broken in with a proper build, It probably wouldn't care if I put 235s on it again.

Highest long distance MPG was 29. This was a combination of 70-75 MPH cruising with city and dense urban expressways. My dad is thinking to downsize to something like this, so I may get the chance to build another one sometime. I still have a few ideas left to sqeeze a little more out of a possible MK2.

Oh, and in response to an earlier post I made hear a long time ago, automatic transmission was never an option for the diesel rangers. It may be possible to adapt an automatic 4 speed overdrive from a mitsubishi Pajero, delica, or similar JDM import. I'm still reading up on that one though.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:52 AM
silverback57
New User
any idea if one could swap a 2.2/2.3 l ford ranger diesel in a more modern ranger? what would need to be swapped or modified.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:29 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the only ranger I've converted so far, but this guy was in touch with me for a while when he was still dialing his in:

His was a 1994 with a newer style front clip.
There are links in the video description that show more of his build.

At the very least, you would need to get either the diesel specific bell housing for a 2.3 turbo, or the adapter plate for the 2.2. And no, the bolt patterns are not the same between the two diesels.

The older 2.2s were available with a 4 or 5 speed manual. A 5 speed is probably redundant in terms of highway cruising though.

The later 2.3 could come with a toyo-goygo 5 speed or a mitsubishi FM146 5 speed. Both are structurally similar and I was able to take the bell housing off one and fit it to the stock 5 speed that came with the truck. The clutch slave cylinders changed around the 1986 mark, so you may have to mix&match parts there too, depending on the model years of parts you're dealing with.