HELP! Automatic tranny wont fit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 03:51 PM
niteowl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to put an 83 Mustang GT engine into my 60 F100 and the torque converter for the C4 tranny will not bolt to the back of the engine.

The engine originally had a manual transmission and there is no recessed hole for the end of the torque converter to fit so the bolts will not reach.

Is there a way to make this work without swapping out the crank?
A different flywheel or torque converter?

I am a bit of a newbie on this so suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2000, 04:42 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, because that engine had a manuel trans. originally it probably has a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft if it has a small hole in the middle of it that is prob. what the problem is. what you need to do is fill that little hole with grease and take something about the same size as the hole and hold it up there and tap it in the hole it will act as a hydraulic ram and push out the bushing which will leave enough room for the stub on your torque converter to slip in then your bolts will reach. John Sugden
i967mustang(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 11-13-2000, 09:42 AM
niteowl
Senior User

You are right, it is a bushing. When I looked at it before it appeared to be all of one piece.
I really need better lighting in my garage.

Inside the bushing is a set of bearings that I was able to remove but the bushing is in there tight. Will have to keep working at it.

I should have no trouble with a C4 tranny to this engine right? It looks like the torque converter is the same as the AOD I have and the bellhousing definitely fits.
I am just hoping there is no difference in transmission length between the C4 and the AOD for when I do the swap next year.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-24-2000, 11:13 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back but I've been working on my 40 ford pickup. if you pack grease in the center of the bushing and get something round that fits in the hole snug you should be able to just tap in the round stock and the bushing will push itself out of the crankshaft it works like hydraulics.
John (fatforty)

Old 11-25-2000, 03:09 AM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru

Which direction are you going with your swap? C-4 to AOD or, AOD to C-4?

I believe one is shorter than the other one I'm not sure which way it is though. I recently read an article in Mustang Monthly where they did this swap on a 67 mustang. They used an AOD in place of a C-4 to get better mileage. They did have to buy a new drive shaft (I don't remember if was a shorter one or a longer one though.)

My advice would be to call some tranny shops and get the specs on them before you do anything definite.

Just a thought....

"You can always tell a Chevy owner, You just can't tell them very much."

Old 11-27-2000, 03:10 PM
perrymb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post